A Perfect Night For A Hike

Well boys & girls, today was pretty much a great day 😀 I had things to do at work, different from the norm, which made the day go fast. I got in a great bike ride to and from work. Our BBQ lunch was spectacular – coleslaw, veggies, burgers, strawberries, brownies. They even bought whole wheat buns for the burgers! And really, you can’t go wrong with our BBQ setting – out on the top deck, overlooking the harbour in the sun. Too bad it would be just too awkward to be snapping photos, as I would have loved to share it with you!

Tonight was Skating Boot Camp night, so I had a snack when I got home to tide me over until my late dinner.

Another present from the lovely K – girl keeps my bar stash going! Naked bar shot.

We did something a little different this week at Boot Camp – we went on a hike. The location was Thetis Lake, which I had never been to in my 4+ years living here in Victoria. Wow, I wish I had been before, it’s a beautiful little spot, and a good 7 km hilly hike around all the interconnected lakes. I’m sure it helped that it was a gorgeous sunny evening. You better believe I snapped you all some photos 🙂

thetis 002

thetis 012

thetis 014

thetis 015

So pretty! I want to go back ASAP. Perhaps when the sister comes to visit.

I had dinner all planned out for when I got home – freezer leftovers! There was one serving of Turkey & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie hiding out in freezer, so I thawed that out and served it with ketchup (as it should be).

With a side of cheesy broccoli heaven. It’s been far too long.

I then spent part of my evening watching SYTYCD and having some anxiety attacks over registering for classes tomorrow morning. It may have involved phone calls to my parents, so they could tell me I’m being irrational. We’ll see how that all goes in the morning. Let’s just say, I’m beyond glad I took tomorrow off work. My mental health will benefit immensely for it.

I needed some nibbles later on, so I went with twist on an old favourite.

Many moons ago, I was a big fan of cold grapes mixed with a little low-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Since I had grapes, raspberries, blueberries, and Saskatoon berries in the fridge, I threw them all in. It was awesome. I highly recommend trying it, with any berries or grapes you have on hand. The tartness of the sour cream contrasts with the brown sugar to make a great little dessert.

Although I should probably go to bed, I think I’m going to kick it with my friend Dr Mario for a little bit. Wish me luck on registering tomorrow – I think I’m going to need it :S

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Dinner, Snack

9 Comments on “A Perfect Night For A Hike”

1. July 16, 2009 at 4:06 am #

Wow it is GORGEOUS there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. plentifulplants
    July 16, 2009 at 4:29 am #

You make me want to move to BC!

And good luck choosing courses, I’m not looking forward to registering for electives next month what with engineers getting last pick of arts and science courses and the inevitable 5am website crashes. Hope it goes more smoothly for you!

3. July 16, 2009 at 4:50 am #

That’s my fave flavor of Clif Bar, they are so delicious!!!!

4. lilybeans
    July 16, 2009 at 5:17 am #

I love sour cream and brown sugar on strawberries! I will have to try it with some other fruit next time.

5. July 16, 2009 at 5:59 am #

That lake certainly does look like a great setting for a hike! So peaceful and serene….

I’ve mixed sour cream with honey and poured it over fruit before. Tasty treats!

6. July 16, 2009 at 6:29 am #

Woohoo for the Clif!! What a gorgeous setting for your boot camp – it would certainly make the training that much better 😉

Good luck registering! I feel your pain on not getting your first choices. You’d think it would get easier the higher up you get in your program but no. At my old University it was AWFUL!!!

7. July 16, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

Ooooo you know where you should go? Hike up Mill Hill in Langford. The trail system up there actually connects to Thetis lake eventually if you wanted to make one HUGE hike out of it.

Anywho the views from the top are SPECTACULAR!!!!!!! In my opinion better than Mount Doug or the other one (forgot the name right now)! lol :oP

It’s a MUST do before you move! Take your sister!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. BC Day Long Weekend Part 2 – Rocks & Roll « from french fries to flax seeds - August 3, 2009

[…] To be honest, I took very few pictures as we walked around the lakes. You may remember that I recently visit the lakes with my Skating Boot Camp peeps, and grabbed some photos then. I figured I didn’t really need more of the same pictures. If you want to see them – click here. […]

2. Happy BC Day! « french fries to flax seeds - August 1, 2011