Number Crunching

It’s what, the 3rd week of school, and I’m already having some minor grade anxiety? That’s can’t be a good thing

I had to prep for a very long, busy day today. Yes, Thursdays are normally my long day, but I had two extra meetings to go to, and my first graded assignment – our group presentation.

You’d think oatmeal would be the preferred fuel for a day like today, but I wasn’t in a cooking mood when I got up, so cereal won out.

food2 1211

A combination of Kashi GoLean Crunch and Peanut Butter Puffins, topped with dried cranberries and coconut.

food2 1214

It’s been far to long since I’ve had Puffins for breakfast. Oh Puffins, why you gotta be so damn expensive?!

food2 1210

Paired up with a glass of cranberry pomegranate juice.

food2 1209

After a riveting psychology lecture, I found myself a nice bench in the sun to eat my lunch and prepare for my presentation in the afternoon. I packed quite a spread to last me throughout the day.

food2 1215

For lunch, I chowed down on my sandwichSilver Hills bread, avocado, cheddar cheese, and ED&BV Lemon Cashew Basil Pesto.

food2 1223

Plus my concord grapes. They are really good – the skins are a little tart, and the centres sweet. Yum!

food2 1218

To fuel me through my lecture/presentation, I brought along more custom trail mix. I maybe had half the bag, if that.

food2 1220

And because I was staying after my class that ended at 6 pm for a meeting, I brought along a this gala apple

food2 1217

And a Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar.

food2 1216

I didn’t have my normal 3 hour break between classes, as I had my first meeting of the day – the Dietetics Applicant Info Session. Where I was also lucky enough to meet up with a blog reader/fellow applicant (Hello Bronwyn!). Too bad we didn’t get more time to chat – we’ll have to go coffee sometime 🙂 The session itself was quite informative, but sent me into a tizzy when I found out how they would calculate my GPA using my grades from my previous degree/school. I thought I was going to be screwed, but I pulled out my transcripts when I got home, and was able to put my mind at easy with some quick number crunching. I’m still not 100% positive on how they will calculate my GPA, as not all my classes transfer directly, but I think I’ll still be okay. Phew! I also got some really great insight into the rest of the application process, and what I can do to make sure my application stands out

I also had my first assignment today – our group presentation. It went very smoothly, and we got decent marks. There are definitely things to improve on, but we have 3 to do over the whole course, and we get to keep our best 2 out of 3 marks, so we can only go up from here.

After the epic 4 hour class, I was off to my second meeting of the day, for a volunteer position to help my dietetics application in February. It’s for a program called Nutrikids, where student volunteers form teams of three, and go into elementary schools to teach nutrition workshops to the students there. I think it will be really valuable experience, and I’m looking forward to putting together our workshops. I’m all about making fun posters!

Of course, this late meeting meant I wasn’t home until 8:40 pm! Look what I found when I walked in the door.

food2 1226

The table, all set and ready for me to eat dinner. Thanks mom!

On the menu tonight – Chunky Potato Soup.

food2 1234

The soup has potato, carrot, celery, onion, chicken stock, cream, and swiss cheese. I doctored mine up with a little black pepper and fresh chives. I’m thinking corn would be an excellent addition as well.

food2 1229

There was also a loaf of crusty whole wheat bread, so I toasted a couple slices, spread on a little butter, and topped them with cucumber slices, salt, and pepper.

food2 1230

With a bottle of the bubbly water.

food2 1227

Now that I’m thoroughly exhuasted, both mentally and physically, I’m off to bed. Tomorrow is Friday – woot! Night

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Snack

13 Comments on “Number Crunching”

1. lessonstolearn
    September 25, 2009 at 3:56 am #

That is so sweet that your mom left the table set for you!

When will you be applying for the program? I will not be done with my prerequisites in time to apply now and start next Sept., so I am planning to apply next January for the following September. It seems so far away!!

• September 28, 2009 at 1:59 pm #

I’ll be applying to the program for Sept 2010 – so I have to have my application in by Feb 28, 2010. Hopefully I’ll have gotten enough done to ensure I get in that year.

2. September 25, 2009 at 5:03 am #

As a former dietetic student, I will give you some advice. Getting involved with programs like the NutriKids is REALLY important for your application. NOt only for your current application, but later down the road when you apply for internships! That program sounds great. Even getting involved in foodservice and/or anything else that has to do with exercise and nutrition. I love to hear your updates on the process, as it’s pretty different than what I went through. Definitely highlight your blog, as it’s fantastic and it really shows another side of you.

• September 28, 2009 at 2:04 pm #

Gina,

Our whole application process to the program is pretty intense. They have 30 spots a year, and usually between 100 – 150 students applying for them. They look at the following things:

Grades (30 pts) (minimum 70% avg to even be considered, admittance avg last year was high 70’s) Resume (25 pts) Reference Letters (5 pts)

They give you a score based on those, then they take the top 50 people, and you have an interview which is worth the remaining 40 pts.

The whole reason it’s so competitive is that the university organizes and assigns you your internship when you are done, so you don’t have to apply or worry about it later on. We also get to pay an extra $1500/year in tuition for that privelage. As far as I know, UBC is the only school in Canada that guarantees your internship at the end. I think that’s why they want to see so many extras on your resume, because you don’t need to prove it later on.

Marianne

3. September 25, 2009 at 5:32 am #

For real! I’ve never seen Puffins on sale! Where’s the love for its consumers? And I’ve been totally craving them lately.

4. Lizzy
    September 25, 2009 at 7:17 am #

So glad all your meetings went well. you will do awesome

your mom is so cute, setting the table for you for when you get home! trust me i know how it feels to get home after 8, its the same for me on tuesday and thursday’s to, and i walk in the door starving! I love your toasted bread with cucumber slices, totally something i would do! 🙂

5. Bronwyn
    September 25, 2009 at 7:59 am #

It’s was awesome to meet you too, and we definitely didn’t get enough time to chat. We definitely should go for coffee sometime. I hope everything works out with your grades/waivering problems. Stupid university!

8:40 is so late. There are times I totally appreciate living on campus.

6. September 25, 2009 at 7:59 am #

What a nice little picnic in the sun 🙂

Your mom is too sweet!

7. September 25, 2009 at 8:04 am #

That is one DELISH day!! I want everything you posted 🙂

When I was in the elementary schools, nurses came in to talk to the kids and the kids LOVED it! I think Nutrikids sounds like a great opportunity for you.

8. September 25, 2009 at 8:06 am #

What a l-o-n-g day! Good thing mama bear had a wonderful dinner ready for you!

Glad to hear the projust well well…

9. September 25, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

Whoa, that bread looks perfectly crust and delicious!

10. September 28, 2009 at 8:41 am #

Heheh Cereal is my default breakfast when i’m lazy or not feelin’ it. Why not when it’s tasty and it’s what you crave right???

Nutrikids sounds like FUN!! I can imagine a fun corporate culture there. 🙂 Lots of tasting?!?

11. Tiffany
    December 6, 2009 at 5:55 pm #

Hey Marianne!

This is Tiffany from Nutrikids. Great blog – recently stumbled onto it via your reference to our group. Good luck with your dietetics application and if you ever want to chat about dietetics, internship etc. feel free to email me! 🙂

Tiff