Cinnamon Is In

As I said before, I was invited to a BBQ where I offered to bring some baking, and the host’s only request was that I bake “something with cinnamon”. I did a little brainstorming, took at look at everyone’s favourite cinnamon recipes, and browsed some cookbooks. In the end, I decide to make not one, but two baked goods (what can I say, I like baking).

Seeing as everyone loves snickerdoodles, I figured that was the obvious choice for any sort of cookie making. Now, to be completely honest, I’ve never had snickerdoodles myself. And never really heard about them until I started seeing them in cookbooks. Are they an American thing? Because they weren’t on any cookie tray I’d ever had.

The recipe I decided to use was from the cookbook One Smart Cookie by Julie Van Rosendaal. It was their recipe for Old Fashioned Sour Cream Sugar Cookies, but using their Snickerdoodle variation.

It was a simple recipe to make, and I almost got the 24 cookies it told me I should (22 – so close!) It makes for a very light & airy sugar cookie, not too sweet, good cinnamon flavour. I’m sure it would be great with a cup of tea. Obviously, I had to try one out, for quality control purposes.

The next thing I baked was inspired by VeggieGirl. She had made a Caramel Banana bread (which she based on the banana bread recipe in Veganomicon), and I do love me some caramel. Since I was rocking the cinnamon today, apples seemed like the obvious fruit of choice for the bread, so I made a Caramel Apple Bread 🙂

Here’s the ingredients I used:

• 1 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/2 cup demerara sugar
  • 1 tbsp molasses
  • 1 granny smith apple, chopped
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce
  • sliced apple, cinnamon, brown sugar for garnish (optional)

If you want to the instructions, check out VeggieGirl’s site (no need to type them out again). The batter was super moist, so I didn’t need to add any extra liquid (like the milk in the original recipe). Actually, I think the batter was too moist, as the centre never really baked completely. Which could be do to a) the amount of applesauce, b) my sketchy oven, or c) my silicon loaf pan. But I’m leaning towards the amount of applesauce, only because I think it’s much moister than mashed bananas. I would consider cutting it down to 1 cup, or even less. I would also bump up the cinnamon, because I felt that flavour could be stronger.

Can you see the way it’s indenting in the centre? That’s the less baked part I’m talking about.

The bread was well received though, and since there are no eggs in it, you don’t need to worry about it not being cooked perfectly. I’m just a baking perfectionist, so I would have liked for a more even bake. But I guess that’s what experimenting is about!

And because she’s sort of cinnamon coloured, here are some Sienna photos – she was doing a little exploring out my front door today 😀

sienna 3266

sienna 3268

Night!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Sienna

15 Comments on “Cinnamon Is In”

1. Jen
    May 17, 2009 at 2:34 am #

Yeahhh, I’m pretty sure Snickerdoodles are an American thing. 🙂 But their yumminess is universal! I’m sorry the bread didn’t work out exactly. It looks totally gorgeous with its apple-covered top though!

2. May 17, 2009 at 3:25 am #

That bread! Wow! Looks AMAZING! Too bad it didn’t cook completely but hey, at least it looks pretty! haha.

I never never heard of a snickerdoodle??

3. May 17, 2009 at 4:53 am #

Caramel Banana bread is calling my name! Why do you tease us like this?

4. May 17, 2009 at 4:58 am #

Delicious baking projects!

5. May 17, 2009 at 6:23 am #

That bread looks great. Snickerdoodles are one of the cookies that many people have heard of, but many have not. I think it just depends on the friends/family you have. The only reason I have heard of them is because my mom used to always make them…so I sort of grew up with them! They are easy to make, like you said, but they also aren’t typically on a cookie tray, which may be why some people have no clue what they are!!

6. May 17, 2009 at 6:25 am #

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Everything cinnamon is ok with me. I add it to everything! haha

7. May 17, 2009 at 6:34 am #

The bread look great! I hope you loved the Snickerdoodles 🙂

Just as a side note: I’ve had the same issue with breads being too moist. I always keep it in for like 20 minutes longer than the recipe says.

8. May 17, 2009 at 7:10 am #

I made Veggie’s Girls Caramel banana bread yesterday, too!!! I used chopped almonds in my version! Yours looks awesome. I did mine in a 9×9 and haven’t cut into it yet because it’s for DD’s b-day get together later. We’ll see if it cooked through…

And I’m with ya on the whole Snickerdoodle thing. Never had one, either!

9. May 17, 2009 at 7:33 am #

OH WOW those both look fantastic!! Snickerdoodles are definitely an American thing 🙂

10. May 17, 2009 at 8:08 am #

Wow, look at you go with the baking Marianne!

11. May 17, 2009 at 8:24 am #

Ohhhh my gosh, that bread looks incredible! And so do the cookies. You must be an amzing baker 😀

12. May 17, 2009 at 9:03 am #

Your bread looks awesome – so professional! I’m going to have to try it out, I just need to buy molasses.

13. May 17, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

I actually prefer stuff underbaked – those gooey piece in the middle are THE BEST. Yours looks amazing!
    Hi Sienna! I love you! I didn’t know Mommy let you outside!

14. May 17, 2009 at 7:56 pm #

gah, that looks amazing! i’m def making that as my next bread loaf!

15. May 18, 2009 at 5:56 am #

I was the recipient of VG’s caramel banana bread and it was delicious!!!! I am always the worst loaf maker because mine never cook evenly. Her loaf was uniformly cooked, but definitely less cooked than most I’ve had – not in a bad way, it was amazing, but it was less “bready” than most breads.