Where’s The Rest Of It?

Wow, today was a windy one out there! My bike ride was a bit ridiculous both to and from work – there were a few times where I thought I might be blown over. It made a sunny summer day a wee bit chilly, that’s for sure!

Have you missed my packed lunches? Because they too are back! Starting with an awesome sandwichblackforest ham, cheddar, lettuce, spinach, mustard, mayo, on Silver Hills “The Big 16” bread.

Fresh veggiescarrot, cucumber, and snap peas from my landlords’ garden. They have tons, and don’t think they’ll eat them before they go bad, so they told me to help myself. Who am I to say no to free, garden-fresh produce?

Plain, non-fat yogurt with crunchy peanut butter, my aunt’s homemade grape jelly, and flax seeds.

And a uber ripe kiwi, that I never ended up devouring. Poor thing, got all squishy in my backpack on the ride home form work 😦

I thoroughly enjoyed every bite of my lunch today 🙂 Plus a coworker brought in some gorgeous chocolate fudge, so I had a little nibble. Mmmm, fudge.

You’d think after all the outings from the weekend (don’t worry, part 2 is coming), I’d just want to come home after work and chill. Alas, my friend invited me to meet up at the Swiftsure Restaurant & Lounge, as Mondays are Taco Night – each taco is only $1! Who am I to say no to an invite out? I mean, really.

The Swiftsure is a nice little restaurant/lounge located in the Days Inn on the Inner Harbour in Victoria, right in front of the ferry terminals. It has an excellent patio, but unfortunately, all that wind = no patio tonight. No matter, it’s still a decent place to grab a drink & bite to eat. I’m not a big taco person, and wasn’t in the mood for drinking, so I went with the Halibut Brochette & Greenslemon & garlic marinate halibut skewers, mixed organic greens dressed with peach poppy seed vinaigrette.

Hmmmm. I only see one skewer. And uh, I thought I was ordering a salad. For $12, I would have like a little more greens on the plate. To be fair, you can’t actually see the two cherry tomato halves, and the two cucumber slices decorating the end of the plate. Good thing I ordered a side of Garlic Toast to go along with it!

The halibut had excellent flavour & texture, and I really enjoyed the light dressing on the salad. I just wish there was a heftier portion of greens, and that writing skewers, as in multiple, on the menu actually meant that. Is that too much to ask?

I’m sure you aren’t surprised that when I got home, I was a little peckish. I dug into one of my ED&BV Spelt Zucchini Muffins. Perfect!

I then received some good news – I can officially register in all the classes I want to on Thursday! I was just waiting to hear back on a biochemistry class, and the advisor has agreed to admit me to the class. Woot! Now let’s hope they all don’t fill up on me before Thursday morning.

I also spent the evening getting some random things done – writing letters, answering emails, determining all the places I need to change my address with, etc. After all the packing I did with my mom on the weekend, I’m totally fired up to get everything in order for the move. Too bad I don’t have any good packing boxes left, otherwise I’d have almost all my possessions packed already. How nerdy is that? I’m never that on top of things! But, since I have no boxes, I spent some quality time with Dr Mario and a green tea latte instead 😉

And now, we come to that time of the evening where I need to get to bed. A girl needs her beauty rest! Night 🙂

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dinner, Lunch, Restaurants, Snack

12 Comments on “Where’s The Rest Of It?”

1. July 14, 2009 at 12:47 am #

Glad everything with your classes is working out! Let me know what textbooks you need…I may have some kicking around, I have a big pile at my parents house to sort through.

2. July 14, 2009 at 3:50 am #

Sounds like a very productive day! That sammy looks GOOD!!
    If there was a place here that offered $1 tacos my husband would beg to be there every night!

Great news on the registering!! 😀

3. July 14, 2009 at 4:02 am #

I have a kiwi that needs to be eaten, sitting in the back of my fridge. Thanks for reminding me 😉

4. jessie
    July 14, 2009 at 4:49 am #

I found your blog while “google-ing” oatmeal I think.
    Reason why I hate it (it’s also the same reason why I love it): EVERYTHING LOOKS SO GOOD!!!!! (for ex: those sandwiches up there—YUM!).
    You make such good food combinations! I’m obsessing over the kashi go-lean crunch, puffins, and cranberries mixture…. being that my metabolism isn’t the best I’m waiting for a “special” occasion to actually have it…but wow it looks so good!
    i have to stop viewing your blog :-p

5. July 14, 2009 at 4:56 am #

Often at a restaurant I will see a super expensive salad, realize I could make it at home for a fraction of the price and move on. What a total bummer.

Muffins sound good though. 😀

6. July 14, 2009 at 5:21 am #

That garlic toast looks amazing!! Glad you’re clear to register – I thought mine was this morning so I got up super early but apparently it’s tomorrow 😉

I hate restaurants that charge an arm and a leg for nada! The bestie ordered a salad over the weekend that was lettuce, about 1/4 of a cucumber, and 2 olives. It cost more than her mom’s grilled chicken salad with fruit!

7. July 14, 2009 at 5:36 am #

Hooray for muffins and class stuff working out!! I never remember to eat my kiwis…

8. July 14, 2009 at 6:39 am #

What great eats! You sure do know how to make a sandwich. And $1 taco night? Oh, that sounds so good!

9. July 14, 2009 at 7:00 am #

i neeeeeed this cookbook! ed&bv has been on my to buy list for a while now!

10. July 14, 2009 at 7:55 am #

That was a pretty small dinner for $12! It did look good, though.

The ham & cheese looks devine….as your sandwiches usually do. 😉

11. July 14, 2009 at 9:39 pm #

LOL Swiftsure $1 tacos – my fiance used to work in the inner harbour and you can just imagine what a feast he would have!!! :oP

PS – I think you just convinced me. I have to go buy ED&BV!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Take That Swiftsure! « from french fries to flax seeds - July 14, 2009

[…] That Swiftsure! 14 07 2009 Remember my less than impressive salad from last night? Well, it left me craving a decent dinner salad, so that’s what was on the menu […]