Fresh Food – Fast

Long day, long post ahead. I’ll try and keep the commentary brief, for your sake, and mine as I have some important reading to get done before bedtime.

As our milk had gone bad, I decided to forgo my regular oatmeal or cereal for breakfast.

food2 1036

Peanut butter + + honey on toast!

food2 1034

I toasted up two slices of Silver Hills “The Big 16” bread, and topped it with peanut butter, banana slices, and honey.

food2 1032

Check out that honey drizzle.

food2 1033

The usual glass of juice – pomegranate cranberry – joined my pb+b+h toast.

food2 1030

*insert public transit commute & psychology lecture here*

Lunch time came around, and I had more of that delicious chana masala & brown jasmine rice I made earlier this week.

food2 1039

As you saw in my previous post, there was also a gala apple

food2 1044

And I packed a bag of my custom trail mix to keep me going during my 4 hour lecture this afternoon.

food2 1041

With the whole wheat naan & mango chutney accompaniments, it was an excellent packed lunch

food2 1038

Let me tell you, that trail mix was the best idea for my long days. I didn’t even eat the whole bag, but it kept hunger at bay even on my way home from school. Three cheers for trail mix

I actually wasn’t even that hungry when I got home from school, so I threw together a small plate of food, much like my tasting plate from Tuesday.

food2 1046

There were veggies already cut up in the fridge, ready to go – thanks mom! I threw in the cheese because, well, I have a cheese problem.

food2 1048

Some of those spectacular sweet local shrimp.

food2 1049

And the other half of my naan, toasted & wedged.

food2 1051

With a little bit of bubbly

food2 1053

The meal was capped off with two of my mom’s homemade cookies.

food2 1056

I think dinner & dessert took me what, 5 min total to put together? If that. Which is interesting, because we were talking in my afternoon class (Land, Food, and Community) about how it’s deemed easier to just stop and pick up some fast food instead of making your own meals at home, and that as students, we just don’t have time to do so. Now, I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but come on – that is just an excuse. I agree, sometimes, it is easier. But it takes very little planning to have a few go-to items in your fridge/cupboard/freezer so that you don’t HAVE to pick up a burger & fries. I think I threw together a pretty good meal. Or even a sandwich – how long does that take? No reason you can’t eat a sandwich for dinner. It was really interesting to hear the perspectives of many of my fellow students in class, because it seems like that is more the norm than my way of thinking, and I guess I just take for granted that everyone would see it my way because of my involvement in this whole food blogging community.

That’s all I have for insight tonight. Off to read something intellectual. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Snack

8 Comments on “Fresh Food – Fast”

1. September 18, 2009 at 2:48 am #

awesome!

i agree. most of the time, when i resort to going out for lunch, it’s because i just really didn’t feel like making anything, not so much because i didn’t have time! (same goes for when i have a fake supper, like of chips and salsa or fried plantains. manage to almost never ever get/order in take out, which i think is pretty good!)

2. September 18, 2009 at 5:04 am #

When I was in Vancouver I walked into Urban Fare and that Big 16 bread was the first thing I saw. I instantly thought of you!!! hahaha oh the blogworld. I wanted to pack a loaf and bring it back with me, but that sounded a little ridiculous. That PB, B, & H toast looks awesome. If you ever want to have a little bloggie package swap keep me in mind hahah!

3. September 18, 2009 at 5:39 am #

I love your trail mix!! I like to add things to my popcorn too. Sometimes I mix my granola with popcorn, which is a nice treat.
    Those cookies look great, and I agree with you about making dinner vs. picking it up. It’s not hard to put a good meal together! Now if you have picky eaters (children) in the house, that’s one thing, but if you know how to control your child’s eating (in a healthy way) you won’t have a picky eater in the first place!

4. September 18, 2009 at 6:31 am #

I have to agree with you on the last part of your post. I think grabbing fast food to save time is generally hogwash. Simple meals do not take long to prepare and if need be, a little planning in advance goes a long way. There are nights when we need a fast dinner or get home late for dinner that I make a big omelette or eggs, grilled cheese or make your own subs and the kids are just as happy to eat this way as a full sit down meal. The crock pot is also a lifesaver for my family in the winter for roasts, stews, chili, soups, etc.

And I can’t forget to mention that I think your trail mix looks most awesome!! I’m thinking of trying something like that, only nut free, for the kids lunches and (with nuts) for Noah’s pre/post hockey snacks.

5. September 18, 2009 at 7:01 am #

Your breakfast problem reminded me of my bio lab yesterday. We basically had to curdle milk and it was disgusting! I hate when people use time as an excuse for eating fast food (or money to an extent because really how much would it cost per serving to cook up a big batch of soup/beans & rice/whatever).

6. Lizzy
    September 18, 2009 at 7:05 am #

bah fast food is just not appetizing. Yes it might be easy to just stop through the drive thru, but seriously if people took the time out they spend in line and actually just prepared a meal at home, i bet you it would take the same amount of time.

7. September 19, 2009 at 7:54 am #

Totally agree! And not only is cooking for yourself a better option but you’ll feel better and feel a little more accomplished. 😀

8. September 19, 2009 at 2:13 pm #

too many YUMMIESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

indian food!! beautiful banana breakfast!! snack plates! shrimpies!! cookies!! I love it all!!

HAPPY WEEKEND M!