Surprise, Surprise

This fine Sunday morning, I actually woke up a decent time. Normally, I end up wasting my day away because I sleep in late, but I was up and at ‘em at 9 am. Maybe I’m finally getting used to earlier mornings? Yeah right.

I decided to cook up a fancy bowl of oats this morning for dessert breakfast.

food2 1403

This bowl has a little surprise though. Can you guess what it is?

food2 1405

Have you guessed? What is this oatmeal’s secret?

food2 1404

Here are the ingredients (and no, they aren’t the secret).

• 1/2 cup oats, unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze, water
  • 1 small banana, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp flax seed
  • Maranatha Organic Peanut Butter
  • mini chocolate chips

food2 1407

With a glass of cranberry juice.

food2 1408

One oatmeal surprise, coming up!

food2 1401

Okay, I’ve kept you in suspense long enough. When I dished out the oats, I put half in the bowl, then added a little bit of the PB and some chocolate chips, then the rest of the oats with more PB & chocolate chips. That way I got some melty, creamy, deliciousness in every spoonful. It was beyond decadent.

I spent alot of time doing little things around the house – dishes, laundry, picking players for my second hockey pool. Just getting caught up on things around the house before my mom got home, and before the new school week starts. Alas, I never got around to anymore homework, but I’m sure my brain needed the break. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Eventually I required lunch, and I’m sure my meal will not come as a surprise to you – leftover Chinese food.

food2 1415

Diced Chicken & Cashew.

food2 1418

Chicken Chow Mein.

food2 1414

Sweet & Sour Pork.

food2 1413

And yeah, I totally sprinkled on the sesame seeds just for photography purposes.

food2 1410

Alas, this is where the food photos end. My cousins came over in the early afternoon, to pick up the Thanksgiving turkey (can you believe Thanksgiving is next weekend already? I need to sort out what I’m baking for dessert stat!) They stayed and visited for awhile, then I went with them back to their house. We played a little Guitar Hero World Tour, then went out for sushi at a new restaurant in town. OMG – it was wonderful. The place is smallish, but all new, clean, nice decor. They were attentive and the food was great. They even brought our table a complementary dish. I ordered a veggie roll and dynamite roll, as well as two piece of salmon nigiri. They give you the option of Atlantic farmed salmon or wild sockeye salmon which is great (I chose the sockeye of course). My cousins had this delicious baked spicy scallop roll that I would order in a heartbeat if I went back. I just wish I had taken pictures, because it was presented so beautifully on the plate. The price was right too – $14 including tip. Don’t worry, I’ll be heading back for sure and I’ll give you the run down.

We may have also made a stop at Dairy Queen, where I enjoyed a small hot fudge sundae. Not my favourite ice cream, but whatcha gonna do?

I made my way home, watched some Amazing Race, and soaked in the hot tub. What a great end to a Sunday evening.

I shall leave you with a photo of Sienna and Wilson. They decided to share the same chair last night. And fortunately no one tried to kill each other – mostly because my dad moved Wilson shortly after he jumped up there. Night!

sienna 3356

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Lunch, Sienna, Wilson

16 Comments on “Surprise, Surprise”

1. October 5, 2009 at 2:19 am #

Now I want choco-PB oats… i have no chocolate though 😦 LOVE the kitties!!

2. lessonstolearn
    October 5, 2009 at 4:15 am #

Yummy oats!

I love you’re kitty pictures! Looks like they are tolerating each other better????

• October 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm #

They look like they might be behaving there, but they still hiss at each other all the time. Although, my dad did find them both sleeping on opposite ends of my bed one day, and no one had died, so it’s hard to say.

3. October 5, 2009 at 4:17 am #

gahhh those oats look scrumptious! ooey gooey is just the way they should be! 🙂 and chinese food looks yummy too! i havent had chinese take out in a while and those noodles are screaming my name lol

4. October 5, 2009 at 5:00 am #

HOOOLY yum oats; and cute cats 😀

5. Yasmin
    October 5, 2009 at 5:20 am #

Nothing is better than pb and chocolate. I can’t believe I haven’t tried this yet. Dairy Queen is the Texas stop sign! Next time you have to splurge and get one of their decadent blizzards 🙂

6. October 5, 2009 at 5:20 am #

GRRREAT looking oats!! I still have yet to add cocoa to my oats, but the idea is fantastic. I can’t believe I haven’t yet!
    So your Thanksgiving is in a week? Oh yes, I see it on my calender right now! Do you have traditional turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce like in America? PRobably not, but I can’t wait to see what some Canadian traditions are.

• October 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm #

Actually, we do have the whole turkey/stuffing/cranberry sauce meal. It might be a little different, but I think it’s pretty traditional. My family usually has the same meal at Christmas and Easter as well, which is a bit odd, but I figure any excuse for turkey with all the trimmings is a good thing 😉

7. Lizzy
    October 5, 2009 at 5:29 am #

woah those oats look awesome! can i come for breakfast!?

8. October 5, 2009 at 6:12 am #

You freaked me out for a second when I read that Thanksgiving is next weekend! I had to do a double take, haha 🙂

Have a great Monday!

9. October 5, 2009 at 7:58 am #

My Pepper is starting to look a lot like your Sienna!

It’s nice to hear that you’ve been spending time with your cousins. I wish I had more of’em that actually lived in Canada!

• October 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm #

It’s great, all of my extended family lives in the Lower Mainland. I was the only one who was out of town for the past 5 years.

10. October 5, 2009 at 10:12 am #

those oats would be fabulous ❤ yum yum!

11. October 5, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

omg those oats are AWESOME!!!!

12. October 5, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

Great idea to “sandwich” more mix-ins in your oats–must try that!

13. October 6, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

Sienna is thinking: I OWN this chair b.