Denim Dilemma

It’s finally Friday! Another early morning, another long day. It’s weird, the things I do in the morning seem like they were so long ago, it’s like each of my days feels like two different days

Today started off like all my Fridays will from now through April – early 5:30 am wake up call! Followed by a quick breakfast.

food2 921

A bowl of Kashi GoLean Crunch topped with craisins, dried blueberries, and coconut.

Glass of Happy Planet Mango Peach Party? Check.

food2 919

Then it was off to school for that lovely 8 am biochemistry class. I think it should be cancelled on Fridays personally – who wants to get up for an 8 am class on Fridays, especially when it’s your only class?

After I got my learning on, I hopped on the bus and headed downtown for a day of shopping. I was down there by 9:30 am. Turns out, the stores don’t open until 10 am. DOH! So I hit up one of the 8 billion Starbucks for a little caffeine fix, in the form of a tall non-fat iced green tea latte.

food2 923

I must remember to ask for it half sweet next time, although, I was pretty tired, and probably needed the sugar rush anyways. Especially since I had some cardio shopping to do. I spent all morning looking for jeans and shoes Oh, how I hate jeans shopping. I’m sure everyone has their own personal jeans buying dilemmas, and I know you have to try on a billion pairs to find the perfect ones, but I just couldn’t decide. I may have a new found love of the skinny jean, but I’m not sure if I can pull it off. Then you have the salespeople, always telling me I need to buy a size smaller than I want to, because the jeans will stretch, but I don’t know how true that is. It seems counterintuitive to purposely buy something too small. Is it true though, that you need to buy smaller jeans because they stretch? I just don’t want to spend all that money and have something I’m not comfortable wearing.

So, instead of buying any new wardrobe additions, I went and got lunch from Urban Fare.

food2 928

Urban Fare is a somewhat gourmet/yuppie grocery store downtown, that has a great deli/sandwich/pizza/salad/hot bar, somewhat along the lines of Whole Foods. I saw that the Friday Hot Bar was “West Coast” today, so I went with that.

food2 929

I got some awesome chicken in a wild mushroom sauce, a wee scoop of mashed potatoes, and green beans.

food2 930

As well as the seafood in cream sauce – clams, mussels, and shrimp.

food2 934

And a whole lot of the stirfried veggies – they included broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and onions.

food2 932

Yes, I had more caffeine. School = sleepy girl

food2 933

I enjoyed my lunch down along the waterfront. It was a popular spot for lunch today. Can’t blame people – it was beautiful out!

food2 925

food2 935

food2 938

I was craving chocolate, so I picked some fancy ones up, but then never ate it, and instead made my way home on transit. LOL. Don’t worry, it didn’t go to waste.

I spent some time chillin’ once I was home, then my family got their dinner from A&W. I wasn’t actually hungry when they went to get dinner, and didn’t really want a burger & fries anyways, so I waited awhile, then decided I better make something so I would have digestion time before hitting the gym.

food2 955

I made a sandwich on some toasted Silver Hills Squirrelly Bread with cheddar, avocado, lettuce, ED&BV Lemon Cashew Basil Pesto, and a little Brianna’s Honey Mustard Dressing.

food2 950

There was some leftover potato salad, so I scooped a little on the plate.

food2 948

And I finished off the little nub of cucumber left in the fridge.

food2 955

Actually, that’s a lie. I never finished my dinner – I was still full from lunch. I had half the sandwich, and probably half the potato salad, with a couple cucumber slices. I packed up the sandwich & cucumber to take with me tomorrow (as I have to head out to the school for volunteer training).

Later on I spent some quality time at the gym. It was great – I hadn’t been able to go all week, as I’ve been trying to adjust to my sleep/travel/school schedule. I have a feeling I’ll only be able to get in a few trips per week, so I’ll just have to make those trips count 🙂

Remember I said I bought fancy chocolate?

food2 946

You better believe I chowed down on those when I got home.

food2 942

I picked these lovelies up at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. One is a Coconut Chocolate Bomb (coconut, chocolate, caramel filling), and the other is a Tiger Bomb (peanut butter, chocolate, caramel filling).

food2 945

I intended to only eat one, and had the Coconut Chocolate Bomb first. Uh, yeah, it was amazing. So amazing, I had to try the Tiger Bomb. Which was less impressive than the coconut one, sadly. I had high hopes – chocolate, peanut butter, caramel? Should be a winner. But it didn’t quite live up to the coconut one. Good thing these are pricey, otherwise I might stop by to pick them up on a regular basis.

