Organic Islands Festival…And More!

This past Sunday, I headed out to the Organic Islands Festival here in Victoria.

organic islands 025

The festival was held in the beautiful Glendale Gardens & Woodland. I never even knew this place existed!

organic islands 024

organic islands 002

organic islands 008

As you can see, there were some booths up at the top of the gardens, but as you headed down the hill, the majority of the exhibitors were in a large open field area. There was also a cooking demonstration stage, and presentation stage in that area. In an adjacent field area, they had an entertainment stage and things “for the kids”.

The gardens themselves had a small vegetable garden, as well as a fruit “orchard”.

organic islands 006

organic islands 019

There were also many flowers in bloom, just asking to be photographed.

organic islands 004

organic islands 007

organic islands 022

There were a multitude of exhibitors, from the local health food/organic food stores, many organic/natural food companies, farms, alternative energy sources, clothing, personal care products, etc. Too many to list, that’s for sure! I made my way around all the booths, tried lots of samples, then decided it was time to find some lunch. I passed on the organic beer/wine garden 😉 and found some real food. First I snacked on some raw goodies from hOMe Grown Living Foods – a MACAroonie and Cacao Livies, both with a little raspberry cashew cream. Yum!

I was a bigger fan of the coconut one. I found the cacao one to be more date flavoured than cacao, which isn’t a bad thing, but not what I was looking for. But the raspberry cashew cream on each was pretty amazing 🙂

Then I went in the absolute opposite direction, and had a grilled turkey smokie on a whole wheat bun with caramelized onions, ketchup, and mustard (all organic/free range, of course).

Oh, apparently I had a little cookie sample along side it. I forgot about that 😉

I then had to go find some shade to hide in. I forgot to put on sunscreen before I left. It my defence, it was cloudy when I left my house – then the sun came out full force and it was HOT. I am looking a little pink today, that’s for sure.

I then made my way over to Beaver Lake where the Strawberry Festival was being held.

organic islands 026

I met up with my friend, and got my strawberries & vanilla ice cream – for 50 cents!

The line up for ice cream was insane! But they kept the customer moving through there. I lucked out, as my friends had lined up before I got there, and were just approaching the front of the line when I arrived 😀 Perfect timing!

It was one food-filled, sunny Sunday!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Festival, Lunch

12 Comments on “Organic Islands Festival…And More!”

1. July 6, 2009 at 8:03 pm #

Gorgeous pictures!

The strawberries and ice cream looks so good!

2. JB
    July 6, 2009 at 8:10 pm #

that festival looks amazing!! i would love to go to something like that! how fun. the thought of raspberry cashew cream is making my mouth water. it sounds soo delicious. have a good night!

-JB

3. July 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

I love festivals like that – just walking around – and pretty sure that strawberry ice cream is insulin worthy!!!

4. broccolihut
    July 6, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

Whoa! That festival sounds like so much fun–almost as much fun as that raspberry cashew cream:)

5. July 7, 2009 at 4:20 am #

What a BEAUTIFUL place!!!!!!!!!

6. July 7, 2009 at 4:39 am #

Holy crap. That looks like some place that I would plant myself and never leave! What a perfect day…I’m so jealous (mostly of that delicious ice cream mess there at the end).

Beautiful flowers, beautiful food…what more could you ask for? (More ice cream?)

7. July 7, 2009 at 4:57 am #

That place just looks so amazing!! I want that turkey smokie too, it looks sinful yet so healthy and delicious! I wish we had festivals like that around here 😦

8. July 7, 2009 at 5:35 am #

What a beautiful setting for a festival! Glad t hear the sun was out even if you got a little pink. I’m always sad when festivals get rained out!

Vanilla ice cram & strawberries sounds right up the delicious alley. And bonus that you didn’t even have to wait in line for it!

9. July 7, 2009 at 5:45 am #

STUNNING PICTURES!!!

10. July 7, 2009 at 6:56 am #

What gorgeous flowers!! I love the orange ones!

Looks like a fun festival! That MACAroonie sounds really good! You passed on the beer/wine?! I forgive you….;)

11. July 7, 2009 at 9:07 am #

I absolutely adore festivals like this. You musta had a blast. And holla! 50 cent icecream is slammin!

12. July 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm #

Gosh how wonderful! What a fun and beautiful time. Are those figs?