Carbs & Cookbooks

There is always one thing that makes my 12 hour Tuesdays & Thursdays a little more bearable – knowing when I get home, dinner will be ready and waiting for me

food2 1328

Tonight was a completely home cooked meal.

food2 1335

Mom made mac & cheese. Not the uber-insane cheese one from my coworker’s secret recipe, but her usual version, which is always delicious. Check out that cheesy crust.

food2 1330

Alongside there were steamed green & yellow beans.

food2 1332

And a homemade cheddar & green onion soda bread. Mom might not have used whole wheat pasta, but the bread was whole wheat.

food2 1331

I was totally carb loading and loving every bite

food2 1333

So much so, that I did go back for a 2nd slice of that tasty bread

food2 1336

Not only was dinner waiting for me when I got in the door, but so was this.

food2 1337

My aunt dropped off a box of cookbooks she was getting rid of. She was going to let me go through them and keep what I wanted, then give the rest to charity. Does she know me, or what? πŸ˜€

I decided to only keep one though.

food2 1339

The General Foods Kitchens Cookbook – First Edition, circa 1959.

food2 1343

Apparently my grandpa won this book when my aunt was around 13 or so, and gave it to her. And she has never even used it!

What made me decide to keep this one? Well, this was the page I opened it up to.

food2 1340

You had me at tempura

So then I had to continue flipping through, and it looks like there are a tong of great recipes to work with. Not to mention the kitschy layout and pictures!

food2 1341

Even in 1959, people were looking for meatless meals

food2 1342

Although, I can’t say there was any mention of fully vegan meals πŸ˜‰

Other than that, my evening consisted of some quality tv watching (Hell’s Kitchen & SYTYCD Canada), and completion of my hockey pool stats. The hockey draft is tomorrow, which means I’m going on a road/ferry trip after my 8 am class over to Victoria! I’ll be there all day, and get to visit with all my old coworkers. I’m excited!

5:30 am is coming quick, so I’m off to sleep. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Books/Cookbooks, Dinner

9 Comments on “Carbs & Cookbooks”

1. Lizzy
    September 30, 2009 at 5:17 am #

MMM homemade dinner = amazing! so glad you got to come home to that. That cookbook looks super awesome, i bet you my family has tons laying around too!

2. September 30, 2009 at 5:23 am #

That bread and mac and cheese sounds/looks AMAZING!!
    Enjoy your morning class and the ferry trip!

3. littlemissminny
    September 30, 2009 at 9:42 am #

That bread really looks tasty! I’m home alone,so nobody will be making dinner for me 😦 But I’ll make myself a wonderful dinner… πŸ™‚

4. September 30, 2009 at 10:04 am #

Some recipes in old cookbooks like that crack me up! There’s always those few ‘What the heck?!’ recipes.

That bread looks fantastic!!

5. September 30, 2009 at 10:05 am #

PS. Is there a recipe for that bread? I’d love to make it!

• October 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

K – I will get the recipe for you. I think my mom actually cut it out of the paper.

6. September 30, 2009 at 11:14 am #

If you are looking for more meatless comfort food recipes you should check us out at http://www.meatlessmonday.com/pbj-pancakes/. It’s our latest breakfast recipe, but if you ask me pancakes are good any time of day! We post new meatless recipes every Monday, so stay tuned…
    ~VP

7. September 30, 2009 at 11:19 am #

I bet coming home to a nice cooked meal rocks. Lucky gal!!

That old cookbook is way cool…

8. September 30, 2009 at 12:25 pm #

I wish someone would cook for me! That bread and mac and cheese looks so good. Makes me crave mac and cheese!