Wonky Week

Hello wonderful readers 🙂 I hope everyone has started off their week right. Mine school week is going to be a bit off – today I’m staying late to meet with some people, tomorrow I only have a midterm from 2 – 4 pm, Wednesday is a holiday, then Thursday/Friday should be pretty normal.

Alas, I still had to wake up before the sun, so I went for the usual quick breakfast – cereal.

fffs_lp 456

This was a pretty great combo of flavours.

• Kashi Honey Almond Flax
  • Kashi Cinnamon Harvest
  • Peanut Butter Puffins
  • dried raspberries
  • shaved coconut

fffs_lp 459

I like how the shredded wheat pieces fall apart in the milk, making the bowl of cereal seem thicker. Plus they give the milk a delicious cinnamon flavour

fffs_lp 457

I also had a glass of that Oasis juice – Black Currant & Elderberry. You’ll be seeing it for awhile!

fffs_lp 455

I was out the door a little late today, but transit was working in my favour. The train was there right when I got to the station, and the bus was sitting waiting for me to get on once I was off the train. I made into class only a couple minutes late, which is perfect, because our professor spends the first 5 min recapping what we covered last class.

I had my usual volunteer shift at Sprouts after class, and I scored a couple of tasty treats. You’ll just have to come back later to see them 😉

Then instead of heading home, I found a place to eat my packed lunch.

fffs_lp 465

My cousin’s wife made soup yesterday, and brought some over. Obviously, I had to try it out for lunch. You can’t pass up on homemade soup! It was a modified version of Avgolemono soup.

fffs_lp 466

So it doesn’t really photograph well, but it was tasty! Instead of chicken, she used leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, and used whole wheat alphabet pasta instead of rice.

fffs_lp 467

I’d never had avgolemono soup before, but had always wanted to try it. I loved the turkey in this. Unfortunately, most of the pasta fell apart in the soup, but it made it thick and creamy. I think the rice would have been a better choice, but it’s not the end of the world. I’ll have to try making it one day myself 🙂

To go with the soup I had some cucumber and snap peas.

fffs_lp 463

With some Sabra Roasted Pine Nut hummus for dipping.

fffs_lp 464

I guess I should get some midterm studying in while I wait to meet up with my group. We are working on our education programs for Nutrikids. At least it’s a fun project!

Question of the moment: It seems I’m the only blogger out there who has a morning glass of juice. Do you drink juice? Why or why not? I feel juice gets a bad rap in the healthy eating world!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Lunch, sprouts

8 Comments on “Wonky Week”

1. November 9, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

You enjoy that MPP and don’t DARE stop drinking it. Or else 😉

2. November 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm #

I’ve never been a big juice drinker. Even living with parents who drank juice for the 18 years I lived at home, I maybe went through a morning juice for a drink phase for a year. I think a lot of healthy eaters are all about the “don’t drink your calories” but juice ain’t that bad, so if you like it keep drinking it!

(Though if it’s orange juice, don’t tell my mom, she’ll bite your head off becaues store bought orance juice is all lies! lol. She read some book called Squeezed, and is now anti-orange juice, unless tis fresh squeezed. Which she and my dad now do. STill I don’t drink it. 😛 )

3. November 9, 2009 at 1:51 pm #

I love juice – but I don’t like to drink calories. I love pulpy 0j – but 8 oz of it is 120 calories, while an orange is half that. So, I like to get the most of my calories! 🙂

4. November 9, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

i have never had avgolemono either, though it is super fun to try and say. i’ll have to give it a go sometime. there are very few soups that i don’t love.

i sometimes drink juice, but only rarely. i don’t buy it because it’s expensive and i’d rather eat the fruit whole (more satisfying, fibreful, etc). but if juice is there, and it is good juice (love pulp), i will definitely drink it!

5. marie
    November 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm #

I’m just not that into juice. I’m more of a morning coffee person.

6. BroccoliHut
    November 9, 2009 at 9:02 pm #

You make me crave PB Puffins!
    I don’t drink juice–I’d rather eat fruit.

7. Hannah
    November 10, 2009 at 3:41 am #

I don’t drink juice and I TOTALLY miss it. Since Happy Planet juices seems to be a favorite of yours, I decided to look them up and see what they were about. I can safely say that brand has some of the best nutritional stats I’ve seen in a juice and unfortunately, I have nothing that even compares to that where I live. All the juice we have here are either like 190 calories for 8oz due to the massive amount of sugar in them or – on the flip side – the juice is made with splenda and taste weird. I’d drink it if I could find something nutritionally decent.

8. November 10, 2009 at 7:34 am #

I’m not a big drinker of anything, but my hubby has a glass of OJ with his brealfast every morning. Sometimes my kids will, too.