How To Celebrate Your 31st Birthday

Someone turned 31 yesterday.

(Hint – it was me)

Here’s my step by step guide on celebrating this non-milestone birthday.

The Day Before…

…find a cake recipe. Preferably chocolate.

IMG_0046

IMG_0048

Maybe a recipe that uses some non-traditional cake ingredients.

IMG_0061

IMG_0050

And was featured in the local newspaper twice in the past few months (recipe here).

Bake said cake so it’s ready to go on the big day.

IMG_0018

Then go about your business as usual.

On Your Birthday…

…wake up far too early because you have to work. Think about making yourself a special birthday breakfast, and realize you don’t have enough time. Instead, you have cereal with apples and peanut butter

IMG_0008

Down some green juice for good measure – you aren’t getting any younger, and you know you have that chocolately cake coming up.

IMG_0009

Also make a mental note of how you are up before the sun has made it up over the trees to shine in your yard, making your photos look dark. Curse at yourself for not taking the day off work.

Go to work, wearing the most heinous circa 1970’s tie your dad owns. (Did I mention I have to wear a tie to work?)

IMG_0010

He may have worn that at my parents wedding.

Eat a stuffed falafel pita you packed for yourself for lunch, because no one at work buys you lunch on your birthday…or remembers to give you a card.

IMG_0057

While enjoying said falafel, smile at all the birthday well wishes you have received from your Facebook friends.

IMG_0014

Stay at work later than planned, sorting out extra work shifts and doing some important grocery shopping. Like buying more chocolate to decorate your cake.

Make a choco-cherry smoothie to fuel you through said cake decorating.

IMG_0016

Melt chocolate. Forgo the double boiler method. That’s for pansies. Direct heat baby! I’m hardcore.

IMG_0021

Clumsily transfer hot melted chocolate into a ziploc bag because you don’t own any pastry bags. I’m also a baking MacGyver.

IMG_0022

Decorate as you see fit. Or until the cheap ziploc bag breaks and you end up with chocolate all over yourself. Which of course you have to lick off ;)

IMG_0024

Repeat with dark chocolate, including the part with the exploding bag. Consume more chocolate. Add raspberries. Photograph.

IMG_0029

Repeatedly.

IMG_0028

IMG_0026

Think about doing some exercise (Insanity anyone?), but realize that due to your quickly advancing age, you should probably rest up for dinner. So you read blogs and play Farmville instead.

Beautify self, and head out to dinner with your family. Comment on how you haven’t received any birthday cards – even from your own mom. Get told that card has been sitting on the bookshelf all day. Wonder if your eyesight is starting to fail you now that you are in your 30’s. Order a mojito to help forget about it.

Enjoy your dinner out at Browns Social House. Fail to take pictures because a) the lighting was dodgy, b) the food wasn’t really plated that amazingly, and c) because you are drinking said mojito. (For the record, I had the Ocean Wise Halibut – potato crusted with tartar sauce, with almond rice and a salad with dates, corn, feta, soy beans and walnuts. Highly recommended, but ask them to go easy on the dressing – my salad was a wee bit over dressed).

Get your only non-monetary birthday gift from your cousin’s wife.

IMG_1370

White truffle infused olive oil from Italy!

IMG_1371

Try and come up with creative uses for said gift. Only think of mashed potatoes. Help?

Return home, and enjoy birthday cake with family. Just in case you forgot what it looks like…

IMG_0035

One more?

IMG_0030

Call it a night sometime after Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have provided you with your nightly laughs.

The Day After…

Blog about said birthday while a ferry whisks you away to Victoria for the weekend to keep this party going! Because really, 31 isn’t that old at all ;)

IMG_1395

And hope to hell BC Ferries’ free onboard Wi-Fi holds up while you upload this blog post. Later!

PS – dinner tonight at Veneto! Still undecided on what to order…scallops, crab, veggie tapas? What would you have?

About these ads

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Birthday, Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch

15 Comments on “How To Celebrate Your 31st Birthday”

1. August 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, DEAR MARIANNE!!!!!!!

2. August 13, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

Sounds like you enjoyed a great day! I’ve had that brand of oil before, but it was garlic. I used it to roast veggies primarily. A little went a long way.

Hope you have a blast out on the island this weekend. :)

3. August 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

happy birthday! sounds like it was a good one.

you can use truffle oil to drizzle over pasta dishes and creamy soups. it’s more a finishing oil then a cooking oil.

4. August 13, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

Happy Belated Birthday! Victoria is such a nice city, a great way to continue the celebration. :)

5. August 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

Happy Birthday Marianne!!!!!

6. August 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

Happy belated birthday!

7. August 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

I’m sorry I missed giving you wishes on your actual birthday. I think your cake more than made up for my absence. Happy Birthday!!!

8. August 13, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

Happy Birthday to one of my favourite bloggers, VANOC volunteer, and future dining partner! Now if you would only stop running away when I’m in town! lol :P

9. August 14, 2010 at 6:06 am #

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD. Come cook for me, please?

oh…and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! if you weren’t so far away i’d send you a present. oh well. :/

10. August 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

oh i wish i was there to have celebrated!!! i wouldnt have been able to make an incredible cake like this one but im sure ud like a nice chocolate muffin snacking squirrel style :)

happy belated birthday love!

11. shelly@campinggirlchronicals
    August 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Happy Birthday!! The cake looks amazing!

I have nominated you for a blogger award. I love reading your blog and am so envious of your pics :)

12. August 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Happy Birthday Love!!! It looks like you had a nice amount of tasty chocolate cake!!

How was your trip??
    xxoo

13. August 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! That cake is gorgeous!!

14. August 23, 2010 at 3:32 am #

Happy (belated now) birthday. That tie is truly hideous, but the cake looks divine! And 31 really isn’t that old…yet ;)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Evolution Of A Food Blogger « french fries to flax seeds - October 5, 2010

[...] August 12, 2010 – I celebrate my 31st birthday, and even bake my own cake. [...]