Bring On The Bagels

While procrastinating studying for exams this December I decided to tackle a new to me baking project – bagels!

Can I just say how proud I was with my delicious doughy creations?

For some reason I never considered making my own bagels. They just seem like something you need to buy already made. But these were easy, and fun!

The best part was making the holes in the bagels. You just make little balls of dough, stick your finger through the centre, and twirl it around until you have the desired hole size.

The boiling step gives the bagels their characteristic crust.

Did I mention these aren’t just any bagels? That’s right, these are kale bagels. Can’t get those at any store, that’s for sure!

My favourite way to enjoy them was toasted with a little butter. It really enhanced the savoury kale flavour.

Now that I know how easy bagels are to make, I can’t justify spending money on premade bagels at the store anymore. And think of the endless flavour combinations you could come up with to tickle your fancy! I’m thinking of baking a fresh batch of bagels for brunch on Christmas morning.

If you want to try your hand at these kale bagels (and I highly suggest you do), check out the recipe here.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Baking, Bread, Vegan, Vegetarian, Whole Grain

9 Comments on “Bring On The Bagels”

1. December 21, 2011 at 6:50 am #

They look so good! I think I will make some bagels during the holiday. :)

2. December 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

Those are really yummy looking! :)

I must confess though that I doubt I will ever make bagels. Mostly because I fear for my self-control (or lack thereof)! lol

3. December 22, 2011 at 5:48 am #

These look pretty tasty, Marianne! My Mom use to make bagels all the time, but it’s something that I’ve never tried….

4. December 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

I am really into all things kale these days, so I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

5. December 23, 2011 at 11:13 am #

ooooh! oooh! I’ve had a recipe book marked forever.. you’ve inspired me to take the plunge!

6. December 23, 2011 at 11:14 am #

PS – I saw the gravy cheese curd fries on tv the other day + thought of you!!

7. January 13, 2012 at 4:15 am #

these look SO SO GOOD!

8. February 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Yes, bring on the bagels. They look out of this world!!! I’m ready to get going on them again.

1. Mediterranean Veggie Bagelwich | french fries to flax seeds - December 23, 2011

[…] passed. I made bagels. Then a light went on in my head – I bet these would make a great base for a sandwich just like […]