I honestly can’t think of a more perfect flavour combination that peanut butter and chocolate. Whoever came up with that, I would like to give them a high five and a hug. Because frankly, it’s amazing. I will gravitate to pretty much any dessert/treat/ice cream/food stuff that has both of these ingredients in it. I feel bad for people who are allergic to peanuts or chocolate, as they will never truly be able to experience the wonders of a peanut butter cup, the Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie, or just dunking a square of dark chocolate in the peanut butter jar. I can’t be the only one who does this…right?
Feeling the need to satisfy my peanut butter and chocolate fix in a somewhat more civilized way, I decided to come up with an easy treat to whip up whenever the craving hits (or to have on hand for said cravings). I wanted something that didn’t involve cooking, used ingredients I always have on hand, and was healthy. And this was how the Choco-Peanut Power Ball was born.
These balls are very reminiscent of my favourite Larabar flavour…which is Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip (shocking, I know). They are date based, just like the Larabar, and contain peanuts, peanut butter, and chocolate chips…just like the Larabar. But they do differ in the addition of hemp seeds – I wanted to add a little more protein so they wouldn’t just be a tasty treat, but a decent snack to hold you over til dinner.
They are great to keep in the fridge for when you get home from work, and need a little something something while you make dinner, need a quick pick me up before heading to the gym, or as a small sweet treat for dessert. They were also given 2 thumbs up by the boyfriend, so you know they have to be good. I use salted peanuts to balance out the sweetness of the dates. With all that fibre, healthy fat, and protein, they are definitely a treat you can feel good about indulging in.
Choco-Peanut Power Balls
makes 14 – 16 balls
You can never go wrong when peanut butter and chocolate come together, especially in a healthy sweet treat packed with fibre, protein, and healthy fats. Vegan, dairy free, and gluten free, these delicious power balls come together in a snap – no baking required!
- 8 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 1/3 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (use vegan chocolate chips if desired)
1. Place dates, peanuts, peanut butter, hemp seeds, and vanilla in food processor, and pulse until you have a fairly cohesive mixture. It should be easy to form into a ball, but still have a little texture.
2. Move date/peanut mixture into a bowl, and stir in chocolate chips. Take a tablespoonful of the mixture, and form into balls with your hands. You will need to use a little pressure to get them to stick well, but they will hold. Store in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
Notes: You could use different combinations of nuts/nut butters if you want or need to due to allergies.
As I’ve stated, chocolate and peanut butter is my favourite flavour combination – what’s yours?