Oodles Of Noodles

When we last met, I was off to the gym. Since it was such a lovely evening, and I’m on Operation Save Cash, I decided to walk to the gym. Yes, I live walking distance to the gym, yet rarely do so. Isn’t that sad? I think it’s because I go at night, and sometimes, it’s not the safest to be walking in the dark by yourself. I’m paranoid in my old age, what can I say? Plus I’m often on a self-imposed tight schedule. Could I come up with anymore excuses? 😉

So anyways, I walked to the gym, and did 45 min on the stair climber while watching Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, even though really, I didn’t care who won. Plus it was way too warm in the gym – I hate that. I then decided to take a detour on my way home, to pick up a couple things to make dinner with.

As I said before, I was wanting some sort of Asian inspired noodle dish. I had buckwheat soba noodles in the cupboard that sounded particularly appealing. Here’s what I came up with.

I basically followed this recipe for Tan Tan Noodles, then added a few large handfuls of cabbage coleslaw mix, extra shredded carrot, thinly sliced shitake mushrooms, peanuts, and sesame seeds.

Did I mention the shitake mushrooms were raw? This is a big deal for me. I’ve never been a fan of raw ‘shrooms, something about the texture I think. But I think I’ve only ever tried regular button mushrooms in the raw. So I thought I’d give the shitake a try, because they really have a different texture & flavour. I tried a couple slices naked, and they weren’t too bad, so I went ahead and added the rest 🙂

This turned out really great. I can see this making it’s way into regular rotation, especially since it’s dirt cheap, easy to make, and good hot or cold. And you could beef it up more if you wanted, by adding more veggies or some protein – I think chicken, shrimp, or tofu would be excellent myself, but that’s just me. And there are leftovers, of course!

Did I mention I ate raw mushrooms and enjoyed them? I’m way too proud of myself over this. HA!

The rest of the evening saw dishes done, Dr Mario frustration (I could not beat the damn computer!), some laptop research, and then dessert.

Purdy’s Hedgehog Ice Cream. I really enjoyed this the first time I had it. This time…it was almost too rich. That made me sad, because I love hedgehogs. But really, even that little amount of ice cream was over the top. I guess that’s okay though, because it’s expensive, so it’s even more incentive to not buy it on a regular basis.

And now, it is already Saturday, and I’m still not in bed. You wonder why I sleep in all the time, eh? I am just naturally a night owl. Too bad the rest of the world won’t work on my schedule. Well, off to read and get some zzzz’s. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Dinner

9 Comments on “Oodles Of Noodles”

1. June 13, 2009 at 3:44 am #

I love the flavor of mushrooms, I’ll even eat mushroom gravy, but the texture of a raw or sauteed mushroom seems gross to me – almost spongy??

Your stirfry looks amazing – i could eat stirfry every day and not get sick of it!

2. June 13, 2009 at 5:20 am #

the cup was awesome!!!! too bad detroit lost

3. June 13, 2009 at 6:31 am #

Ewwwww – hot gyms are the worst 😦 YUCK! That meal looks delicious!! Raw shroomies!! You know I love ’em! Glad you took a risk with them!

4. June 13, 2009 at 6:38 am #

I put mushrooms in EVERYTHING, but still can’t help saying, “There’s a fungus among us” every time I do (yes, I talk to myself.)

Anyway, I live less than a mile from my gym as well, so since the weather broke I’ve been making it a habit to walk there. Oy. Sometimes the last thing I feel like doing is walking back home, but I’m a bit “greener” for it. Or something like that…just be careful at night!

5. June 13, 2009 at 10:32 am #

Purdys hedgehogs are my favourite, I saw the ice cream at T&T and was thinking about trying it but it is pretty pricey! Your noodles look great! I’ve never tried shiitake mushrooms before but I see them all the time at Kin’s.

6. June 13, 2009 at 11:13 am #

OMG, that noodle bowl looks like it came straight out of a restaurant! Great job on that one!!! Good for you for trying the mushrooms raw! At my house we’re divided. DS and I like them raw or cooked, DD and the hub, cooked only.

7. June 13, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

Mmmm the noodle bowl looks awesome.

8. Anne K.
    June 13, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

That’s cool you’re able to walk to the gym! But I totally know what you mean about it being unsafe to walk there at night. I am sooo uptight about that. Maybe it’s just cause I’ve had some scary experiences, but I get really nervous when I see girls walking, or RUNNING alone at night. Especially when they’re wearing HEADPHONES, for god’s sake! I’m always tempted to pull over and talk to them if I’m driving, ha. In a perfect world it’d be perfectly fine, but we don’t live in a perfect world–not even close. So ANYWAY, not walking to the gym at night is a perfectly good excuse! I don’t want anything to happen to you!

Ok I’m getting of my soap box now. That noodle bowl looks incredible! That’s quite the creation 😀

Have a great night!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What Happened To Yesterday? « from french fries to flax seeds - June 14, 2009

[…] a beautiful piece of fresh spring salmon to throw on the grill, and I ate it with some leftover peanuty noodle slaw from Friday night. You know how it’s goes, no pictures. There was some Chardonnay consumed as […]