Check Out My Balls

Hee hee…get your minds outta the gutter!

After hitting up the gym this afternoon, I came home to set out on making dinner. I had taken out a package of ground turkey from the freezer that was a little old, but still okay to eat. I knew I had spinach and feta in the fridge, and remember than years ago, I had made turkey burgers with spinach & feta. I wasn’t really feeling burgers, so I made turkey meatballs 😀

I mixed up the following:

• 575 g ground turkey
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
  • ~75g sheep’s milk feta, crumbled
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • onion powder
  • black pepper
  • oregano

I shaped mine into 18 balls, and threw them in the oven for 30 min at 350 degrees F, flipping once.

Sienna waited patiently in the kitchen window for them to be done.

sienna 3299

Once they were done, I served them up with steamed veggies – carrot, cauliflower, and broccoli.

And some jasmine rice, that I later added a little soy sauce too.

The turkey meatballs had great flavour! I probably could have cooked them a little less, but that’s only because my oven is hotter than it says. Great way to use up some ground turkey that was getting a little freezer burnt 😉 And I was able to pop the leftovers back in the freezer for some quick dinners in the next month. Perfect!

Side note – does anyone know if you can get brown jasmine rice? I’ve never seen it, but I figure that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I love the how fragrant it is – it’s nice to have every once in awhile.

I packed a few boxes this evening with books. I was thinking I might be close to have enough boxes, but I’m going to need alot more than I thought! It’s okay, I’ve still got time. I was also posting a whole whack of items on Craigslist to hopefully get rid of before I move. I’d rather sell the items that are good than just give them away. I also need to find a used book store that will buy some of my old books I want to get rid of.

Eventually it was snack time. I wanted to use up the last of an old (not expired) container of milk, so I threw together a mini bowl of cereal.

I mixed together puffed rice, puffed kamut, Kingslake & Crane Choconola Mix granola and some craisins. It was the perfect little evening snack.

Well, it’s time I head to bed. Tomorrow is going to be interesting – people will start finding out that I’m leaving work in three weeks, so I’m sure there will be lots of questions once HR sends out the “office wide email” to announce it. I think that’s the part I hate most, explaining the same thing over and over again. Oh well – I’m sure I’ll get through it. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Dinner, Sienna

11 Comments on “Check Out My Balls”

1. July 20, 2009 at 3:30 am #

I don’t eat turkey but those balls look great! Good job!

2. July 20, 2009 at 3:48 am #

yum yum yum!!

3. July 20, 2009 at 5:33 am #

Yep!! There’s brown jasmine rice at Whole Foods here – hope you can get it in Canada!!

4. July 20, 2009 at 5:54 am #

Yum, your balls look delicious!! Seriously, great idea making meatballs. I just baught a bunch of ground turkey and I think I may follow your lead and whip up some juicy balls of my own 🙂

I really don’t think jasmine rice comes in brown, I’ve never seen it.

5. July 20, 2009 at 6:04 am #

Your balls look fantastic 😉

Good luck with selling stuff on Craig’s List – my boss did that with a bunch of her baby stuff when her kids outgrew it. Easy moolah!

6. July 20, 2009 at 7:02 am #

i’ve never seen brown jasmine rice..but i’ll def be on the lookout for it for you!!!

7. July 20, 2009 at 7:03 am #

Creative dinner!

Good luck at work this week, I’m sure it will go smoothly 🙂

8. July 20, 2009 at 7:19 am #

GREAT meatballs! I think Lundberg Farms makes a brown jasmine rice….

I just wanna reach through the computer and give Sienna’s cheeks a rub! 🙂

9. July 20, 2009 at 7:30 am #

That’s a good idea – I don’t like traditional meatballs, but I think I could eat turkey. Thanks!

10. July 20, 2009 at 1:18 pm #

Yes! I get brown jasmine at my WF! Jasmine is the only rice we eat, love it! 🙂

11. July 21, 2009 at 7:00 am #

yum! those meatballs look perfect! i DEF wanna make them VERY soon 🙂 i’ve seen brown frozen jamine rice at WF and i’ve tried the regular jasmine in the freezer section and its amazing. its their 365 brand and SO easy! it tastes really authentic too 🙂