Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins

It seems that autumn has arrived.

IMG_1393

The time of year when the maple leaves change colour – from their standard green to fiery red, golden yellow, and rich brown.

IMG_1391

It’s also the time of year when pumpkin shows up everywhere.

IMG_1374

You’d have to be living under a rock to not know pumpkin season is in full swing. From Starbucks’ coveted pumpkin latte to pumpkin scones, from pumpkin butter to the ubiquitous pumpkin pie, you can find many a way to get your gourd fix.

IMG_1364

I had a co-worker request that I bake some muffins before I leave for my new position at our new store (PS – I’m moving up in the grocery store world!) When I asked her what kind of muffins, she said pumpkin.

IMG_1373

I got to thinking about what I might put into the muffins, when she also added the stipulation that they were not to have any nuts. Turns out she doesn’t like nuts in baked goods. That quickly threw my idea of a pecan pumpkin muffin out the window.

IMG_1381

Fortunately, another seasonal treat jumped out at me (okay, it was on sale that week) – local fresh cranberries. My pumpkin had found its match.

IMG_1384

I set out to create a tender, moist pumpkin muffin, studded with cranberries, packed with the goodness of whole grains, with just a touch of sweetness. Something equally delicious for breakfast or an afternoon snack.

IMG_1369

Looks like I succeeded.

IMG_1387

I love the colour contrast between the rich amber muffin and the ruby hued cranberries. The oats give the muffins a slightly chewy texture, and the acidic burst from the berries balances out the sprinkle of brown sugar on top.

IMG_1378

My co-worker loved them, as did my family. In fact, I had to make another batch just to take photos for this post. Such a pity I’ll have to endure the arduous task of consuming more of these delightful bites.

IMG_1365

Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins

makes 12 muffins

These whole grain muffins combine two classic fall flavours – pumpkin and cranberry – to create a subtly sweet treat, perfect for an afternoon snack or as part of a quick breakfast.

IMG_1363

• 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar (divided)
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non)
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray/grease a muffin tin, or use paper liners.

2. Combine flour, oats, cane sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

3. Combine pumpkin, egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl, mixing thoroughly.

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, as well as the cranberries. Mix until just combined (some lumps are okay).

5. Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkled remaining brown sugar on top.

6. Bake for 20 – 25 min, until golden brown.

IMG_1382

About these ads

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, BC, Local, Recipe, Snack, Vegetarian, Whole Grain

11 Comments on “Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins”

1. October 10, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Such beautiful photos! I am a huge fan of pumpkin + cranberries (see today’s breakfast!), so I will definitely be saving this recipe.

2. October 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Wow, those photos sell the muffin alone! They look delicious. Gorgeous photos.

• October 11, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

And yet, Tastespotting still tells me they aren’t good enough for their site. I give up trying to figure out what floats their boat.

But thank you – I had fun collecting leaves and taking photos on that lovely fall day :)

• October 30, 2013 at 7:58 am #

This IS a great recipe! I used a mini muffin pan that makes 24, and I got 42, yes 42, lovely ‘poppable’ bite sized muffins!

• October 31, 2013 at 9:58 am #

So glad you enjoyed them!

3. October 12, 2011 at 8:01 am #

These look awesome, Marianne!

4. October 19, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

BEST AND MOST BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS OF MUFFIN EVER! inst it the best how nature gives us fresh fall leaves for the best photo shoots- no staging required :)

i like when recipes use butter. especially in the fall/winter months, butter adds such a lovely comforting flavour that oil really cannot add. Goes great with the cranberries and flax too.

They look wonderfully scrumptious Marianne!

xoxo <3

• November 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Butter = awesome. In my humble opinion anyways. So not a fan of margarines.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Very Next Thing | Organic Living Ideas and Discussions | Green Eco Friendly Products | I'm Organic for Earth Friendly Gifts - October 15, 2011

[...] Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins [...]

2. Leash Running Technique + Otter Dogs | Corrie Anne - November 5, 2012

[...] seemed like a great day to make muffins! I used this recipe for Cranberry Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins. I don’t really like putting sugar in things like that so I decided to use a banana instead. [...]

3. Banana Coconut Cardamom Muffins | french fries to flax seeds - November 10, 2012

[...] case you haven’t noticed – I like to bake muffins (evidenced here, here, here, and here…you get the picture). I can’t help it – they are the easiest baked good to [...]