A Visit To My “Other” Home

When I was living in Victoria, I often thought how I wanted to move back to Metro Vancouver, as it always felt like home. When I came back this past summer, I was glad to be back, to reconnect with friends and family, and rediscover all my old favourites around the city. This past weekend I made the trek back to Victoria for a visit, and I realized that it too now feels like home. Strolling through the city, visiting my favourite spots, and seeing friends made me miss the place I left behind. Who knows – perhaps I’ll end up back there sooner or later?

Now I shall bring you a taste of my weekend, as it was filled with good friends, good food, and good times. This will be picture heavy, and (hopefully) light on words.

It started on the ferry, with my standard ferry meal – White Spot BC burger and fries.

IMG_7965

IMG_7967

IMG_7966

There was an impromptu concert in the forward lounge, where Headwater (a local roots/folk band) were jamming for the very appreciative passengers.

IMG_7968

I eventually found my way to my friend’s place, where I snacked on chips.

IMG_7993

And beautified my eyelids.

IMG_7988

Soon I was off to my friend Heather’s bachelorette party. We started with a vegan potluck. I brought cake. Moist, sweet, amaretto-soaked cake.

IMG_7978

The bride-to-be was ready to party.

IMG_7995

Some alcoholic beverages may have been consumed. I discovered the wonders of bottle cap shots. Silly games were played that involved veggie dogs on strings. Then we were off to the club for dancing and debauchery. And perhaps a few more shots.

IMG_8023

Sleep soon ensued. When I arose Saturday morning, I dug into my travel food stash.

IMG_7983

Only one item was lucky enough to be consumed.

IMG_8032

IMG_8033

Window shopping at some of my old favourite stores was followed by Caesars. Spicy!

IMG_8035

And more crunchy chips. I like chips.

IMG_8037

BBQ’d burger for dinner. It was a weekend of repeats.

IMG_8038

I did manage to get in some salad, as it was all I was craving after our indulgent night out.

IMG_8041

The evening was filled with drumming and singing in the form of Rockband. We had some drinks. And some more cake. Did I mention it has vodka-soaked cherries?

IMG_7976

I was awoken Sunday morning by the aroma of bacon. Turns out there was some French toast to go with it.

IMG_8044

Which I paired with some green juice, in an attempt to find balance.

IMG_8048

Downtown was the destination for the day, where I strolled around on my own, enjoying the misty rain and gentle breeze. And my iced green tea latte.

IMG00156

If only I hadn’t forgotten my camera. Then I wouldn’t have to subject you with these Blackberry photos. Lunch was at Lotus Pond – delicious vegan Buddhist food. The turnip cake is amazing.

IMG00155

I stocked up on Silk Road tea.

IMG_8065

And stole this chocolate bar from my friend. He said he’d probably never eat it. I was only helping to fulfill its chocolate destiny.

IMG_8066

I took advantage of some good sales.

IMG_8068

And picked up some new treats. Things I can’t find in Vancouver (yet). How does that even make sense?

IMG_8064

IMG_8067

Alas, the fun had to come to an end. And I had to pack up all my loot. And by loot, I mean food.

IMG_8063

I even had a treat for the ferry ride – my favourite lemon cranberry muffin from Market on Yates.

IMG_8052

IMG_8050

Back at home, I was greeted with presents as my sister had just come back from Disneyland. Do you think she knows me well?

IMG_8069

This note on the back of the white chocolate pretzels amused me.

IMG_8070

Because obviously, a resealable package is the key to portion control.

And to end the weekend – a little more cake.

IMG_8060

Speaking of cake – get the recipe here. You know you want to. Even if you aren’t a lush.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Grocery, Lunch, Restaurants

11 Comments on “A Visit To My “Other” Home”

1. June 1, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Aw!! You’re making me miss Victoria! And Lotus Pond; it was my favorite restaurant, soooooo delicious. 🙂 that cake looks so good. Man I must look at food blogs only before eating, so I don’t just get hungry all over again!

2. June 1, 2010 at 10:17 am #

I like the “resealable for easy portion control” concept. Me, being such a kind and thoughtful person would likely eat the whole bag if it was not resealable. i would hate for all those pretzels to go stale and not fulfill their pretzel destiny. so it would be my duty to eat the whole bag in one go lest the left overs go to waste. but thanks to the resealable bag, i don’t have to worry about that any more.

🙂

3. June 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

welcome back home (HOME #2) !!! OMG OF COURSE I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE THIS POST because im in victoria!! omg market on yates rocks.. they have beautiful muffins 🙂 how crazy that u cant get the tempeh in vancouver.. or the chia.. well at least u get a lot of the other great products u cant find here. hope u loved hopping around town and filling urself with old and new memories. wish the weather was a little nice tho! xoxo

4. June 1, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Sounds like a FUN weekend! And so much good food and food finds. I have to keep an eye out for both of those tempeh flavors and the chocolate chia. And I’m going to check out that recipe now…

5. June 1, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

Ooh! You’re making me crave fries! I also love those marinated tempeh strips–the sesame garlic flavor is my favorite.

6. highonhealthy
    June 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

I believe that I have only been to Victoria twice but I do remember it being quite beautiful. The ferry scares me away from visiting more often.. the lines always look scary compared to the lines heading to the Sunshine Coast. It seems that it’s kind of a veggie heaven and that makes me eager to visit again. One day.

Resealable bags do nothing. In fact, I hardly notice when a bag is resealable. I just notice the food.. 🙂

7. June 2, 2010 at 11:50 am #

What a trip. Everything looks SO good. I seriously wish I could find that marinated tempeh HERE, I don’t get why they can’t just sell it alllll across Canada! 😦

I want Disney pretzels!

8. June 2, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

hahaha.. thank you for only posting the one pic from the night! That cake was AMAZING, and it was SO awesome that you came over to party with me! I see you eventually got your caesars too – I’m glad those were rectified
    oh, market on yates, how I’ll miss you when I’m back in stupid ontario…..
    You said they have Green Cuisine tempeh in Vancouver, didn’t you? I’ve never tried the kind you got, I always get the Green Cuisine marinated tempeh blocks. They also do an indonesian spiced one… so yummy! would they last in the mail? I would mail you some… not sure if they would make it

9. June 3, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Love the post. It was a little hard to read the white type on the black background though. 😦

Amanda
    amandaonfoot.blogspot.com

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Chocolate & Cheese « from french fries to flax seeds - June 4, 2010

[…] decided to test out some of my Victoria purchases, starting with […]

2. A Taste Of The Weekend « french fries to flax seeds - October 24, 2010

[…] We hit up our old favourite – White Spot! Burgers were enjoyed by all. But when don’t I enjoy a burger from White Spot? They are my go-to place for a great burger. This time I passed on my usual BC […]