3 Year Plan

Today started off not so great, with a container of moldy Greek yogurt (not even past its best before date!), but ended on high, due to this little email.

IMG_7726

IMG_7727

I received my offer of admission into the Dietetics program at UBC! I cannot begin to express how excited I was when I got the email. I may have even shed a tear or two. I had been trying to not get my hopes up too high, knowing how many people apply to the program, and how many have to apply more than once to get in. I knew I had as good a chance as anyone else applying, but you just never know. But today I found out that I made the right decision when I quit my job, moved back home, and made the leap back into school to pursue a career I was truly passionate about. My next 3 years were planned for me just like that, and I couldn’t be happier. Unless I’d also gotten a pony. And cute man servant. But I digress 😉

Rewind back to the moldy yogurt discovery (which I did not photograph). I had my heart set on some yogurty goodness, but had to go to plan B – cereal.

IMG_7706

I guess I didn’t have to go to cereal, but when I can’t have what I want, I get lazy. That’s where a nice bowl of Nature’s Path Pumpkin Raisin Crunch topped with almond milk comes in handy.

IMG_7704

With a cheery glass of cranberry juice.

IMG_7707

Notice the branch lying on the deck from the storm yesterday, and the fact that it’s bright and sunny out. Looks can be deceiving.

IMG_7708

After enjoying my non-moldy breakfast, I checked out the flyer for Choices Market, and lo and behold – Greek yogurt was on sale. Perfect timing! I got in my car, and made the trip to stock up. By the time I got home, the sunshine had been replaced with torrential downpour, only to be replaced again with sunshine. Then hail. Then rain. And then some more sun. It’s hard to keep up.

I had a lunch appetizer of Barbara’s Bakery Jalapeno Cheese Puffs, while I waiting for my oven to do its thing.

IMG_7710

What was in the oven, you ask? A little sweet potato action.

IMG_7712

Specifically, sweet potato rounds, roasting away in coconut oil, sea salt, and cracked black pepper. Ketchup on the side for dipping, of course.

IMG_7714

With a tuna wrap – whole wheat tortilla, tuna, mayo, dill pickle. It doesn’t look all that pretty, but it tastes good.

IMG_7713

The sun came back out between rain showers just so I could get in some food photography. Notice the now wet deck in the background.

IMG_7711

I had planned out a great BBQ dinner for the family, but once I received my oh so important email, I was able to convince my parents that we should go out for dinner. Actually, mom thought we should wait until Friday, until I reminded her that I was working. So off to dinner we went to the Cactus Club. No pictures, but I had the Halibut Soft Tacos – seared cajun halibut, chipotle aioli, shredded green cabbage, salsa fresca, guacamole. It was the perfect light celebration dinner. Why I don’t make my own fish tacos is beyond me – they really are quite tasty.

After dinner, my mom and I went for a walk down at Rocky Point, since the rain was still holding off. It was a bit chilly, but a nice evening. We even saw some wee little baby Mallard ducks. They wouldn’t swim close enough for me to get a good photo though.

Back at the house, we enjoyed some CSI, and a little dessert.

IMG_7722

I bet you thought I was having another bowl of strawberry rhubarb crumble, didn’t you? I had ice cream instead. Coconut Bliss Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge ice cream to be exact, with a drizzle of hazelnut butter and sprinkle of hemp seeds for good measure.

IMG_7725

Oh yeah, check out that h-nut butter. Love it.

Now my friends, I must go to bed. I have a 9 hour work day tomorrow (gross, I know) that starts at 10 am. For me, that’s early. Off to get some shut eye. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Snack

11 Comments on “3 Year Plan”

1. May 21, 2010 at 4:09 am #

Congratulations! Your hard work really paid off!

2. May 21, 2010 at 4:44 am #

WAY TO GO! CONGRATULATIONS LOVE seriously its such a rewarding feeling, and i bet a great sense of everything fallling into place. What a great program to get accepted into too. UBC is notorious for their nutrition studies. seriously amazing girl!

3. May 21, 2010 at 5:24 am #

Congratulations! That is fantastic news! Good for you for knowing your goal and working towards it. You should be proud and get in plenty of celebrating! 🙂

4. May 21, 2010 at 8:49 am #

WOOOOOOO! Congrats. 😀 😀

Me too!

5. Yuki
    May 21, 2010 at 9:43 am #

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you!!!

PS. I once got a moldy container of Greet yogurt as well… and it wasn’t expired yet either…grrr

6. May 21, 2010 at 11:53 am #

Congrats Marianne, I am so happy for you! I know how awesome and relieving that feels. BOTH of my Liberte yogurts from the Wellness fair went moldy – both with only opening it and taking out a scoop the day before! I may have to send Liberte an email.

7. May 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Huge congratulations to you!!

8. May 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

Oh, Marianne!!! CONGRATS! I know how much you’ve wanted this and am pretty stoked for you. Isn’t it great when everything falls into place??? 🙂

BC has sure seen some crazy weather this month. Holy smokes!

9. highonhealthy
    May 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Congrats on getting into the dietetics program!!! That is such a huge accomplishment and I know you’ll do wonderful. 🙂

The weather is crazy over in my part of BC too. It’s ridiculous. Today started out warmish and sunny, then rained liked crazy for a few hours, and then it became sunny and hot again.

10. Jill
    May 22, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Congrats on getting into the dietetics program!

Was your moldy yogurt from the Wellness show? I had to dump out both of the ones I bought. I suspect between them transporting them to and from their business to the show and then me transporting around the show and home, they weren’t kept constantly refrigerated or chilled enough. Pretty disappointing but can’t be too upset over $2.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Evolution Of A Food Blogger « french fries to flax seeds - October 5, 2010

[…] May 21, 2010 – I’m accepted to the UBC Dietetics Program! […]