If Today Is A Sign Of What’s To Come…

…then it’s going to be one hot & dry summer! On my way home from work, my car said it was 30+ degrees Celsius! Officially, Environment Canada says that it’s 29 C in Victoria, but still. It’s only June 2nd. I thought we were supposed to live in a temperate climate here on the west coast. I’m not really a fan of the hot temperatures. Give me 20 – 22 C, and I’m a happy camper. I don’t like it much hotter than that. I’d rather have to warm up than cool down because of the weather.

So, what does one choose to eat on a hot day like today? Hmmm. Oatmeal? Yup!

• 1/2 cup oats, milk, water
  • 1 banana
  • splash of vanilla
  • 1 tbsp cocoa
  • 1 tbsp flax seed
  • blob of Peanut Butter & Co. White Chocolate Wonderful

I decided on the blended oatmeal pudding style this morning 🙂

Washed down with a glass of Happy Planet Mango Peach Party.

So, even though it’s a warm one out there, my basement suite is like the arctic circle. I would bet it’s not much above 15 C in here. So I can get away with oatmeal in the mornings, even in the middle of a heat wave.

But someone wasn’t thinking when they packed their lunch. Look what I grabbed to eat at work.

I was obviously not thinking this morning. Or was too lazy to make anything. It’s hard to say.

To go with my soup I grabbed a few French Onion Sun Chips.

Then I packed some cottage cheese with pineapple.

And decided to throw in some granola to mix with it – Mahalo Mix 🙂

The cottage cheese/pineapple/granola was awesome 🙂 I loved all the contrasting flavours – salty from the cottage cheese, sweet from the granola, a little sour from the pineapple. Add in the texture differences, and you had one good afternoon snack 🙂

Too bad everything I eat is still upsetting my stomach. Argh. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I honestly don’t feel sick, but no matter what I feed myself, about 15 – 30 min later I start to feel like ass. I get hungry, so I have to eat, but it’s not fun feeling nauseous all the time.

Despite that, I grabbed some broken pieces of oatmeal raisin cookie when I got home. They are chewy, and not the most structurally sound. At least they taste good!

Mmmm cookie!

I think I shall go create dinner. Then I’m undecided on whether I should hit the gym, or go for a walk in the lovely evening weather. See you later!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Lunch

9 Comments on “If Today Is A Sign Of What’s To Come…”

1. June 2, 2009 at 6:11 pm #

I would have had to eat that DELICIOUS bowl of oatmeal, summer weather or not!

I’m sorry about your stomach troubles, I know that’s frustrating, especially since you haven’t changed your diet any as far as I can tell. Maybe horomones? Hope you feel better soon 🙂

2. Nicole
    June 2, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

I am having the same problem! I got my blood drawn yesterday and I’m going to the doctors tomorrow, so I’ll let you know what they come up with. Maybe a food allergy?

3. June 2, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

Those oats look so good! I love oats no matter how hot it is outside! Even when I’m back in Arizona’s 115 degree Summers! I’m always cold in the house/apartment.

My Mom is a doctor, so I asked her about your tummy problems and symptoms. She said it could be a lot of things, depending on what exactly all your symptoms are. She said one of the things it could be is gastritis, where you get extra acid in the stomach and it gets all irritated. That can show up about 15 minutes after you eat. If you’d like, you could email me more information and I could ask her. She also recommended WebMD because they have a symptom checker: http://www.webmd.com/

I hope you can figure out your tummy issues 😦

4. broccolihut
    June 2, 2009 at 9:35 pm #

Be thankful for your dry heat–it’s always hot & humid down here come summer. Ick.

Your oats this morning totally look like something I could dive into. DELISH.

5. June 3, 2009 at 6:20 am #

Blended Oats are amazing! Yours look so mouthwatering right now…mmm!

6. June 3, 2009 at 7:14 am #

I’ll trade weather with ya! It’s still too cool here for my liking!

Chocolate oats are right up my alley as is the cottage cheese combo. Pineapple has always been one of my favourite fruits to add to it!

Sorry to hear your belly is still acting up! Not fun, I’m sure!

7. June 3, 2009 at 7:17 am #

Sun Chips!! I haven’t had those in oh so long – yum! You lucky lady with the warm weather!! Send some this way!

8. June 3, 2009 at 7:18 am #

I’ll trade ya weather. It’s still too cool here for me!

Love that Amy’s soup and the cottage cheese combos is one of my fave’s.

9. June 3, 2009 at 10:47 am #

I’m not giving up oats for summer! NO WAY!

Cottage cheese and granola is my favourite snack! Pineapple is quite acidic though so can cause stomach upset if you are sensitive, as can citrus + dairy combined (causing curdling) but if it’s after all meals/snacks might be worth getting checked out for an intolerance/virus? hope you feel better soon!