Growing up, one of my favourite desserts was this apricot crisp my mom used to make. She would use the canned apricots we would make every summer, top them with a sweet, buttery topping, and bake it until it was bubbling and golden brown. We would serve it up in little bowls, and top it with a splash of milk. I think she liked making it because it was easy to throw together when you wanted a homemade dessert. I just thought it tasted awesome. It was even better the next day – perhaps for breakfast To this day, it is my favourite way to eat apricots.
When I saw Katie from Chocolate-Covered Katie create a Peach Breakfast Bake with fresh peaches and shredded wheat cereal, the photos made me instantly think of that apricot crisp I so loved growing up. This got my creative juices flowing, thinking I could come up with some sort of hybrid version of my mom’s dessert crisp and this cereal based breakfast bake.
As luck would have it, local BC apricots were in season and on sale, so I stocked up, and got creating in the kitchen.
The combination of apricots, vanilla, Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal, almonds, and a bit of brown sugar made my kitchen smell amazing. Waiting for it to finish baking so I could dig in was painful!
I decided to serve mine with some almond milk, just as we had as kids (well, we had dairy milk, but whatever).
It doesn’t exactly make the prettiest photograph, but often ugly food = delicious.
So good! Warm, sweet apricots mixed with slightly sweet, cinnamon spiked cereal that just soaks up the milk. It made an awesome breakfast, and would make a great dessert as well. It might not be the best choice for a busy weekday, but if you have a little time, it is worth the baking time.
Apricot & Shredded Wheat Crisp (inspired by Peach Breakfast Bake)
Looking for a hearty, warm breakfast alternative to oatmeal? Or perhaps a unique take on fruit crisp? Try this apricot & shredded wheat crisp – slightly sweet, whole grain, and totally delicious.
- 2.5 cups pitted & sliced apricots (5 – 6 medium apricots)
- 1 – 2 tbsp brown sugar or cane sugar (depends on sweetness of the fruit)
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups shredded wheat cereal, crushed (I used Kashi Cinnamon Harvest)
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1.5 tbsp melted butter
- pinch of salt
- milk, yogurt, or ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small baking dish, combine apricots, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combined cereal, almonds, flax seed, melted butter, and salt.
- Evenly spread cereal mixture over apricots.
- Bake 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown. If the cereal seems to be getting a little toasted, cover with foil for remainder of baking.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, or even ice cream.
Notes: If you use salted butter, you may not need to add any additional salt to the topping mixture. Feel free to experiment with other stone fruits or other types of cereal.
Thanks for inspiring me to re-invent a favourite from my past Katie!