And now, it’s past midnight, and I’m still awake. That is way too late for someone who got up at 5:30 am, so I’m off to bed. Need to be fresh and ready to learn at volunteer training, plus I need to ponder this whole denim dilemma as well – if any fashionistas out there could weigh in, that would be great! Nighty night

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Snack

14 Comments on “Denim Dilemma”

1. September 12, 2009 at 5:37 am #

Hooooly chocolate – glad the coconut one won 😀

2. September 12, 2009 at 6:22 am #

Hot Damn! I went to Urban Fare basically every day I was in Vancouver. I was staying at the Shangri-La Hotel so it was right there!! That place is awesome!!!

3. Nicole
    September 12, 2009 at 6:52 am #

Nice!! Perfect choices on the chocolate. I am a sucker for truffles.. I found vegan truffles at a local store once!

4. September 12, 2009 at 6:57 am #

The Urban Fare sounds awesome! Your food looks so fresh and delicious. The chocolates look great too, obviously. Way to kick that chocolate craving in the butt, by fulfilling it 🙂 That’s the best way to do it.

5. September 12, 2009 at 7:26 am #

So much great stuff in this post!

1)I totally agree that your Friday morning class should be cancelled
    2)Ice green tea latte? Uh….YUM!
    3) No Urban Fare here which is really too bad because the food looks out of this world. And the view you enjoyed while dining? 100% jealous of that.
    4) Love the idea to combine cheddar AND avocado
    5)HATE jean shopping. My waist to hip ratio is WAY off so all pants I try on have a BIG gap at the back. Ugh…
    6)delish looking fancy chocolates!

6. September 12, 2009 at 8:57 am #

I totally know what you mean with the long days – they feel like two days rolled into one! Urban Fare sounds like a great place!! Anything that is similar to WFs is always welcomed 😉

7. Ali
    September 12, 2009 at 9:04 am #

ice green tea lattes basically complete me, mmmm

8. Gloria
    September 12, 2009 at 9:09 am #

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Vancity. I wish i wasn’t stuck at work…But at least i have today off! 🙂
    Urban Fare is great, but way too expensive! haha 😦
    I bought a pair of skinny jeans a while back and they told me the same thing, so I listened and bought them a size smaller. They actually did stretch out a bit!

9. September 12, 2009 at 10:23 am #

I still haven’t checked out Urban Fare! I definitely buy jeans a bit small…they do stretch out throughout the day and I usually wear a few times before washing them.

10. Lizzy
    September 12, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Urban fair sounds like such a delightful place! love it! 🙂

those fancy chocolates are calling my name! ahh! 🙂

11. September 12, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

Jeans are definitely tricky to buy. I finally found that Express jeans fit me best of all, and literally now own 4 pairs of them. If it fits, I buy in bulk! 😉

Wow those chocolates sound divine, definitely suprising about the pb one not living up to expectations though.

12. September 12, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

It IS true (about denim)! I used to work in the industry 🙂

13. September 12, 2009 at 6:49 pm #

Ugh, I feel you on the denim dilemma. I get told to buy a size smaller, but I never do. I hate feeling like jeans are sticking to me – I know that skinny jeans are the trend, but if you saw me on the street you might think I was wearing one of Bobby’s pairs. I guess I’m the opposite of girl in that department 🙂

Urban Fare sounds really good! And I LOOOVE Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. I used to always pick up this marshmallow, peanut buttery rice krispy treat from there. I haven’t seen one since we moved away from Minnesota…those chocolates look amazing!

14. marie
    September 12, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

I wouldn’t call myself a fashionista, but I do have lots of jeans, and I’ve never had a pair stretch after I bought them. Quite the opposite, I think they shrink after a few washings.