Squashing Hunger

Turns out I was on my own for dinner. My sister called me from work, and said she was picking up McChoke-n-Pukes McDonalds for dinner. She was kind enough to ask me if I wanted anything. That’s something, right?

Strangely, I passed on that option, and went searching for appealing dinner ingredients. I decided upon two main ingredients.

Lundberg Garlic Primavera Risotto.

food2 1510

And this beauty I made my mom buy at the farmer’s market a few weeks back.

food2 1507

Kabocha squash! I was pretty excited to see them at the market, and for a wicked price ($0.79/lb). I’d still never tried them…until now!

So I set about cooking the risotto per package directions, while my kabocha wedges roasted in the oven (400 F for 45 min, with a light brush of olive oil to help it out). I think it turned out fantastic.

food2 1521

I also steamed the small amount of broccoli left in the fridge, and stirred that into the risotto. Then it was plating time.

food2 1529

I filled one wedge (1/6 of the squash) with some risotto, and topped it with a little shaved parmesan.

food2 1520

Now who would choose McShits McDonalds over this? I mean really.

food2 1516

For a prepackaged risotto, it was quite good. It definitely benefitted from the addition of broccoli and parmesan, but it was a decent boxed dish on it’s own. And the kabocha – totally not like any squash I’ve had before. It has virtually no stringy-ness, and such a sweet flavour. Similar to a sweet potato I find. I can totally see why people add this squash to sweet foods or breakfast oats. It was a really nice contrast to the savoury, salty risotto.

I finished dinner just in time to enjoy me some hockey! My Canucks were playing again this evening, and boy, did they redeem themselves. They ended up winning the game 7-1, making me a very happy fan 😀

This happy fan was then in the mood for a little snacky snack.

food2 1533

Frozen raspberries & blueberries in milk, with a splash of vanilla and sprinkle of brown sugar. Love that frosty slush that forms around the berries

food2 1532

I have an extra long day on campus tomorrow, so it’s time to get some shut eye. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Dessert, Dinner

11 Comments on “Squashing Hunger”

1. October 8, 2009 at 12:13 am #

I love lundberg Risotto I tried a few other flavors and loved it all!

2. lessonstolearn
    October 8, 2009 at 4:52 am #

I still haven’t tried kabocha! I love butternut and spaghetti squash, and I’m sure I’d love this one too. I just always forget to look for one. I like how you served it too!

3. October 8, 2009 at 5:08 am #

Haha, my dad calls Micky D’s ‘McRalphs.’ Your dinner looks MUCHO better!!

Hopefully the Wings can take a note from the Canucks and get a win tonight! Wishful thinking, right?!

4. October 8, 2009 at 5:09 am #

PS. Have you ever watched How I Met Your Mother? Robin (one of the main characters) is from Vancouver and is a Canucks fan 🙂

5. October 8, 2009 at 6:12 am #

WHAT A GREAT DINNER!!! No way would I eat Mickey D’s over that! Come cook at my house, K???

6. October 8, 2009 at 7:38 am #

So glad you like the kabocha, it’s become one of my favorite foods lately. Try it with hummus – I promise you’ll love it!

7. October 8, 2009 at 9:12 am #

OMG, I laughed out loud at the McShits! I still have not not found that squash – I keep looking! Yours turned out amazing!

8. October 8, 2009 at 11:06 am #

Super jeal of your kabocha–I can’t find it anywhere!

9. October 8, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

I would definitely pick this over McDonald’s! 🙂

10. October 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

i’ve never heard of that type of squash. i’m going to have to hunt it down and try it out.

11. October 8, 2009 at 5:24 pm #

Dinner looks great. I was looking forward to cook my kabocha and found that it molded on me. Time to get another one.