Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Once again, just as life got busy, the baking bug hit me. Perhaps I needed a break from studying, or perhaps I just needed to satisfy a chocolate craving. Either way, I knew I needed to bake. Muffins are my go to baking project when I’m in the mood to “throw together” a new recipe from whatever we have on hand. You really can’t do too much to mess up a muffin when experimenting, especially when there’s chocolate involved.

I had originally thought I would make a whole grain double chocolate chip muffin. Turns out we were almost out of cocoa powder, so I had to put my thinking cap back on. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies popped into my mind (perhaps because we’d just had some oatmeal raisin cookies?), and before I knew it, a recipe was born.

After measuring, mixing, baking, and cooling the results were in. What I had was a dense, flavourful, moist whole grain muffin, studded with chocolate chips and a little crunch provided by chopped walnuts. Not too sweet, low in fat, and optionally vegan to boot! They may look small, but don’t be fooled – they will satisfy your sweet tooth and rumbly bellt.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

makes 12 small muffins

• 1 cup non dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1/3 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/3 cup cane sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (use non-dairy chocolate chips for vegan)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a muffin pan, or fit with liners.

2. Combine non-dairy milk and flax seed in a medium bowl and set aside.

3. In a large bowl combine oats, flours, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

4. Stir in applesauce, olive oil, and vanilla into milk/flax seed mixture.

5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until almost combined. Add walnuts and chocolate chips, and mix until just combined.

6. Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.

6. Bake for 15 – 18 min, until muffins are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy them as an afternoon snack or with a cup of tea. Heck, they’d even make a good breakfast with some fruit and yogurt!

Let me know if you give them a try and how you liked them!

Tags: , ,

Categories: Baking, Recipe, Snack, Vegan, Vegetarian

11 Comments on “Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins”

1. March 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

These look amazing! I’ve been looking for a chocolate chip muffin recipe :P These are going on the to-try list!

2. March 9, 2011 at 8:47 am #

OM nom nom. Sounds delicious! I’ll have to head out and grab me some walnuts and chocolate chips to get on this recipe pronto! :D

3. March 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

I REALLY WANNA MAKE THESE! yup i’ll let you know for sure if i do- all i can really say is YUMMMMMMM mmm and walnuts and chocolate chips is exactly what i want right now! <3

4. March 13, 2011 at 1:13 am #

The baking bug hits me a lot too and I usually end up baking cookies as a result. With delicious looking muffins like these, you should get hit by the baking bug more often. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

5. March 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

i’m making these tomorrow. thanks!

6. March 18, 2011 at 6:04 am #

These look awesome… so many ingredients! I can’t wait till Lent is over and I’m back to my baking-ways.

• February 8, 2012 at 7:19 am #

I think when I go to heevan, I want a couple dozen of these babies in my overnight bag! Happy Holidays Karen!Stacy

7. March 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

These muffins looks so tasty and I love that they’re healthy too. My kids would probably love them!

8. Ashley
    April 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

These look delicious!

9. Shelley
    February 19, 2012 at 5:20 am #

The muffins look awesome! Just wondering if I can use some whole wheat flour in place of the fancy flours you used. I don’t have any of those at home.

• February 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

You could definitely use all whole wheat flour in the recipe – I just experiment with random flours hanging out in my cupboards from time to time. Heck, you could even use white flour if you wanted.