Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Once again, just as life got busy, the baking bug hit me. Perhaps I needed a break from studying, or perhaps I just needed to satisfy a chocolate craving. Either way, I knew I needed to bake. Muffins are my go to baking project when I’m in the mood to “throw together” a new recipe from whatever we have on hand. You really can’t do too much to mess up a muffin when experimenting, especially when there’s chocolate involved.

IMG_1363

I had originally thought I would make a whole grain double chocolate chip muffin. Turns out we were almost out of cocoa powder, so I had to put my thinking cap back on. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies popped into my mind (perhaps because we’d just had some oatmeal raisin cookies?), and before I knew it, a recipe was born.

IMG_1365

After measuring, mixing, baking, and cooling the results were in. What I had was a dense, flavourful, moist whole grain muffin, studded with chocolate chips and a little crunch provided by chopped walnuts. Not too sweet, low in fat, and optionally vegan to boot! They may look small, but don’t be fooled – they will satisfy your sweet tooth and rumbly bellt.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

makes 12 small muffins

IMG_1371

• 1 cup non dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1/3 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/3 cup cane sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (use non-dairy chocolate chips for vegan)

IMG_1373

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a muffin pan, or fit with liners.

2. Combine non-dairy milk and flax seed in a medium bowl and set aside.

IMG_1375

3. In a large bowl combine oats, flours, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

IMG_1376

4. Stir in applesauce, olive oil, and vanilla into milk/flax seed mixture.

IMG_1378

5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until almost combined. Add walnuts and chocolate chips, and mix until just combined.

IMG_1379

6. Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.

IMG_1384

6. Bake for 15 – 18 min, until muffins are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

IMG_1399

Enjoy them as an afternoon snack or with a cup of tea. Heck, they’d even make a good breakfast with some fruit and yogurt!

IMG_1370

Let me know if you give them a try and how you liked them!

About these ads

Tags: , ,

Categories: Baking, Recipe, Snack, Vegan, Vegetarian

11 Comments on “Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins”

1. March 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

These look amazing! I’ve been looking for a chocolate chip muffin recipe :P These are going on the to-try list!

2. March 9, 2011 at 8:47 am #

OM nom nom. Sounds delicious! I’ll have to head out and grab me some walnuts and chocolate chips to get on this recipe pronto! :D

3. March 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

I REALLY WANNA MAKE THESE! yup i’ll let you know for sure if i do- all i can really say is YUMMMMMMM mmm and walnuts and chocolate chips is exactly what i want right now! <3

xoxo

4. March 13, 2011 at 1:13 am #

The baking bug hits me a lot too and I usually end up baking cookies as a result. With delicious looking muffins like these, you should get hit by the baking bug more often. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

5. March 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

i’m making these tomorrow. thanks!

6. March 18, 2011 at 6:04 am #

These look awesome… so many ingredients! I can’t wait till Lent is over and I’m back to my baking-ways.

• February 8, 2012 at 7:19 am #

I think when I go to heevan, I want a couple dozen of these babies in my overnight bag! Happy Holidays Karen!Stacy

7. March 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

These muffins looks so tasty and I love that they’re healthy too. My kids would probably love them!

8. Ashley
    April 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

These look delicious!

9. Shelley
    February 19, 2012 at 5:20 am #

The muffins look awesome! Just wondering if I can use some whole wheat flour in place of the fancy flours you used. I don’t have any of those at home.

• February 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

You could definitely use all whole wheat flour in the recipe – I just experiment with random flours hanging out in my cupboards from time to time. Heck, you could even use white flour if you wanted.