BSI: Sweet Potato Oatmeal Pancakes with Apple-Cranberry Sauce

I knew when the BSI was announced this week – sweet potato – that I needed to come up with a breakfast dish. I considered simple sweet potato oatmeal, but I have some eggs in my fridge I need to start using up, so I ended up at pancakes. I added the apple-cranberry sauce to round out the fall flavours and get some fruit into this hearty breakfast. Perfect for a Sunday morning – hence why I waited until now to try it out!

food-554

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Pancakes with Apple-Cranberry Sauce
makes 16 – 18 pancakes

For the sauce:

• 2 large gala apples, cubed
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
  • 1 + 1/4 cup water (separated)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

• 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Optional toppings:

• yogurt
  • chopped pecans
  • To prepare the sauce:

1. Combine apples, cranberries, 1 cup water, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan.

food-545

2. Combine rest of water and cornstarch in a small bowl, and set aside.

3. Cook apple-cranberry mixture over medium heat until apples are soft, and cranberries start to break up – approximately 10 min.

4. Add the cornstarch mixture, and stir until thickened. Remove from heat until ready to serve.

food-548

To prepare the pancakes:

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F, to keep pancakes warm as you are cooking them.

2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl, mixing well.

food-546

4. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix until just combined – batter will be quite thick and a bit lumpy.

food-549

5. In a frying pan or skillet preheated to medium/medium-high heat, drop batter using 1/4 cup measure. Use the back of a spoon to spread the batter out into a pancake shape. Cook until top starts to bubble, and sides begin to cook. Flip over, and cook the other side until golden brown.

food-550

food-559

6. Place 2 pancakes on plate, top with a couple of spoonfuls of apple-cranberry sauce, and added a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle of pecans if desired. Enjoy!

food-553

Thanks to Melissa from Trying to Heal for choosing such a great ingredient!

Tags: , , , ,