Fig-ure Something Out

Although today was my birthday (you know I’m totally fishing for birthday well wishes), you’re going to have to wait a little bit for me to compile the birthday fun from today. Instead, I’m looking for some insight on figs.

Figs? Yes, figs.

IMG_1384

Not the dried kind. Not the ones found in a little cookie we like to call Newtons. I’m talking plump, juicy, fresh figs.

IMG_1386

See, I bought a couple the other day after seeing them come through my till at work (one of perks of my job, seeing different products I didn’t know were in the store). I’m always up for trying out new fruits, as you know they’ll be chocked full of nutrients. What do figs have going for them?

• Good source of fibre
  • Good source of potassium
  • Source of calcium & iron

I knew I wanted to enjoy them in their fresh, raw state to get a true appreciation of them. Breakfast seemed like the appropriate meal feature my treats.

IMG_1388

I thought something simple would be best – yogurt, honey, granola. Nice and light, to let the figgy goodness shine through.

IMG_1389

I mixed some plain yogurt with cinnamon creamed honey (since that was the only kind we had), drizzled it over the opened fresh figs, and sprinkled on the granola.

IMG_1392

I had read somewhere that someone described the taste of a fresh fig as a cross between a peach and a strawberry. I was a little disappointed to find out that that was not true. In fact – I didn’t find them to have much flavour at all. Fresh fig fail.

If you are a lover of fresh figs, do you have an suggestions for me? Do you think they weren’t ripe? Do they really not have alot of flavour on their own? And what’s the best way to enjoy them? I’ve seen alot of recipes that pair them with a soft cheese and perhaps some prosciutto, which sounds lovely as an appetizer, but I was hoping for a breakfast application (and don’t say oats).

Help me fig-ure out what to do with the fresh figs!

Tags:

Categories: Breakfast, Fruit

9 Comments on “Fig-ure Something Out”

1. August 13, 2010 at 4:57 am #

i’ve been curious about fresh figs for a long time myself! i’m glad you took the plunge before i did though…hopefully someone’ll step up and offer some way of knowing which ones are good or the best way to eat them!

2. Christina @ Food.Fitness.Fun.
    August 13, 2010 at 5:31 am #

I always thought I disliked figs, because I’d only tried the green ones, until I learned that you need to try the black/dark purple ones, those are sweet and delicious!

3. marie
    August 13, 2010 at 8:14 am #

I LOVE fresh figs and have 2 small trees. I find that there is a huge variety of flavors in the different varities, so I suspect the lack of taste was just due to the particular variety you got. I typically eat them on a yogurt/cereal bowl or on a bed of spinach with some feta. I’ve never really sooked with them.

4. marie
    August 13, 2010 at 8:24 am #

And Happy Birthday a bit late! I hope you have a great one!

5. August 13, 2010 at 10:38 am #

I’ve only ever eaten fresh figs in Italy and they were quite tasty. Not sure how to incorporate them in a meal, though….

6. August 13, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I’ve never had a fig outside of a Newton, so I’m useless for ideas…but your breakfast looks fantastic!!

7. August 16, 2010 at 11:15 am #

ok… woah… let me compose myself for a moment here… I LOVE FIGS. LOVE.

There are indeed a bunch of different kinds. The dark purple ones are from Europe, and are FANTASTIC!!! The green ones grow in BC, which is awesome, and they are delicious, but not as peach/strawberry-like as the purple. Then within the green variety, there are white-flesh ones and pink-flesh ones. Judging from your photo, you either got a white-flesh one or a not-fully-ripe pink-flesh one. The white flesh are a much softer flavour, and of course nor-fully-ripe ones won’t be as flavourful either.

To judge ripeness, the figs should be really soft. Like, if you hold it in your hand you should be worried about mushing it. If it splits at the bottom with very little pressure from your fingers, it is ready to eat!! They even start to ooze their figgy goodness out the bottom when they are begging to be eaten. If the skin feel thick when you press it, or if it is not totally soft, pick another or wait it out. You know when a peach feels ripe, and has a bit of give to it? That’s not even close to ripe for a fig. It’s gotta feel like its guts are going to splatter.

I love ALL of them, but I am a bit nuts for figs… If you really want to taste the fig, just eat it raw! that’s usually how I eat them… and I usually can’t contain myself, so I wind up eating about 5 at once. If you want to enhance the fig flavour, I would try baking them lightly. I haven’t been able to wait for them to bake before in my life, but if you have the patience they would be fantastic drizzled with some honey or maple syrup or … some type of liqeur? and then baked. and then incorporated into your yoghurt/granola. though yoghurt has a pretty sharp flavour. maybe on top of some blended banana/coconut milk? goddamn… I could eat that right now… too bad I’m not in BC where the figs grow anymore!!!

well, hope the figs live up to your expectations next time, and that you are having a fun time in Vic!

8. Shirley
    August 17, 2010 at 9:06 am #

Figs are GOOOOOD!! And its the season of it too! I like dried ones, throw them into soups to add that sweet flavor.

9. August 17, 2010 at 11:18 am #

sorry – just looked at your first photo again and see that the ones you bought were actually purple ones! But the purple is only coming up the skin part-way, so they were definitely not ripe… try again, and look for ones that are fully purple and ready to fall apart in your hand. They won’t be as good when you buy them in BC because they will have been picked before they ripened. Try the green ones too, but make sure they’re also really soft!