Another Sad Goodbye

I had eluded to a trying event last week that I was unable to share at the time. Last Thursday night, my sister called me while I was out running errands telling me I needed to come home right away because something was wrong with my mom’s cat, Wilson. He couldn’t use his back legs and was crying out in pain. We called the emergency vet, and they told us we needed to bring him in right away. Once there, they informed us that he had a blood clot that had moved and was blocking blood flow to his legs. They sedated him, and put him on blood thinners and oxygen. But his lungs filled with fluid. Within a few short hours he had gone from happy and healthy, trying to share our dinner with us, to this heart-breaking state. We had to make the difficult decision to end his pain and put him to sleep. We were there as he took his last breath, telling him we loved him and that it was all going to be okay.

wil2

Wilson was the most gentle, loving cat. He always wanted attention, and would purr if you just talked to him. He loved to spend the day outside, sleeping on the hot tub lid. Now he’s in kitty heaven, hopefully playing nice with Ebony, and enjoying all the bowls of ice cream he can get his paws on. Our house has been a little bit quieter this past week. And tomorrow we have to break the news to my parents when they get back from their vacation.

Goodbye Wilson. You will be missed.

Wilson

March 21, 1997 – October 14, 2010

IMG_8593

As a kitten, in a photo I took for my photography class in high school.

IMG_8594

High school grad weekend, 1997. He was so tiny!

IMG_8599

stuff 056

stuff 033

Also a Canucks fan 😉

wilson1

misc 102

IMG_7384

Helping me with the blog.

fffs_lp 482

Even hanging out with Sienna on occasion.

IMG_1377

IMG_1390

Categories: Wilson

10 Comments on “Another Sad Goodbye”

1. Helena
    October 20, 2010 at 11:28 pm #

Aw, sorry about your cat, I can imagine how that feels. Looks like he had a great life with your family though.

2. October 21, 2010 at 6:22 am #

I’m so sorry to hear about Wilson’s passing!
    They truly become part of our family, and it’s very hard for us to the deal with something happening to them.
    He is definitely having a bowl of very creamy ice cream now.

3. October 21, 2010 at 8:53 am #

awww, sorry to hear about Wilson. Looks like he was really well loved.

4. October 21, 2010 at 10:16 am #

I’m so sorry. It was obvious that Wilson was a special part of your lives.

5. October 21, 2010 at 11:53 am #

Babydoll! This is so sad, Marianne! I’m sorry to hear Wilson became ill. What a tough decision to have to make…especially with your parents being gone. I’ll be hugging my furr babies extra tight when I get home! 😦

6. marie
    October 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

I am so sorry to hear of this! I lost 2 kittehs last year and know how heartbreaking it is. Again, so sorry for your loss.

7. October 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

I’m so sorry for you and your family’s loss, Marianne. The companionship one has with a pet is so meaningful. Thinking of you!

8. Buddy
    October 22, 2010 at 6:34 am #

My condolences for the loss of your furry family member.

9. Weighting For 50
    October 22, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Marianne, I am so so sorry for you and your family’s loss. Hold in your heart you did what was best for him at the end, and he IS playing with Ebony as we speak.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Third Farewell | french fries to flax seeds - September 25, 2011

[…] her colon, as well as a small heart murmur. But she’s no longer in pain, and can join Ebony and Wilson up in kitty heaven. Hopefully they have a never ending cheese supply – it was her absolute […]