Stuffed Squash Soup

My inspiration for this soup was a stuffed pumpkin my friend made for dinner on New Year’s Eve. All of the ingredients were things that I loved, and I had a hankering to make soup. I figured why not use the stuffed pumpkin as a starting point, and develop and hearty, seasonal soup from there?

Food 3 170

• 1/2 cup hulled barley
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 8 cups vegetable stock
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 tsp sage
  • 6 large kale leaves (~3 cups packed), torn into small pieces
  • sea sealt & fresh ground pepper to taste

Food 3 136

1. Heat large saucepan Dutch oven over medium high heat, add oil.

2. Sauté onion & garlic for 1 minute.

3. Add celery, and sauté another minute.

Food 3 141

4. Add mushrooms and butternut squash, and sauté until mushrooms start to sweat.

Food 3 142

5. Add wild rice, barley, chickpeas, vegetable stock, thyme, and sage. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 min.

Food 3 144

6. Add kale, and simmer covered for another 20 min, or until barley and wild rice are cooked.

7. Season with salt & pepper, and enjoy!

Food 3 174

*Note – the barley and wild rice will continue to absorb more stock as this sits, so you may need to add liquid when reheating leftovers if you want a more “brothy” soup.*

This really is one of those “stick to your ribs, warm the cockles of your heart” kind of soups – perfect for a rainy or snowy fall/winter day. Serve it up with some grainy bread or a nice salad, and you have an excellent meal. Plus, it’s a nutritional wonder with the squash, kale, mushrooms, barely – talk about vitamins, minerals and fibre! (side note – if anyone knows of a good recipe analysis tool, I would like to calculate some nutritional stats for the soup).

Let me know if you give it a try!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Recipe

14 Comments on “Stuffed Squash Soup”

1. January 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

This is what I use. Thanks for your blog:

2. January 11, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

This soup looks fabulous!! All my favorite ingredients!!

3. Carlyn
    January 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I use this one – http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp because you dont have to sign up for an account and it seems pretty accurate(:
    btw, that soups looks vurrrryy good

4. Mae
    January 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

I love mushrooms in soup… Scratch that, I love mushrooms in general and this looks like such a fantastic application!!
    I really want to try it! 😛

5. January 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

*Copies down the recipe*
    Cuz I am a sucker for pumpkin!! That and hockey… 😉

6. January 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

I am all about the stick to your ribs soup right now. I love the step by step directions. Butternut Squash is tasty in anything in my cookbook.

7. January 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

I just found this recipe analysis site:

That soup looks good!

8. January 12, 2010 at 5:25 am #

This recipe sounds delicios, Marianne! I like how you used wild rice AND barley. 2 fave’s of mine for sure.

9. January 12, 2010 at 11:17 am #

Bookmarked!

10. Kaitlin March
    January 17, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

mmm I just made this soup and its the best one I’ve made all year! I saw this post a while ago and thought I have most of the ingredients on hand so I whipped it up tonight. So good – thanks for the great recipe!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Soggy, With A Touch Of Sniffles « from french fries to flax seeds - January 11, 2010

[…] I’m sure you can guess what I had in that thermos. Stuffed Squash Soup of course (did you miss the recipe?) […]

2. Seeing Red « from french fries to flax seeds - January 13, 2010

[…] brought along more of my Stuffed Squash Soup (which has gotten rave reviews from my […]

3. The Heat Is ON! « from french fries to flax seeds - January 18, 2010

[…] Of course, I didn’t get to enjoy it until I ate my lunch – Stuffed Squash Soup. […]

4. Back To School – Brown Baggin’ It « from french fries to flax seeds - September 7, 2010

[…] big batches of soups (say, Grandpa’s Doukhobor Borscht or Stuffed Squash Soup?) and freeze them in individual portions (ziploc bags work […]