Kickin’ It With Kamut

After my grocery shop yesterday, I knew exactly what I was going to make for breakfast this morning – Kamut flakes! Sunday really is the perfect day to try out new things, especially when you aren’t sure how long they take to cook up ;)

I followed the instructions on the package in regards to the ratio of kamut to liquid. Here’s what I used:

• 1/3 cup kamut flakes
  • 1/2 cup each water & Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
  • 2 tbsp (?) raisins
  • splash of vanilla
  • liberal sprinkling of cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp flax seed
  • drizzle of maple syrup
  • more unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Per the instructions, I brought the first 6 ingredients to a boil, then simmered until the liquid was absorbed to my liking. Definitely takes longer than oats (5 – 10 min). Then I stirred in the flaxseed, and topped with the maple syrup & more milk.

I also had a few uber ripe strawberries along side.

And a glass of sunny Mango Peach Party.

I quite enjoyed the Kamut flakes. They make for a much chewier, more textured bowl of hot cereal than oats do, which is a nice change. I don’t find that they have a really distinct flavour unto themselves – I guess you could say they are a bit nuttier than oats, but it’s not like there is an overwhelming taste or anything. It does make me want to try out some other hot cereal options though – I saw alot of things I would have bought while at the store yesterday if I wasn’t trying to be a fiscally responsible ;)

Big thanks to Katie for not only advocating the kamut flakes, but hosting the New Foods Challenge! Have you checked out the challenge? Why not try it out – you might discover something awesome!

Now I’m off to run some errands – need a new shirt to wear next weekend, and I need to renew my car insurance. Booo. Have a good Sunday everyone!

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast

9 Comments on “Kickin’ It With Kamut”

1. May 3, 2009 at 11:56 am #

I absolutely love all the different hot grain cereals. I had amaranth flakes not too long ago and they were amazing too!

2. May 3, 2009 at 12:01 pm #

I am intrigued by these, I am going to have to try them as I love nutty grains.

3. May 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm #

Mmmmm you already know what I think about kamut… and yours is temtping me!!

Gosh, I completely missed Game 1! I guess cuz it’s on so late over here. But I’m in the groove now, so I won’t miss game three (unless maybe I was bad luck for game 2 and therefore shouldn’t watch game three…?). No, I’ll watch anyways because the Canucks are my team now (well, them and Carolina, because anyone who beats New Jersey TOTALLY ROCKS! I hate the devils!)

Happy Sunday, dear Marianne!

4. May 3, 2009 at 3:08 pm #

Those sound very interesting!! You’ll have to let us know if they held you longer than oatmeal!

By the way, I’m currently sitting through the 2nd over time of the Wings game….unamused.

5. May 3, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

Glad to hear you liked the kamut flakes! I’m going to have to run out and buy some this week because you’re bowl totally has me craving some! ;)

6. May 3, 2009 at 5:36 pm #

thanks for the kamut flakes info, i am also doing the new foods challenge (kale as my first pick) but i think i will buy some kamut flakes!

7. May 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm #

I love kamut! I use the puffs because I can’t find the flakes but they are still delicious !

8. May 3, 2009 at 8:56 pm #

MMmmm, I really need to find these!

9. broccolihut
    May 3, 2009 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks for the review on the kamut flakes–they sound like a nice change of pace from my usual oatmeal/oat bran.