Notes From The North

Hello wonderful blog readers! It’s been a little while since I’ve had time to check in here, but I did warn you in my last post that this might happen. Fortunately, I’m back, and ready to share a little about my adventure to Northern BC!

IMG_20140110_172431

A view of the Fraser River somewhere on the highway between Lytton and Cache Creek, BC

The trip up north went pretty well. I have to admit, I was stressed with the idea of driving north in the middle of winter. I’m a born and bread Vancouverite, and driving in anything more solid than rain is not something we tend to learn. I was worried about what the highways might be like, or if a snow storm might prevent us from making it to our destination. I won’t lie – the road wasn’t clear the entire way, but it was pretty good. I did have some moments were semi-trailers passed me, spraying my window with slush and completely obscuring my windows…not fun. But we made it there in one piece…even if I did manage to get stuck in a snow bank once we made it to our new home of Prince George. I blame the city though – you’d think in a place where winter and snow are the norm, they would have actually plowed their streets!

IMG_20140118_164435

So far, things have been going well here. We had temporary accommodations with a family that have turned out awesome. We found a place to rent that we love, and will soon move in to – just waiting on movers to bring all our worldly possessions into town. I’ve found my way around town, and learned to drive on sheets of ice…uphill even! I’ve checked out which of my favourite stores will ship to Prince George, so I don’t have to give up all of my favourite things from the “big city”. Oh yeah, and I started work!

IMG_20140120_084024

A gorgeous sunrise one chilly morning

So far work has been going great. I’ve settled in to one job, and I’m really enjoying it. I get to teach healthy living habits to families – how fun is that? I also get to shop for and prep healthy snacks for the group, and develop demo boxes for teaching various topics, like label reading, eating out, and the food groups. I must say, I’m a big fan of this whole group teaching thing. I’m also working at a long term care facility, which I only just started, so I can’t really say how I feel about the job yet. But they have 3 cats living at the facility, so it can’t be that bad.

IMG_20140107_213826

Sienna being all the cutes!

Speaking of cats…I miss mine. She’s still back in Vancouver, and will be staying there a little longer. I didn’t want to fly her up, and she couldn’t come up with us as we didn’t have a place to go to. Once the weather and roads are better, my family will come up for a visit and bring her up to stay with us. Hopefully she can handle an 8.5 hr car ride. Actually, I’m more worried about my family dealing with her in the car for that long – she can be rather vocal on car rides.

Hope all is going well with all of you. I can’t wait to get settled into our new place so I can set up my awesome new kitchen, and start cooking again! I’ll be back soon with more recipes, reviews, and other fun stuff!

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Announcement, BC, Dietetics, Outdoors, Pictures, Sienna

8 Comments on “Notes From The North”

1. January 24, 2014 at 8:16 am #

So happy you made it safe! Yep, big trucks on the road are the worst – I am always the slow driver on the right side of the road! Can’t wait to see pics of your new place! :D

• January 24, 2014 at 8:28 am #

Might take me a little bit to get everything unpacked and set up, but I’ll make sure to share a few :-)

2. Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans
    January 24, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Your new job sounds like a lot of fun!

3. Alesia
    January 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

Welcome to PG! I’ve been reading your blog for a while (love food blogs!), I’ve lived here for over 10 years but am also from the lower mainland. It can take a bit of work sometimes to find out about fun things happening etc but once you do you’ll see there’s actually quite a bit to offer! :-)

• January 24, 2014 at 10:59 pm #

I’m not too worried about finding things to do. Just need to get settled in to everything (house, job, routine, etc), then I can get adventuresome and explore more. Looking forward to checking out the great outdoors once it warms up a bit too! I’m always looking for suggestions – good restaurants, stores, hidden gems.

4. Alesia
    January 24, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

My favourite restaurants in town are Cimo, Thanh Vu, Mai Thai, Nancy O’s (more for the atmosphere or event nights than the food). There are plenty of other great ones (Hummus Bros., Twisted Cork…etc) but those are my top choices. Sassafras Savouries is a great lunch place, as is Cafe Voltaire/Books & Company and Ohh Chocolat.

Sorry to tell you but it is warm already!! hehe we’re lucky it’s not -15/20!! :-) Have fun exploring!

• January 24, 2014 at 11:49 pm #

Haha – yeah, everyone tells me it’s warm. I refuse to say warm though until it’s sunny, there’s no snow, and its at least 10 degrees!

Looks like I have some good places to check out in the next few weeks. Thanks!

5. kristaskravings
    January 29, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Glad to hear your trip went well! Sounds like it was quite the hike. Saw you kitchen on Instagram (I think) and it looks amazing!