My Olympics Part 1a – The Pre-Game Show

I am finally able to sit down and put together a post about my Olympic adventures! It has only been a few days, but I’ve taken a ridiculous amount of pictures (that’s what you get when you carry two cameras with you), so it’s been hard to sort through them and decide what to share. I think I will try and upload them all to my Flickr site – I’ll let you know when I do 🙂 But for now, I’ll give you a taste of what I’ve been up to over the past 5 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, February 11th

After finishing up my last midterm before the Olympic break, I made my way to see some Olympic sites, even though the Games weren’t starting until the next day. It may have been a rainy, dreary day, but I didn’t let that get me down! First stop – City Hall.

IMG_1365

Then I took a free ride on the Bombardier Street Car that was brought in just for the Olympics. It’s running between the Olympic Village and Granville Island. There’s hope we’ll introduce street cars in Vancouver as an eco-friendly transit option.

IMG_1366

IMG_1456

Granville Island was my destination.

IMG_1369

Where I spotted the House Of Switzerland.

IMG_1375

IMG_1373

Then I made my way into the market.

IMG_1406

The market is a feast for the foodie eyes!

IMG_1384

IMG_1388

IMG_1399

Canadian pride was everywhere.

IMG_1397

I finally settled on something interesting for lunch.

IMG_1418

A French Onion Soup Pot Pie.

IMG_1411

IMG_1416

Then it was time to enjoy the company of some pigeons.

IMG_1422

While sipping on a coconut hot chocolate.

IMG_1423

And enjoying the view.

IMG_1380

Some more wandering around Granville Island, where I came upon some totem pole carving.

IMG_1432

And a series of portraits of famous Canadians.

IMG_1435

IMG_1442

Then it was time to head into downtown across the Cambie Street Bridge, to take in the views of False Creek.

IMG_1470

Specifically, the Olympic Village.

IMG_1469

IMG_1461

The police were patrolling the waterways.

IMG_1474

The Canadians have made their presence known in the Olympic Village.

IMG_1481

Picture taking and videotaping are popular pass times these days.

IMG_1483

I passed by BC Place Stadium – home of the Opening, Closing, and Victory Ceremonies (and alot of security screening).

IMG_1485

And then….well, you’ll have to come back for Part 1b of my Olympic Experience 😉

Tags:

Categories: Olympics

14 Comments on “My Olympics Part 1a – The Pre-Game Show”

1. February 17, 2010 at 2:24 am #

yayyyyyyyyy! so much fun!! i thoroughly enjoyed reading this, Marianne! Thank you!

2. February 17, 2010 at 3:44 am #

I loved looking at your pics. I was in Van last summer… I LOVE Granville Market!

3. February 17, 2010 at 5:29 am #

Love your photos! Looks like an amazing adventure!

4. February 17, 2010 at 5:43 am #

Wow, I cannot imagine having the Olympics anywhere near me! Glad you are able to enjoy it all–thanks for sharing!

5. February 17, 2010 at 7:19 am #

Looks like tons of fun! I was over just the other weekend when it was sunny and bright- such a fun place you live in right now!

6. February 17, 2010 at 7:22 am #

How cool that you are so close to the Olympics!

7. February 17, 2010 at 8:44 am #

There must be SO much to see right now in your nook of the woods. Thanks for sharing….

8. marie
    February 17, 2010 at 10:25 am #

Thanks for posting these! Ienjoyed looking at them.

9. February 17, 2010 at 11:20 am #

How AMAZING!!! That looks so cool! I have a question…you said you came across the house of switerzland…does every country have a “house” or a residence??

10. February 17, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

So cool! How was the coconut hot chocolate? It sounds kind of amazing…

11. February 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

Best post ever! How fun!! The Olympics are exciting to watch but to actually BE there must be amazing!

12. February 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

Oh man, I am going to be dreaming about that berry display–gorgeous!
    Can’t wait for the next installment of the Olympic Experience:)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Olympics Part 1b – The Pre-Game Show Continues « from french fries to flax seeds - February 18, 2010

[…] My Olympics Part 1b – The Pre-Game Show Continues 2010 February 18 tags: Olympics by Marianne Did you miss Part 1? That was silly – check it out here! […]

2. My Olympics Part 1c – The Pre-Game Show Wrap Up « from french fries to flax seeds - February 20, 2010

[…] took to many pictures. Have you seen the first two installments? Because you should check them out: Part 1a and Part […]