Oatmeal Revelation

I think I made my favourite bowl of oatmeal ever today. Pretty bold statement, I know. But I’m serious. I didn’t want the bowl to end.

food2 707

Did it include chocolate? No. Coconut? No. Peanut Butter? No. So how could it possibly be my favourite, if it doesn’t include some of my favourite ingredients?

It is one of my favourite colours though.

food2 706

So what exactly did I add to my oats to produce such a beautiful green colour? Spinach? Kale? Food colouring? Nope!

food2 708

I call this Matcha Latte Goji Oatmeal. A bit of a mouthful – literally.

Isn’t it just gorgeous?

food2 709

Enjoyed with a glass of cranberry juice.

food2 704

I brainstormed this combination yesterday when I stopped at the store to buy salsa. I wandered into the bulk foods section, and noticed that organic goji berries were on sale, so I brought a small bag of them to try – I’ve never had a dried goji berry on its own before. I sampled one, and the taste reminded me of matcha green tea. I thought – why not pair the two in a bowl of oats? I’m a bit fan of matcha lattes, which is why I went all milk on the this bowl, to give it more of the latte feel. And it was so. freakin. good. I’m tempted to make a bowl again tomorrow.

True to my summer holiday fashion, this bowl of awesomeness was enjoyed rather late in the morning, servings as more of a brunch really. I did have snack later on – Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut granola bar.

food2 713

Proof I like that colour of green – that photo was taken in my newly painted bedroom.

I received some light bedtime reading in the mail.

food2 712

I know you are all jealous. Green with envy even.

My mom twisted my rubber arm into going to Costco with her this afternoon. I made sure to get some of my favourites into the cart (Kashi GoLean Crunch, Silver Hills bread). I supplemented my granola bar snack with some random samples while at Costco. Then we hit up Safeway for a few more items on the shopping list, where I spied a sweet deal on Larabars – $0.99 each!  They were all reduced to clear – me thinks Safeway is no longer going to carry them. This particular store only had Cashew Cookie, Peanut Butter Cookie, and Cherry Pie. I grabbed the last 4 Cashew Cookie, and 6 Peanut Butter Cookie. I’m tempted to check out some of the other local Safeways to see if they also have the same deal going, and if they have any other flavours left.

We got home, put away those groceries, and basically got started on dinner. On the menu was this amazing Mac & Cheese that a coworker of mine made for every potluck we had at work. It uses a small mountain of cheese – nothing low-calorie here!

food2 716

Paired with a salad of romaine lettuce, cucumber, green onion, and tomato (I picked those out), which I topped with ED&BV Roasted Red Pepper & Almond Hummus, sunflower seeds, and a little Annie’s Naturals Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing.

food2 715

A nice, balanced plate of deliciousness.

food2 714

Oh how I love homemade mac & cheese. I never made it for myself when I lived on my own, because you really can’t make a small batch – it’s just wrong!

We watched the results show of SYTYCD Canada, then I was off to the gym. I spent some time with the stair climber and bike, then had a fun ab session.

You all know what happens when I get back from the gym – dessert!

food2 717

Yes, there are still some Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies kicking around.

food2 722

As you can see I went the classy route, using a napkin as a plate.

I also had a small bowl of my homemade applesauce, heated up with pecans and raisins.

food2 718

And now Wednesday has come to a close. My summer is slipping away every so quickly – this time next week, I’ll be back in classes full swing! Which is why tomorrow is going to involve some school supply shopping for sure…perhaps even some laptop shopping? That’s a school supply, right?

Well, time to go read. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Grocery, Snack

15 Comments on “Oatmeal Revelation”

1. littlemissminny
    September 3, 2009 at 3:05 am #

Lovely oatmeal!
    Oh God, I know that biochemistry. It sucks. Thank god I passed it 😀

2. September 3, 2009 at 4:24 am #

Loving those oats girl!! They look delicious, and im sure the flavor is just fantastic! My safeway store cleared out their larabars too… bummer

3. Rosie
    September 3, 2009 at 4:35 am #

That all looks so yummy, especially the porridge!
    Rosie of BooksAndBakes

4. September 3, 2009 at 5:07 am #

Eh, you can keep your Biochem book (at least for now, I may have to take it…).

What a steal on the Laras! Glad you stocked up!! I’m in love with the mac and cheese, wonder why?! 😉

5. Lizzy
    September 3, 2009 at 5:19 am #

o snap girl! lovin me those oats, and i saw that brownie in there! I’m pretty sure that i need that! 🙂 have an awesome day!

6. September 3, 2009 at 5:55 am #

I cant believe you scored 99 cent Larabars! That’s great.
    The mac and cheese looks so delicious, it’s been way too long since I’ve had a good homemade mac and cheese, I crave it.
    WHY did you have to put a picture of the biochemistry book?! I will have nightmares now, thanks. haha

Regarding the oats, I love your unique combos. Mocha green tea is so random!! Yet, it does sound REALLY good, and the green color definitely had me confused!

7. September 3, 2009 at 6:15 am #

I’ve used matcha powder in oats before and I agree that it is awesome! I ran out of powder, though. 😦

What a great deal on Lara bars! I find that Clif Bars go on crazy sales like that around here sometimes.

How creamy & cheesy does that mac & cheese look? Oh, my….

8. September 3, 2009 at 6:39 am #

Ew Biochemistry, EWWW! Only one of the hardest subjects on earth! Blech. You go girl.

Beaut bowl of oats, I concur. And super great pricing on the larabars!!

9. September 3, 2009 at 7:58 am #

How fun are those oats! I love the funky color.

10. September 3, 2009 at 8:30 am #

That oatmeal sounds delish!!!!!! I loveeee matcha drinks!! My favorite is probably the soy latte from certain caffes! 🙂 Must try that concoction if I ever get the chance!

11. September 3, 2009 at 10:09 am #

muahhaha soo eating an Asian-style oatmeal is your favorite huh?!?!? well you might like me!! muhahahaha

GOSH everything looks gorgeous as usual. 🙂 Artsy too! Holy moly those brownies ARE fudgy!!!

12. September 3, 2009 at 11:23 am #

wow that’s such a creative bowl of oats! I vaguely remeber trying a matcha flavored bar of some sort once, and it definitely has a great flavor, so I’m sure your oats were amazing 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Mysterious Breakfast « from french fries to flax seeds - September 4, 2009

[…] of course. It was tempting to mix up some of those fabulous matcha goji oats I made earlier this week, but I saw some bananas in the fruit bowl, and was feeling the pb + b oats […]

2. A Whole Lotta Lara « from french fries to flax seeds - September 4, 2009

[…] how I got that great deal on Larabars this week, where Safeway was selling them off for $0.99 each? Well, I didn’t luck out and find anymore at […]

3. Taste Test – Kiss Me Organics Matcha Powder | french fries to flax seeds - June 9, 2014

[…] no secret that I love me some matcha. I’ve put it in oatmeal, macaroons, shortbread, and countless smoothies. I’ve ordered my fair share of green tea lattes […]