Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad

Despite my busy schedule this semester, I do still have a couple days a week where I can get home and spend some time making a warm lunch. Sure, there are plenty of warm options you can pack that travel well, but it’s not the same as when you cook it up and eat it right away.

This past week I had one of those afternoons. Although our fridge was looking a bit bare, I did manage to scrounge a few ingredients together, and ended up with a pretty tasty and nutrient filled lunch.

IMG_1365

January isn’t exactly considered salad season, but salads don’t have to be cold dishes. Instead of lettuce, sauté some hearty greens (like kale), and instead of chopped fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, why not roast some root vegetables (sweet potatoes and golden beets are rather nice)?

IMG_1367

Dress it up with a simple sauce (sweet chili) straight from the fridge, add a sprinkling of cheese (sheep’s milk feta) or nuts, and voila – an easy warm winter salad!

IMG_1363

Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad

serves 1

IMG_1364

• 1 small sweet potato, cubed
  • 2 beets (I used golden), peeled and cubed
  • 4 tsp avocado oil, divided
  • 3 cups chopped kale (I used black kale)
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder (to taste)
  • 2 tbsp crumbled sheep’s milk feta cheese
  • 1 – 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato and beets with 2 tsp avocado oil and salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Ensure they are evenly coated.

3. On a baking sheet, roasted for 20 – 25 min, turning once, until golden brown. Watch closely – you don’t want them to burn!

4. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the rest of the avocado oil and kale, and sauté until slightly wilted (3 – 5 min). Season with salt and pepper.

5. Layer the greens then roasted vegetables on a plate, top with crumbled feta, and drizzle with sweet chili sauce.

IMG_1366

Do you ever get the chance to head home and make lunch during the week? What’s your favourite thing to make when you do?

About these ads

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Lunch, Recipe, Vegetarian

7 Comments on “Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad”

1. January 29, 2011 at 4:37 am #

I never go home for lunch during the week but my husband does every day. His favourite is having leftovers from dinner the night before.

2. January 29, 2011 at 9:43 am #

I get to head home for lunch quite a bit. ;) Joys of being on campus. One of my fav lunches recently has been maybe a wee bit boring, but-oh-so-good: cooked quinoa, with steamed kale, and two sunny-side up eggs on top. hmmmmm soooo good!

3. January 29, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Gotta try this salad recipe ASAP!
    After a long search, I finally found a nice, simple and doable salad recipe :)

4. January 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

I look forward to Wednesdays every week now, because I get out of class at 1–just in time to rush home to make a hearty lunch! My favorite thing the past few weeks has been homemade soup–split pea, to be precise.

5. January 30, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Looks good… I have a roasted sweet potato & beet recipe on my blog as well but i add a bit of avocado, red onion and pine nuts to mine. It’s my all time favourite salad.

6. January 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Marianne this looks SO GOOD! lately roasted everything is what ive been craving! warm roasted veggie and root veg/spud salads are delicious!! i especially think its neat that u added avocado oil :) :)

xoxo

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How long do you cook 2 med sweet potatos with skins in the microwave? » Answer - January 29, 2011

[...] Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad « french fries to flax seeds [...]