This Week In Dietetics

Why hello there wonderful blog readers. Sorry about the little absence there from the blog – as I figured might be the case this year, school, work, and life took over a bit this week. Couple that with lack of sleep, and posting was one of the last things on my mind. But it’s all good – I’m still working on finding that balance this semester. It always takes a bit of time to settle in to a new schedule.

Because of all of this, I’ve also not taken my camera out as often as I would like to photograph my eats. I’ll still do a “This Week In Food” post tomorrow, even if it’s a bit on the short side. But right now, I thought I’d give you a synopsis about what I’ve been up to this week in regards to my dietetics program. Can you tell I’m still excited to be in this select group of individuals?

So, what has been taking up all of my time?

• Writing my dietetics blog. This was the biggest time suck, but a fun one. I spent way too many hours formatting things so they looked perfect to my discerning eye. Fortunately, our school uses a version of WordPress, which includes a bunch of fun themes not available on the free version I use here. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be able to connect to my school blog so I can do all of my posts in Windows Live Writer. This has made for some frustrated writing. But I figured it out, and I’m happy with it so far. I’m not going to post the link here for privacy reasons, but if you really have some burning desire to read my school musings, send me an email, and I’ll decide if I’m going to give the link out or not.
  • UBC Dietetics Newsletter Committee. I decided to join and practice my writing skills…because, you know, I don’t get enough of that. I’ll get to write two articles this year. One will be an article of my choice for two residences on campus, while the other will be a food of the month article for Agora Cafe on campus. So now, I’d like some input – if you live or have lived in residence, and you have access to cooking facilities, what kind of nutrition/food related article would you want to read? Something that I can write in 1 – 1.5 pages.
  • Arranging site visits. In the coming weeks, I will be doing my first official site visits for dietetics – one residential car facility, and one acute care facility. It will be great to get out there with a few of my classmates and meet with RD’s in care facilities.
  • Sorting out a group research project. In my Land, Food, and Community class, we have to do a semester long community based research project. Ours will focus on the effects of declining salmon stocks on food security in various communities and groups here in BC. Perfect for a fish expert like me!
  • Getting social. Our dietetics class has also been working hard to to set up an unofficial social committee so we can get together outside of school and get to know each other better. I’m looking forward to having some true friends on campus.

There so much more, but those are really the highlights. So despite being busy, I’ve been having fun, and am truly enjoying the whole experience. Although I will admit, part of me wishes I was already at the internship, even though I know I don’t have the working knowledge to do so yet.

But that’s enough writing from me. I feel like that’s all I’ve done this past week. So I shall leave you with a food photo, just to whet your appetite for more to come this week. And I promise, I will have posts for you all week.

IMG_1366

A chocolatey twist on Katie’s Banana Bread Blender Cereal. Never a bad way to start off your school day.

Now I must sleep. I have the whole day free tomorrow, and I expect to get up to some food blogger shenanigans tomorrow. Until then…night!

About these ads

Tags:

Categories: Dietetics, School

7 Comments on “This Week In Dietetics”

1. September 26, 2010 at 5:41 am #

I want to swim in that chocolate cereal! Seriously, I need goggles.

P.S. Never feel badly for not having time to blog. Life comes first! :)

2. September 26, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Hahaha, you’re describing my life right now! Well, except for LFS, sooooo glad I’m done that course. Did you get your Live Writer to work with the Land and Food wordpress? Or are you just managing using the website.

As for the articles, as someone who lives in rez, it’s always good to find healthy, fun and easy recipes for one. Cause cooking for yourself can kind of be a total bore, and results in frozen meals for many. Or something on how to grocery shop quickly, efficiently and get healthy food too. Or something about sharing a cooking space with others? Honestly I think most people here would be up for ANYTHING. Do you have an ideas you’re thinking of?

3. September 26, 2010 at 9:39 am #

i think the plan of setting up a committee that extends far beyond just your class setting is so fantastic!!! it would be a great way to connect with each other a little more and a great way to create friendships. id love to start something like this with my yoga class, and maybe we will once we get into the thick of it and start bonding more. its nice to have people to contact that u know understand what ur thinking, since they went through the learning process with you.

xoxo <3

4. September 26, 2010 at 11:07 am #

Sounds busy busy busy!
    Don’t worry about keeping up the blog TOO Much when life starts to get rough. We’ll still be here when you take care of it :)

5. September 27, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

You have been busy but I can see that it’s all exciting stuff!! Glad to hear it’s all going well!! :)

6. September 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

I love reading about all the classes and opportunities with dietetics now days. With my degree in Nutriton, Fitness & Health, it was in the same school so I took all but about 3 courses required of the dietetics majors. Blogs had barely hit the scene, if at all, and there were no cool classes like Land, Food and Community! I would have loved that. The Newsletter Committee sounds like a lot of fun!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. (Most Of) This Week In Food « from french fries to flax seeds - September 26, 2010

[...] a Comment  Another Sunday means another instalment of This Week In Food. As mentioned in my previous post, my camera has made fewer appearances this week due to the craziness that is life, so it’s not [...]