It seems that autumn has arrived.
The time of year when the maple leaves change colour – from their standard green to fiery red, golden yellow, and rich brown.
It’s also the time of year when pumpkin shows up everywhere.
You’d have to be living under a rock to not know pumpkin season is in full swing. From Starbucks’ coveted pumpkin latte to pumpkin scones, from pumpkin butter to the ubiquitous pumpkin pie, you can find many a way to get your gourd fix.
I had a co-worker request that I bake some muffins before I leave for my new position at our new store (PS – I’m moving up in the grocery store world!) When I asked her what kind of muffins, she said pumpkin.
I got to thinking about what I might put into the muffins, when she also added the stipulation that they were not to have any nuts. Turns out she doesn’t like nuts in baked goods. That quickly threw my idea of a pecan pumpkin muffin out the window.
Fortunately, another seasonal treat jumped out at me (okay, it was on sale that week) – local fresh cranberries. My pumpkin had found its match.
I set out to create a tender, moist pumpkin muffin, studded with cranberries, packed with the goodness of whole grains, with just a touch of sweetness. Something equally delicious for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Looks like I succeeded.
I love the colour contrast between the rich amber muffin and the ruby hued cranberries. The oats give the muffins a slightly chewy texture, and the acidic burst from the berries balances out the sprinkle of brown sugar on top.
My co-worker loved them, as did my family. In fact, I had to make another batch just to take photos for this post. Such a pity I’ll have to endure the arduous task of consuming more of these delightful bites.
Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins
makes 12 muffins
These whole grain muffins combine two classic fall flavours – pumpkin and cranberry – to create a subtly sweet treat, perfect for an afternoon snack or as part of a quick breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar (divided)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray/grease a muffin tin, or use paper liners.
2. Combine flour, oats, cane sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine pumpkin, egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl, mixing thoroughly.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, as well as the cranberries. Mix until just combined (some lumps are okay).
5. Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkled remaining brown sugar on top.
6. Bake for 20 – 25 min, until golden brown.