My Olympics Part 15 – Making Friends

I’m back with the 2nd to last instalment of my Olympic recap series. I hope you are continuing to enjoy them 🙂

Friday, February 26, 2010

Another volunteer day at Canada Hockey Place. This day was important though – it was semi-finals day for the men! The early game featured USA vs Finland, while the evening game was Canada vs Slovakia. Per usual, I was at the rink for the early game. Alas, I was stuck outside…in the pouring rain. And all of my Olympics adventures, coupled with lack of sleep, were starting to catch up with me. I was downing throat lozenges like they were going out of style, just so I could continue to greet all our guests to the rink.

The plan after volunteering was to meet up with my friend after my shift, stake out a place to sit down and watch the Canada semi-final game. But I was feeling like garbage, plus my change of clothes had gotten wet since I was outside all day (there’s no where to check our things, so you have to wear your backpack all day). I figured it was in my best interest to instead make my way home and watch the semi-final from the comfort of my own house.

I had spent a good part of the day texting with a fellow blogger – Karen from To Be The Whole Package – as she was at the USA vs Finland game. We had hoped to meet up there, but since I was out in the elements, it just didn’t happen. I did manage to track her down though in the line up to the LiveCity Downtown celebration site though 🙂


We chatted for a short while, but I was on a mission to make the express train back home, so I had to run.

I made another quick stop to pick up something to eat on the way home – I just couldn’t eat the soup and sandwich lunch they served at the rink. So instead, I had sushi.


I made my way home, changed into my pajamas, and settled in for the evening. Dinner was Chinese take-out. The typical Friday night standard.


Which was a great accompaniment to the hockey game – which we narrowly won! We were on our way to the gold medal game on Sunday, which I was working at. Yes!

I celebrated with this Snickers chocolate bar I had been given at the rink.


It even has the Hockey Canada logo on it.

I’d love to say I was early to bed, but I had to wait for my friend to get back from downtown, as I had to pick him up from the train. Finally though, it was sleep time.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

I had another day off from volunteering, so the plans were to head back downtown so my visiting friend to get in some more Olympic fun before he went home that evening. I also made plans to spend part of the day with Karen and her fiancé. They were staying out near me, so they picked us up, and we eventually made our way into the city.

We decided to head on over to Granville Island, which meant we got to take the street car again!


We first decided to try out chances at getting into the House of Switzerland, to enjoy a little Swiss cuisine. The line up was long, but we hoped we’d get in. They brought us some Lindt chocolate and tasty crackers to enjoy while we waited.


Alas, the line up wasn’t moving quick enough for our grumbling bellies, so we gave up and headed on over to the Public Market. I did manage to get a snapshot of the Lindt Chocolate inukshuk before leaving though.


We all separated and found what we wanted to eat, and managed to score a table in the busy food court area with little hassle. I went with a falafel pita, topped with tahini sauce. Delicious.


We did a little more wandering around Granville Island, then made our way back on the street car, where we stopped for a photo op before parting ways for the day.


Seriously, how tired do I look? That’s what 2 weeks of Olympic fun will do to ya 😉

It was great meeting up with Karen, even if our time together was short. I’m sure we’ll find some more opportunities to hang out and be true food bloggers again 😀

My friend and I headed back to the ‘burbs, where we had a short amount of time before we had to leave again so I could drive him out to the ferry. When I got home, the rest of my family was still out, so I reheated a little leftover Chinese for dinner.


Then I took my tired, under-the-weather self to bed, because the next day was going to be a big one – Gold Medal Game baby!!!

We’re almost there – one more Olympic adventures recap to go. Be sure to come back so you don’t miss out!


Categories: Olympics


Stay updated via RSS, Twitter, and Facebook!

2 Comments on “My Olympics Part 15 – Making Friends”

  1. March 21, 2010 at 7:04 am #

    Hey look it’s me!

    But WOAH do we look HORRIBLE in that first picture! Ahahahah – we’ll have to take really pretty glamour shots to make up for it next time! 😛 You sick and me well just exhausted! I remember feeling like I was hungover or something!!

    It was super fun meeting up! 🙂 I’ll be back that way soon(ish). There’s still talk of sending me to Nanaimo this summer so I’ll be sure to stop by. If not I always seem to find my way back anywayz! lol

    And well you know you’re more than welcome in my Rocky Mountain casa!

  2. March 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

    Haha, love the motivational Snickers!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: