My Olympics Part 6 – On The Job

Thanks everyone, for bearing with me as I get through all these Olympic posts. As I’m sure you can understand, I was busy, busy, busy with all that was going on. And I have so many pictures, it takes awhile to go through them all to get these recaps up. But no fear – we’ll be back to regular posting soon 🙂 In the mean time, enjoy My Olympics!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Alas, my days of playing tourist in my own city were over for awhile, as I was starting a 5 day volunteer stint. Fortunately, all my shifts started at 9 am, so I didn’t have to get up insanely early like I do for my 8 am classes.

I fuelled up with a bowl of Kashi GoLean Crunch topped with craisins, coconut, and almonds, and a glass of cranberry juice.


I suited up in my blue gear, and hitched a ride to the train with my sister. I went through check it, chose my random number that would eventually decide my fate for the day. And guess what – I scored an inside job! WOO!


I was on the upper concourse, working as an usher in section 301 – right at the end of the ice.


I took the obligatory “self photo – I was here” shot. I swear, I’m not always grumpy, I just look that way in pictures.


I had a great view of everything in the arena. Like the media area.


And CTV’s broadcast location.


Just in case you weren’t sure what was going on at Canada Hockey Place, the signs on the jumbotron helped clear that up.


The morning game – the first of the men’s tournament – featured USA vs Switzerland. I got to watch their pre-game warm up before my lunch break.


I hit up the break room as soon as the first period started (we have to take breaks while the game is on) to enjoy my first volunteer lunch.


Lunch = soup and sandwich. Everyday. There is always at least one vegetarian soup, and one vegetarian sandwich option. This day I had a bowl of vegetable beef soup and the roast beef & cheddar sandwich. I always just picked whatever looked the best. Also pictured is the standard roll, cookie, and granola bar. The soup, sandwich, and roll were for lunch, and I saved the cookie & granola bar for later. The sandwich wasn’t anything spectacular, but the soup was good. At least I wasn’t going to go hungry.

I was able to catch some of the game live once I was back at my post.


Good sized crowd in there.


Once the game was over (USA won), we had to get those spectators out of the arena ASAP! You see, during the beginning of the tournament, we were running 3 games per day – first game at 12:00, second game at 16:30, third game at 21:00. This allows approximately 2.5 hours per game, with 2 hours to get the spectators out, clean & restock the arena, and get the new spectators in. Obviously, there’s no time to dawdle. We generally were able to get the people out in 20 min or so. Then we had some down time until the spectators for the next game were allowed to enter the building. Fortunately, CTV’s hockey panel was setting up the next game – Canada vs. Norway – so I was able to watch that from above.


You better believe that almost everyone was in their seats, even for the pre-game warm up. It was Canada’s first game after all!


And as luck would have it, the Canadian goal was at my end of the ice, with my boy Luongo in net. Luuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!


Soon enough it was game time!


Can you see all the Canadian flags out in that sea of red?


Time to head back to the benches and set up for the puck drop.



Which I was lucky enough to get to see.


Alas, that was all of the game I got to watch live. Our shift change happens between 4 – 5 pm, right when the second game starts. I would have loved to stay and watch it live, but there’s no where for us to that once we’re off shift, so I just headed on home in hopes of seeing the last period on tv – and I made it in time!

I was also looking for some dinner. Good thing my sister had made a stirfry the night before, and there were leftovers.


It was a mix of veggies, beans, and noodles in a very light sauce. I added some extra oyster sauce and sesame seeds to kick it up a bit. Quatchi wanted in on the photo shoot as well.


I capped off my night with the last chocolate covered strawberry.


I did stay up and watch the late game as well as other Olympic highlights from the day, but had to get into bed shortly there after so I could get up and do the volunteer thing all over again the next day! The life of an Olympic volunteer…only just beginning.



Categories: Olympics


Stay updated via RSS, Twitter, and Facebook!

5 Comments on “My Olympics Part 6 – On The Job”

  1. March 5, 2010 at 7:16 am #

    It must be pretty bittersweet to be done with the Olympics. On the one hand, more time. On the other… well, the Olympics are over 😦

    Your experience sounds like it was amazing, though. And it was nice to see a different kind of post (not that I don’t like the regular kind–I’m actually looking forward to reading about your food again, haha).

  2. March 5, 2010 at 7:39 am #

    SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! You got to see hockey?! YAY! I was wondering through most of the games if you were there or not. Even looked for ya! What fun…and the perfect venue for you to be at! 🙂

  3. Jen
    March 5, 2010 at 8:31 am #

    Awesome! And from a local…. Larabars and Elevate Me are on sale at London Drugs this week for a decent price

  4. March 5, 2010 at 9:08 am #

    what i coincidence… i sat in section 301 for the womans gold medal game.

  5. March 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

    I love that you were able to volunteer at the hockey games since I know you’re such a fan! Sounds like hard work but also lots of fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: