Winter is definitely in full force here in Vancouver (and really, most of the rest of the country as well). We’ve been having some very chilly temperatures here, getting as low as –8 or –9 degress C at night, not including wind chill. And yes, I know, that pales in comparison to say, Saskatchewan where they have seen –40 C or lower, but it’s all relative, right? We just aren’t used to this kind of cold!
Needless to say, the plummeting temperatures have me craving warm, hearty, comforting foods. Salads and smoothies are out the door – I want soups, stews, mac & cheese. Something to warm me from the inside out, so I can brave the elements to run errands, Christmas shop, and enjoy outdoor activities! This tasty seafood & mushroom linguini alfredo recipe definitely fits the bill!
I have to make 2 confessions – I’m generally not a big pasta person, and I had never made alfredo sauce before. Sure, I like a good mac and cheese, but I generally don’t crave pasta dishes (although, give me any Asian noodle dish, and I’m all over that!) As such, I had never really had a need to make alfredo sauce before. But one night I was browsing through facebook, and saw one of my friends had made alfredo pasta. Like any good foodie, I had to ask her for her recipe. Turns out was way simpler than I thought! I knew I would have to try it out myself.
I found myself at home alone for dinner one night, and decided to indulge in my love of seafood, since the boyfriend isn’t really a fan. I thought – hey, seafood goes really well with alfredo. I should try my hand at a seafood mushroom alfredo tonight! After a quick trip to the store for the essentials, I was ready to create myself a homemade gourmet meal.
I set out making my white sauce, boiling the pasta, and sautéing the prawns and scallops. In no time at all, I had myself one rich, creamy, delicious gourmet meal. Easy enough to make on a week night, but fancy enough to serve to company. And yes, alfredo may be a higher fat/higher calorie dish, but I kept things in check with whole grain pasta, reasonable portion size, and lots of veggies (roasted broccoli made a great accompaniment).
Seafood & Mushroom Linguini Alfredo
Wow yourself or some guests with this rich, creamy homemade alfredo studded with prawns, scallops, and mushrooms. It’s so easy to prepare, you’ll wonder why you haven’t made alfredo sauce before – I know I did!
- 170 g (5.5 oz) whole wheat linguini
- 250 g cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2.5 tbsp butter, divided
- 1.5 tbsp all –purpose flour
- 3/4 c table cream (18% fat)
- 3/4 c milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 c shredded parmesan
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100 g prawns, peeled and deveined
- 100 g scallops
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta per package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp butter in a medium saucepan. Sauté mushrooms and garlic until all moisture has evaporated and browned. Remove from saucepan.
3. Add rest of butter to sauce pan, allow to melt, then stir in flour. Mix until combined. Add cream and milk, and stir over medium-low heat until thickened. Stir in parmesan, and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Add mushrooms back in.
4. Heat a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Season prawns and scallops with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to frying pan, then seafood. Cook 2 – 3 minutes, until prawns are pink and scallops seared. Remove from heat, and add to sauce.
5. Drain pasta, then add to sauce. Toss to coat, divide between two plates, and top with extra shredded parmesan and black pepper. Enjoy!
Note: If seafood isn’t your thing, substitute chicken, or add extra vegetables.
Do you love pasta? How about seafood?