Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

I spent the majority of my Thanksgiving long weekend away from the computer. Good for me, because I got to enjoy my time with family (and get in some important biochemistry studying), but bad for you because I failed to post all weekend! I have a bunch of pictures on my camera, although none from Thanksgiving dinner, since it wasn’t at our house. I’ll give you the quick and dirty run down of the weekend, then reveal what I know you are all wondering – what did Marianne bake for dessert?

Here’s a basic recap of how I spent my weekend:

Saturday

• slept in
  • Thanksgiving baking part 1
  • Pampered Chef party at my cousin’s house (as much as I wanted to, I couldn’t buy anything, since I have no job)
  • Thanksgiving baking part 2
  • back to cousin’s house for Guitar Hero World Tour, leftover PC party snacks, and alcohol consumption – good times!

Sunday

• slept in (do we see a pattern?)
  • Thanksgiving baking part 3
  • gym
  • additional food prep for dinner
  • Thanksgiving dinner at the cousin’s (turkey, stuffing, gravy, veggies, alcohol – you know how it goes)
  • hockey game watching (during dinner)
  • PVR watching once home

Monday

• slept in
  • computer work
  • walk down at Rocky Point with sister
  • homework & studying galore
  • soup making

For your viewing pleasure, some random food shots from the weekend – trust me, this ain’t everything. There were alot of non-meals, snacking, shots…hey, it was a long weekend! I was having fun 😀

food2 1566  food2 1578

food2 1580  food2 1587

food2 1616  food2 1617

food2 1624  food2 1629

food2 1631  food2 1639

Now that we’re all caught up on that, let’s get down to the baking. Mmmm, baking.

Per usual, I was on dessert duty this holiday meal. And I can’t just make one dessert – I’m all about giving the people choice. Plus it’s an excuse to bake more. I had a request from my cousin’s wife to make something “mocha almond fudge”, and figured there needed to be a pumpkin dessert in there as well. I went searching both in my massive cookbook collection and online, and finally settled on two recipes.

First, my pumpkin creation

food2 1592

I decided to forgo the traditional pumpkin pie for a pumpkin square. The recipe I ended up using was this one: Pumpkin Pecan Pie Bars.

food2 1591

I only made some very minor modifications to the recipe:

• substituted half the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour
  • used 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp nutmeg for the 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • baked in a 9 X 13 inch pan as opposed to a jelly roll pan

food2 1593

I think they turned out really well. I would probably up the amount of spice in them, as I found it a little lacking for my tastes, but otherwise a really simple, tasty bar recipe. Great for someone like me who isn’t into making pies.

food2 1596

Then there was the pièce de résistance of dessert – the cheesecake.

food2 1613

Not just any cheesecake though. Mocha Almond Fudge Cheesecake. Oh yeah baby

food2 1608

There were no substitutions. None were needed. Really, it was cheesecake perfection.

food2 1606

Even for someone like me who isn’t a coffee drinker, this is a keeper.

food2 1607

This was raved about by all who ate it at dinner (which was everyone but my sister – she was totally missing out). I think everyone asked for the recipe. That must say something. I highly recommend you make this. Now.

And now I’m on a sugar detox, because man…I ate way too many sweet things this weekend, and my tummy is letting me know! Good thing there’s more than 2 months until Christmas dinner – I’ll forget about it by then, and be ready to bake up some more decadent treats to enjoy 🙂

Well, that’s about it from my neck o’ the woods. I hope all my Canadian friends had a great Thanksgiving weekend with friends or family. We’ll be back to regularly scheduled posting tomorrow. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Family, Holiday Meals, Lunch, Snack

13 Comments on “Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!”

1. October 13, 2009 at 2:42 am #

Fabulous Thanksgiving fare!! Your dessert-making skills are uncanny.

2. October 13, 2009 at 4:40 am #

I’m the same way with holiday desserts, as the family pretty much expects a couple different options. With that said, I am more than willing to oblige and usually do something similar–a bar, a cheesecake and maybe a trifle, cake or cookie. I love having people to bake for, so I look forward to this part of the holidays! And your bars look incredible…might have to try those this year.

Happy Thanksgiving up there!

3. October 13, 2009 at 7:29 am #

Both of those desserts look amazing – want to come bake for my Thanksgiving?! 😉

Sounds like you had a lovely holiday weekend!!

4. October 13, 2009 at 8:11 am #

Sounds like you had a great long weekend!! Both desserts sound/look incredible….

5. Riss
    October 13, 2009 at 9:11 am #

Those bars look absolutely incredible!! I’m going to turn orange from the over-load pumpkin trip I’ve been in recently, but I HAVE to try those!! Saving the recipe til my Thanksgiving, though! Just a tad too much sugar to indulge on during a normal day. Can’t wait. =)

6. October 13, 2009 at 10:08 am #

My GOD the cheesecake sounds and looks amazing!! I can imagine why it would be raved about all through the meal….yum!!! *drool* I want Canadian thanksgiving to come to the US!! WOuldn’t it be fun to celebrate it twice?? 🙂

7. October 13, 2009 at 1:14 pm #

wow! That cheesecake looks delicious. And those bars look as good! Yum. Might have to try those pumpkin bars sometime soon. Glad to hear you enjoyed your long weekend. If only it were longer…. 😉

8. October 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU!

love your pumpkin creation!

9. October 13, 2009 at 7:55 pm #

Oh girl.

Those desserts

Pure sweet heaven. Holy Hannah!

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving you Canadian!

10. October 13, 2009 at 8:21 pm #

Looks like a perfect Thanksgiving–can I come over next year?

11. May 31, 2010 at 10:07 am #

I invented that cheesecake for my blog and I must say yours looks outstanding. So glad you liked the recipe! It really is a great one.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Wacky Weather « from french fries to flax seeds - April 4, 2010

[…] clean up, then mom and I got to work making some dessert for tomorrow. Nothing like my usual holiday masterpieces, but this is going to be a more low key Easter dinner. We aren’t even going to use […]

2. Two Foodies Walk Into A Kitchen… « from french fries to flax seeds - July 18, 2010

[…] next time we bake, we’re making a cake, because Jill says I make fancy cakes. What can I say, I’m a baker at […]