Something Savoury

I’ve always been curious about the whole savoury oatmeal craze. In theory, I could see how it would work – oats are just a grain, so why not turn them into a savoury dish? Yet at the same time, my brain just felt it was so wrong. How could I give up my sweet morning oats when they are just so darn good? I had seen many variations on savoury oats, but none of them compelled me to try them.

Until I saw Angela from Oh She Glows whip up some cheezy savoury oat goodness.

Yes, cheezy – because they involve using nutritional yeast to give a cheese-like flavour. Just so happens I have some nutritional yeast, and never really know what to do with it. Now I had the perfect solution! I just had to wait for a night when I was on my own to create dinner.

IMG_6061

Of course, I did have to put my own spin on things. I mixed up the seasonings, and simplified the toppings, and added some corn to the mix. And they weren’t vegan, since we only had regular milk.

IMG_6056

My seasonings of choice were garlic, dill, parsley, and black pepper, to go along with the vegetable bouillon and turmeric in the recipe. Topped only with some ripe avocado.

IMG_6060

These definitely give you a creamy, decadent bowl of oats. It’s reminiscent of risotto really. Even with the 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast in Angela’s recipe, I didn’t quite find the “cheeze” flavour strong enough for me – I think I’d up the nooch next time. And there will be a next time.

IMG_6055

I would like to give cheezy broccoli oats a try sometime – I bet it would be a great combination. Or even go a more traditional risotto (risottoats?) route with mushrooms. Mmmm. But I’m glad I tried out some savoury oats. Not only do I have a great use for nutritional yeast, but I have another quick, filling dinner option at my fingertips! Go out there and make your own 😀

IMG_6054

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Dinner

6 Comments on “Something Savoury”

1. March 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

I looooove savory oats! I’ve only had mine with a veggie burger and hot sauce but this version sounds delish!

2. March 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

I was afraid to try savory oats too…but once I did, I developed a slight addiction to them! Broccoli-cheese is one of my favorite combos too.

3. March 20, 2010 at 8:44 am #

I’ve been wondering about these savory oats things as well. hmmm. Maybe I’ll have to give it a try. I do need some nutritional yeast, then I’ll have it for popcorn too. 🙂

4. March 20, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

I would agree that savoury oats are really good. I don’t know why I don’t make them more often…

5. March 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

Savoury oats are da bomb. As a matter of fact, I had them for dinner tonight! As an even cooler matter of fact, I specifically had the nooched up oats as well! I added a BIG heaping spoonful of the cheesy good stuff and topped it with hummus and salsa. Seriously savoury oats rule. I always do them at dinner though, morning has got to be oats and sweet!

6. March 21, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

I have never thought of a cheesey type oats for dinner. But this looks delish! I want to try that now=)