Checking Out This Chia Thing

You’ve seen them on tv, growing out of cereamic characters’ heads and backs. You’ve seen the around the blog world in people’s bowls & smoothies. Well, now the Chia has landed at french fries to flax seeds!

This morning I decided to give my new breakfast cereal, Ruth’s Chia Goodness, a try. I figured I’d go balls to wall and just eat it as the main portion of my breakfast. I scooped 4 tbsp (2 servings according to the package) of the chia, hemp seed, buckwheat mix into my bowl.

Then I added 2/3 cup water, stirred it up, and let it sit while I put together my lunch. I had a little taste, and decided it was too plain to not add anything else. So I dressed it up like a bowl of oats!

I added raisins, craisins, golden berries, slivered almonds, and a scoop of Peanut Butter & Co. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl. Obviously, there was a glass of cranberry juice to go with it.

Check out that gelatinous breakfast! Mmmmm, gooey.

Thoughts: Ultimately, the mixture of seeds/grains doesn’t have a heck of alot of flavour on its own. I think it’s more about the texture, which is very much like the centre of a passionfruit. I don’t think I could eat it without some add ins to give me texture/flavour variety. The dried fruit, nuts, and nut butter went really well in there. I would like to try it warm, and as an addition to oats I think. But what a great way to add nutrients and variety to your diet 🙂 Plus it’s kinda fun!

Lunch featured the return of the falafel salad. It was basically the same as last time – start with a base of red leaf lettuce and shredded carrot.

Choose your toppings – falafel, cucumber, avocado.

Be sure to have some whole wheat pita to go alongside.

Grab some fruit for a little colour and variety (but not necessarily for the salad). I went with strawberries 🙂

Don’t forget your favourite tzatziki sauce as dressing. And throw in a little treat – say a banana rhubarb muffin?

I think leaving out the raw onions this time was a good call, especially when taking it to work. I’m sure my coworkers appreciated it!

Beside mowing through my most excellent salad, I was productive at work – I got in a little online shopping. I decided on a gift for my sister’s birthday, and may have ordered myself a little something-something as well. What? I think it’s only fair that if she gets gifts, I get them too!

I think I’m going to head out for a bike ride this evening! I had considered biking to work today, but was too tired when I got up. But it’s the perfect evening to hop on two wheels and get some fresh air. And if I’ve planned it right, I’ll be back just in time to watch Canada’s Next Top Model! See ya later!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Lunch

12 Comments on “Checking Out This Chia Thing”

1. JB
    June 9, 2009 at 7:32 pm #

that breakfast looks really interesting. i still haven’t tried chia seeds, even though i hear people rave about them all the time. maybe i’ll buy some the next time i feel like making something new and adventurous. i just hate straying from my lovely oatmeal! i’m so loyal to it! 🙂

-JB

2. June 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm #

What a fun way to change up Breks! I’m tempted to try out those cha cha cha chias.

3. June 9, 2009 at 8:40 pm #

Wow that is a fab breakfast! I really need to try these chia seeds. I just haven’t gotten around to it. I’ll probably cave soon, though!

4. June 9, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

I love adding chia seeds to my oats!

You should also try the Holiday Chia Pudding from Kristen’s Raw blog. I linked to it in my latest post. I love the stuff!

5. June 9, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

CNTM was great tonight! I’m interested in trying that cereal as an add-on to my oats.

6. Nicole
    June 9, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

Have a fun bike ride!!! I’m getting obsessed with it.

7. June 9, 2009 at 9:17 pm #

don’t take this the wrong way, but breakfast really scared the bejeezers out of me at first sight, but then I got SUPER intruiged, and when I saw all those pretty toppings you incorporated….i definitely wanna try some now. hahahah You have skill girl!!!

hahah how sweet of you to consider your co-workers. 🙂 I would just eat the raw onions anyways, except i’m a TERRIBLE onion picker and always get the spiciest of the spicy! *sigh*

8. broccolihut
    June 9, 2009 at 9:37 pm #

Do you make your own falafel? They look so delicious!

9. Jess
    June 10, 2009 at 4:18 am #

I bought the apple almond cinnamon flavour of Chia Goodness and it’s very good on it’s own. I also like to mix it with coconut and extra raisins for extra oomph and liquid absorption. I usually make mine with almond milk as the liquid as well.

I think I’m going to try my hand at one of your tofudding concoctions for breakfast today. We’ll see how it goes!

10. June 10, 2009 at 6:51 am #

Online shopping!! So dangerous because I love that instant gratification 🙂 Can’t wait to see what you bought!

Chia makes me a little nervous! I think it’s the gelatin-like consistency. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t turn down some of that holiday pudding that other people have been eating because it sounds delish.

11. June 10, 2009 at 8:21 am #

your such a good lunch packer!!!! That chia goodness looks a bit strange, but you made it look so tasty!!!! I’ll have to try it, but I may just add some to my regular oats.

12. June 10, 2009 at 8:57 am #

So, you don’t even need to cook it, eh? I’ve debated buying that so often….maybe next time I will.

Love you lunch. Very colourful. Falafel is something else that I need to try!