My Olympics Part 2 – The Calm Before The Storm

We’ve finally moved on from Part 1! I’m excited to bring you more about my Olympics experience – are you? Let’s get started.

Friday, February 12, 2010

I proclaimed this day my relaxation day, knowing that once the Olympics were in full gear, it was going to be go, go, go! Technically, I had classes still…but I may have made the decision to skip them. Shhh, don’t tell anyone!

I took the opportunity to sleep in until almost noon (glorious!), but woke up to the tragic news of the Georgian luger, Nadar Kumaritashvili, who had a fatal crash on a training run up at the Whistler Sliding Centre. Something you never want to hear at any Games, and especially not hours before the Opening Ceremonies.

Breakfast…well, lunch…was a bowl of oatmeal.

IMG_5515

Just your standard cocoa-banana-peanut butter oatmeal creation.

IMG_5514

With a glass of cranberry juice.

IMG_5512

It was great fuel for doing absolutely nothing all day. Well, that’s not true. I took stock of the Olympic swag (some purchased, some free) I accumulated the day before.

IMG_1586

Then we decided to display our Canadian pride.

IMG_1582

We eventually got set up in front of the TV to watch the ceremonies and enjoy some good ol’ White Spot for dinner.

IMG_5523

My favourite bacon cheddar burger, fries, and coleslaw. I even went all out and ordered a vanilla milkshake (only because both my parents did as well – I’m such a follower).

It was a completely chill evening – take out for dinner, hours of Opening Ceremony watching, hanging with the family. Just what a I needed to get ready for the week to come.

Come back later, as I will continue to share my Olympics experiences. Trust me – you’ve only had a taste of the fun so far!

Tags:

Categories: Olympics

9 Comments on “My Olympics Part 2 – The Calm Before The Storm”

1. February 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

That was horrible about the death of that athlete – and they kept on showing it over and over when it happened, I am so glad they finally quit showing it!

Vanilla milkshakes are my favorite – so much better than chocolate!

2. Yuki
    February 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

Your oatmeal looks deliciousss!

3. February 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

love that scoop of pb on there… why are people so scared of it?? keeps you going for so much longer than like… celery

4. Amy
    February 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

That CANUCK t-shirt makes me envious ;P Hope to find something like it here in Toronto.

Nothing quite like skipping class in the name of Olympic spirit, huh =)

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Looking forward to the rest of it!

5. February 22, 2010 at 6:43 am #

Love. That. T-shirt!

6. February 22, 2010 at 6:47 am #

That is such a cute shirt! I’d totally skip class as well – the Olympics are a once in a lifetime kind of thing!

7. February 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Those oats look like the absolute perfect texture–yum! Can’t wait to hear more about your Olympic experience.

8. February 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

oooohhhhh…I hate you a little bit for showing White Spot. I only get to have it twice a year when I visit home now. BC burgers are my fave too!!

After seeing that shirt in one of your photos of the manequins the other day I actually found it at The Bay here. It’s a little boys t-shirt but it fits!

9. February 23, 2010 at 5:39 am #

So tragic about that athlete, especially during training. Sorry you woke up to such news 😦