Got a few spotted bananas hanging around?
Wanna do some baking?
Like chocolate? (is that even a question?!)
Then you gotta make this Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
makes 1 loaf
Take banana bread to the next level with a double shot of chocolate. Part healthy snack, part chocolate indulgence. Try it with a smear of peanut butter for a real treat!
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray.
2. Combine flax seed and buttermilk in a small bowl, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Mash bananas into the flax/buttermilk mixture. It’s okay if there are some chunks.
5. Add the honey and vanilla to the banana mixture, stirring to combine.
6. Combine the wet with the dry ingredients and add the chocolate chips. Stir until just combined.
7. Spread evenly into the loaf pan, and bake for 45 – 50 min, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Notes: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, use 1/2 cup yogurt, and 1/2 cup milk. Feel free to add a few extra chocolate chips, or chopped nuts, if it tickles your fancy.