From One Extreme To Another

Not only was today the LAST DAY OF CLASSES (woo!), but I went from being a charity case to having a job offer in the span of 2 hours. Crazy I tell ya!

But how did my day begin? Why with an early wake up and breakfast of course!

fffs_lp 1081

I went the simple route, and toasted up some whole wheat bread, then topped it with the classic peanut butter + banana + honey combination.

fffs_lp 1080

A glass of Happy Planet Tropical Tango to accompany, of course.

fffs_lp 1082

Another breakfast, ready in less than 5 minutes. I didn’t want to be late for my last biochem lecture of the year.

fffs_lp 1079

Transit was uneventful, biochem was as interesting as it could be, and then I was back on the bus to head home. Of course, it was still freezing out there (and will be all weekend), so I was chilled by the time I made my way in the door. So what did I do? Get back in my pj’s and hop into bed for a nice nap under the blankets with my kitty.

I woke up to a still freezing house, so I set out making something warm for lunch.

fffs_lp 1090

Tuna melt! Tuna mixed with mayo and dill pickles, on a toasted english muffin, and put under the broiler with some shredded cheddar cheese.

fffs_lp 1087

I heated up some applesauce with cinnamon and craisins, then topped it with a little granola for a tasty, warm side dish.

fffs_lp 1088

Posing with the parsley we brought inside so it wouldn’t freeze.

fffs_lp 1084

I cleaned up, then made myself presentable so I could drop off a resume at the new Kin’s Farm Market that’s opening up this month. Mom had so kindly cut the add out of the paper for me – she obviously wants me employed as well. But before I went, my dad told me to take all of the empty bottles and cans, and to keep the money from them. Yes, that’s how broke I am – I get the bottle return money as an allowance. HA!

I found my way down to the store, and filled out an application (outside, in the cold!). Once I gave that and my resume to the guy, he looked through it, and asked me some questions – specifically about what sort of wage I expected working here. See, they ask you to fill in what you made at your previous jobs, and well, my last job was one of those salaried, career deals, so I guess that scared him, thinking I was going to ask for some huge amount of money. I explained to him that no, I’m looking for a part time job because I’ve gone back to school, and I understand that isn’t going to pay what I was earning before. So he went inside, got the store manager, and brought out some more forms for me to fill out – so I think I was basically hired on the spot. They want me to memorize some produce codes before I start training though, which I told them wouldn’t really be possible until after my exams (I need all that brain space for biochem). So I think I’m going back down there after my exams to start. The pay is crap, but it’s more than the $0/hour I’m currently raking in.

Alas, I didn’t get my bottle money, because by the time I left the market and had to wait in rush hour traffic for a train to pass, they were closed. BOOOO. So I just went home to share my news.

We celebrated with mom’s classic homemade mac & cheese. This time with whole wheat noodles (finally!).

fffs_lp 1094

She even made homemade baking powder biscuits. Carbs require more carbs, obviously.

fffs_lp 1092

Plus a little steamed broccoli to balance out the plate.

fffs_lp 1091

Since I napped during the day, I spent the rest of the evening working on my journal assignment due on Monday. I think I have all my notes down, so I can just sit down and write sometime this weekend – not quite sure when that will be though, as I have quite a few things on my plate.

My sister bought some fancy caramel corn today, so I had a little snack bowl.

fffs_lp 1096

Along with some Stash Mangosteen Green Tea – I found this one in a sampler pack my mom had.

fffs_lp 1095

Me likey this tea! I’ll have to keep my eye out for it, I can’t say I’ve ever seen it in the store.

As much as I would love to stay up late, since I’m done with early mornings, I know it will just cause me to sleep in way later than I want to. And I have my Olympic Volunteer Training tomorrow morning, followed by a surprise birthday party for a friend out at the Boathouse Restaurant (check out the menu – help me pick something delicious to eat). I’d like to fit in some gym time and homework in there somewhere, but we’ll see how it goes.

Off to get my beauty sleep. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Snack

16 Comments on “From One Extreme To Another”

1. December 5, 2009 at 4:18 am #

Last day of classes = DEFINITELY a reason to have MPP 😀

2. lessonstolearn
    December 5, 2009 at 5:47 am #

Congrats on the job! And on the last day of classes! I still have a couple more weeks….very jealous! 🙂

3. December 5, 2009 at 6:20 am #

Yesterday was my last day of classes too! woo hoo!

Congrats on the job that’s exciting!!

4. December 5, 2009 at 6:51 am #

wow congratulations!

just found ur site and i love the snow effect 😀 its so pretty!

how do ur pictures come out so gorgeousss! your food looks amazing its makin my mouth water 😀

5. December 5, 2009 at 6:55 am #

Congrats on the job, I bet you are super pumped since you have been looking lately.

Good luck on your exams.

6. December 5, 2009 at 7:57 am #

Woohooo for a job!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

Is this a Christmas thing or PT on a regular basis thing!?!?!??!?!

And Congrats on finishing your first semester back!!!!!!!!

7. Lizzy
    December 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Congrats on the job! 🙂 so happy for you!

8. December 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

OOhhh…working at a market will definitely have its perks! Congrats!!!

Everytime you make tuna it makes me crave some, too. YUM!

9. December 6, 2009 at 1:02 am #

Congratulations!
    Good luck with the biochem, I’m sure you’ll do great.
    I can’t wait for my last day of classes…
    2 more weeks 🙂

10. December 6, 2009 at 6:12 am #

Congrats on being finished, for now! I remember being in school and Christmas break was always my FAVORITE! I always felt like by December I really needed a break, bad!

Your food in this post is making my mouth water. The mac and cheese, the tuna melt, and the pb and banana toast, all so tasty!! I haven’t had homemade mac and cheese in so long,a ndI love that it was made with whole wheat noodles!

11. December 6, 2009 at 1:52 pm #

YAY FOR LAST DAY OF CLASSES!! i just got done on friday..my first exam is 8am tommo..ahh!

that mac and cheese..gah i LOVE mac and cheese…and i just had tuna yesterday too!

12. December 6, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

Every time you post that Mac ‘n Cheese I want to ask your mom to adopt me, and PB and banana is my favorite, so I’m pretty much jealous. Plus, great job find! I would love to work in a market like that part-time, as at least you get to interact with people and be around food 🙂 Congrats!

And I’m 28, with a “real” job, and my mom still saves all her empties for me to take back. Every little bit helps!

13. December 6, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

That is awesome about the job. Congrats! It was your lucky day 🙂

I am jealous you get to volunteer at the Olympics. It is something on my list of things to do someday.

Good Luck on Exams 🙂

14. December 8, 2009 at 11:29 am #

the surf and turf sliders sound good!

15. December 8, 2009 at 12:30 pm #

Wow! Congrats on the job! I one time filled out an online application. Five minutes later, my phone rang and they wanted to know if I could interview THAT DAY! I said I wasn’t dressed appropriately for an interview, but they didn’t care.

Quick cab ride, met the two attorneys I would work for, and by the time I got back to my desk, I had a job offer! You just never know! 😀

OMG, that restaurant looks amazing!! Two things that jumped out immediately?

The firecracker shrimp and the sweet chili chicken!

16. marie