Presents From Afar

I love when people come over and bring me presents! But you’ll have to wait to see those. I’m such a tease 😉

When I last left you, I was off to create some dinner. I wanted something on the light side, since I wanted to hit up the gym shortly after eating. My other goal was to eat things that were on their last legs. Isn’t that always the case in my house? I obviously buy too much when I go shopping.

I decided on salad, as I had part of a head of lettuce that had seen better days. I tossed some red leaf lettuce (local!) with some Annie’s Honey Mustard dressing, then topped it with faux crab (mmm, pollock), cucumber, and shredded cheddar. I thought about adding corn, but I was too lazy to get it from the freezer.

There was a sad looking little sweet potato in my drawer that I decided to bake microwave up. I added a little butter & black pepper.

I also steamed up a little cauliflower, and topped it with butter, black pepper, and a little parmesan cheese.

Colourful & veggieful! Perfect!

Generally, I quite enjoy the faux crab, but this was pretty flavourless. I guess I shouldn’t have bought the store brand stuff. And my sweet potato was kind of past it’s prime, but it was edible. At least it didn’t go to waste!

I hit up the gym shortly afterwards, and had a nice 35 min session on the elliptical while watching WWE on the tv at the gym. Man, that stuff is so beyond fake looking. It was pretty cheesy, but whatcha gonna do? I also got in some upper body weights, and called it a night.

Note to self – when you steam cauliflower, turn on the fan or open a window. When I got home, that was all I could smell. Phew! I was definitely airing out the place before my friend came over!

My friend came over, and we watched tv, ate cookies (I had two chocolate chip) and caught up, as he had just gotten back from a trip to Taiwan. And he brought me some gifts!

A bag of shrimp chip things (food gift, of course!), chopsticks, and a little penguin card holder, as I may have a slight obsession with penguins 🙂

Sienna was a big fan of the penguin.

Gonna have to hide that somewhere she can’t break it.

And check out these shrimp chips – apparently, they are cheese flavoured. I have been assured they are good. We’ll have to see.

Anyone else find the shrimp logo a bit creepy? Or is it just me? There is minimal English on the package, so I’m not really sure what’s even in the chips. But that’s okay, I’m all for being adventuresome!

Well, looks like we’re at that time in the evening where I go to bed. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dinner

10 Comments on “Presents From Afar”

1. June 2, 2009 at 6:12 am #

That sweet potato looks great.

Aw, Sienna 🙂

2. June 2, 2009 at 6:56 am #

Aw…look at Sienna all kittenish! Baby doll!

Can’t wait to hear what you think of those shrimp chips….

3. June 2, 2009 at 6:59 am #

shrimpy chips!! i bet they areeeee good!!! i love asian junk food!! it is so much better than American!!!

beautiful sweet potato!!

4. June 2, 2009 at 7:01 am #

that shrimp logo is a little strange, but I like it! I love sweet potatoes with salt and pepper – the perfect balance!

5. June 2, 2009 at 7:09 am #

Haha – CHEESE. I love your dinner!! Cauli and sweet potatoes!

WWE is so ridiculous! I don’t understand the people that get all into it but to each their own I guess!

6. June 2, 2009 at 7:26 am #

That dinner looks great! I love the sweet potato.

Haha, Sienna is so cute with the penguin 😀 That shrimp does look kinda creepy…
    Have a great day!

7. June 2, 2009 at 9:52 am #

I’m all about fake crab, it’s so good. I guess I never eat the real stuff, so I can’t compare it to anything. Your cat looks a lot like the cat I had as a child, named Willy! He was the best cat ever, now I am allergic 😦

8. June 2, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

Pfft sweet potatoes can never be too bad. Just chop off the smelly icky bits and you’re good to go. I could never toss a sweet potato!

Cauliflower definitely always stinks up our house. It’s intense, but not in a good way.

The picture of Sienna is completely adorable. Guess she’s a penguin fan too 😉

Foreign packaged foods kind of freak me out. My brother told me his friend had a bag of foreign trail mix or something along those lines and there were little dried fish in it? Freaking weird.

9. June 2, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

shrimp chips! those are great! mostly they’re just dried shrimp, flour, and palm oil. but I’ve never had cheese-flavored before. interesting!

10. June 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

ooh i grew up on shrimp crackers…i think of ’em as crackers more than chips even though i do think they’re fried? I looove the place that the shrimp chips came from! it’s a gorgeous part of Taiwan that is famous for their sea creatures and fish crackers too. 🙂 Your lucky your friend loves you oh so much. hehehe