Forever Standing

Can I just say, that standing on concrete for 8.5 hours a day, 3 days in a row, is very tiring? My low back and knees are not overly impressed with it. I guess it’s a good thing I’m going into Dietetics – I definitely couldn’t cut it in a career as a full time grocery store cashier!

Today was day 3 of my long working weekend, and I had to actually get out of bed early on a Sunday morning. I generally loathe mornings to begin with, but on a Sunday? Evil! So I made sure to create a delicious breakfast to make up for it.

IMG_7774

Last week we had mangos on sale by the case, so I picked one up. I figured it was about time to start eating these tasty tropical treats.

IMG_7772

I started with a base of Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and maple syrup, then topped it with half of a mango, chopped, and some crunchy granola.

IMG_7773

It makes for such a pretty breakfast.

IMG_7771

Especially with a glass of black current elderberry juice.

IMG_7775

If only the sun had come out to play. Typical for the May long weekend though.

IMG_7776

Since I had another full day at work, I needed to pack a good lunch to see me through.

IMG_7777

Mom picked up some fresh sourdough, which I just had to dive into. A sandwich was born, with turkey, ham, pickles, lettuce, dijon, and Little Qualicum Cheeseworks Herbie Fromage Frais cheese. It makes the best sandwich spread.

IMG_7780

Gala apples are easy to throw into a packed lunch to get some fresh fruit action.

IMG_7781

Plus some almonds and dried cranberries for snacking on.

IMG_7778

For some reason, I really like to have three components to my lunch. It just seems complete that way.

IMG_7782

Work wasn’t too busy. I had some older gentleman who I’m pretty sure was hitting on me, which is always entertaining. I may have also decide that the above apple wasn’t going to cut it today, and purchased a double chocolate chunk muffin from our bakery. I wish our bakery didn’t have so many amazing delights – it would be much easier to avoid them!

When I walked in the door, mom had a great pork roast dinner ready and waiting.

IMG_7788

I had a couple slices of the roast, topped with a bit of gravy. It was very flavourful and tender. Thumbs up mom!

IMG_7787

The rest of the plate was filled with a variety of vegetables – roasted carrots, potatoes, onion, and steamed broccoli and green beans. And yes, I ate a whole onion. They are so good when they are cooked with the roast, because they loose their bite and get sweet. Yum!

IMG_7783

Dinner was filling, but one of those comforting, classic Sunday night dinners that I have always enjoyed. One of the best parts of living back at home if you ask me.

I took some time to soak my sore legs and back in the hot tub this evening, and basically vegged the rest of the night. I would have liked to maybe get to the gym or go for a walk, but my body wasn’t having it. Tomorrow will be day 4 at work, but at least it’s a shorter shift. Plus it’s time and a half because it’s the holiday, so I’m all over that! Alas, my shift is early again, so I must find my way to dreamland tout de suite. Look at me, busting out my français again. Night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch

8 Comments on “Forever Standing”

1. Yuki
    May 23, 2010 at 11:48 pm #

Why do your meals always have to look so amazing?
    🙂

2. May 24, 2010 at 9:02 am #

what aa healthy life you have… but a bit weird for us, Indonesian people. We have a variety of mangoes, but nobody used it for breakfast

3. May 24, 2010 at 9:34 am #

uve gotta try miso gravy! have u had it.. its so delicious.. works so good on chicken or steak..mmmm YUM

i loved that brekkie bowl.. it reminds me of sunshine huh! so gorgeous. have a beautiful day!!! ❤

4. highonhealthy
    May 24, 2010 at 10:12 am #

When I saw your dinner I kept staring at the onion and wondering if I was seeing things. A whole onion? Then again, I know what you mean about them getting sweet so I would probably be all over that too.

I currently work at a gas station as one of my jobs and I kind of think I would prefer a grocery store. Both require lots of standing but I’m thinking that a grocery store would be more interesting.. maybe.

5. May 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

Roasted onions rule in the roasted veg department! They’re all caramelly and sweet. Mmmm…

6. May 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

I LOVE mango. I LOVE greek yogurt. I have both of these in my fridge. I kind of wish I weren’t full from dinner so that I could combine and inhale them right now.

7. May 24, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

ive seen whole roasted onions before but never done it or eaten one myself. i’m gonna have to try that next time i make a roast.

8. Ara
    May 28, 2010 at 7:33 am #

That’s sooooo yummmyyy and healthy packed lunch! I’m drooling now…oh well, that’s really fun, seeing your blog is very enjoyable. hmmm…and I love your photos it can show exactly how delicious it is. For your packed lunch, you might want to try this idea, why not use a stainless steel container for stacking your foods? I assure you, you’ll be in love with it because the design and style are very unique. Plus, it has the qualities that other containers doesn’t have such as it is 100% BPA free, safer than plastic bags/plastic wares, it is also made of high quality stainless steel, has easy re-pack and stack, and doesn’t hold any odors as well as stains. Try it, it is also eco-friendly. =D