The No Blender Required Smoothie

One thing I have been craving like mad lately is smoothies. The problem being – we have no blender. Our Magic Bullet has kicked the bucket, and I’m not willing to spend money on a crappy blender that I’m just going to have to replace again, but can’t really justify dropping a lot of money on the blender I really want (I’m looking at you Vita-Mix). Sometimes being a poor student just plain sucks.

So what is a smoothie-craving girl to do? All I see are delicious smoothie creations, and lust after some of my favourite concoctions (like my Ultimate Green Goodness Smoothie, or the seasonal Apricot Cherry Almond Smoothie). It’s pure torture I tell you!

Fortunately, I do have one blending device capable of combining soft ingredients well…

IMG_1369

Why hello there immersion blender! No good for frozen or hard ingredients, but I figured if I could come up with a recipe using only soft ingredients I could at least do something to keep my smoothie cravings under control.

IMG_1364

I scanned my options, and came up with the above assortment. I worried I wouldn’t get that delicious thick smoothie texture you get by adding frozen fruits, but surprisingly it turned out pretty darn close.

IMG_1382

And I imagine you could even do this smoothie without any electric blending devices – just mash the banana and avocado in a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, and whisk away until it’s all blended. Might not be quite as smooth, but if all you have is a whisk and want a smoothie, I bet it would satisfy the craving.

No Blender Required Smoothie

serves 1

No blender? No problem! You can make this smoothie with a hand held immersion blender, or even a fork and whisk.

IMG_1380

• 1 small very ripe banana
  • 1/4 very ripe avocado
  • 1 cup milk (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, unsweetened)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I like Vega Sport Performance Vanilla)
  • splash of vanilla
  • maple syrup (or other sweetener) to taste

IMG_1372

1. Combine all ingredients in a suitable container.

IMG_1376

2. Blend with immersion blender until smooth. Pour in a glass, and enjoy!

IMG_1383

Note: If you don’t have an immersion blender, first mash the heck out of the banana and avocado with a fork, add the rest of the ingredients, and whisk like you have never whisked before. You’ll get a delicious smoothie and an upper body workout!

So for now, this is my go to smoothie. I may try out some other soft fruits with my immersion blender, but I fear without the banana/avocado consistency, and lack of frosty frozen fruit, they may not quite cut it. So if anyone out there wants to hook me up with a fancy pants blending device, I would be ever so grateful. I do have a birthday coming up afterall ;)

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Drink, Recipe, Smoothie, Vegan, Vegetarian

9 Comments on “The No Blender Required Smoothie”

1. July 31, 2011 at 11:32 am #

That looks like such a delicious way to start the day! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, Marianne. We can’t wait to share it with all of our friends and fans!

• August 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

I’m glad you liked it, and thanks for sharing the link!

2. July 31, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

I have not found a blender that has not broken in less than 6 months. Love this recipe!

3. August 1, 2011 at 7:28 am #

haha i am naive… thought this was going to say “only hands required” .. .hmm that would have been quite messy!

I love hand blenders- I remember one of the first ‘recipes’ i ever made as a kid was helping my mom hand blend her “vitamin-protein-banana-smoothies” lol… they always tasted like chalk *blech”

Thankfully this definitely wouldn’t taste like chalk! mmm and I know your love for avocado, which would be perfect blended in a smoothie with MAPLE SYRUP! <3

actually the combo of peanut butter, banana, and avocado is really appealing to me right now!

xoxo <3

• August 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

Haha – well, you could probably use your hands to make the smoothie as well – I’m sure it would make for a great moisturizer!

4. livinglearningeating
    August 5, 2011 at 4:44 am #

yumyum….I’m going to be in this situation quite soon, as I won’t have a blender in Germany (er, Ikea? I think that’ll be my first weekend visit, b/c after this green monster: http://livinglearningeating.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/blueberry-green-milkshake/ , I don’t think I can go without them) :P

5. August 7, 2011 at 7:22 am #

Never thought to use my immersion blender for a smoothie! Good thinking…. :)

PS…like the new look!!

6. August 10, 2011 at 7:23 am #

I used to make glaze for my ceramic pots with an immersion blender! Yum!

• August 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

That is one smoothie I don’t think I’d want to drink ;)