Switchin’ Up Breakfast

Wow, I’ve really been slacking on posting since school has started up, haven’t I? That’s what happens when you have 6 classes, work 12 – 16 hours a week, try and fit in some exercise time, and have a social life. And even keeping up with that has been a challenge. I’d love to say I can do it all, but I’m a realist, and I know I have limits. Sleep has been taking a back burner these past two weeks, and has left me with one lovely head cold. It was inevitable really – so many people around me have been sick. Just means I need to focus even more on healthy, nutrient-filled eats coupled with plenty of fluids for the next week or so, and getting plenty of sleep, because I don’t want these sniffles lingering.

Something about being under the weather always makes me crave warm, hearty, nourishing foods. Nothing overly complicated – just good ol’ honest food. And this twist on morning oatmeal I had a few times last week fits that bill perfectly.

IMG_1392

Instead of oats though, I cooked up a bowl of deliciously chewy wheat berries.

IMG_1390

It might not be much to look at, but trust me, this was one satisfying bowl, chocked full of apples, raisins, and cinnamon.

IMG_1389

Wheat berries do take a long time to cook (45 min to 1 hour), so cook them up at the beginning of the week, and you’ll be able to enjoy them for breakfast with only a few minute of heating time.

Apple Cinnamon Wheat Berry Breakfast

serves 1

IMG_1391

• 3/4 cup cooked wheat berries
  • 1/2 apple chopped
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp golden raisins
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon (more or less, if you like)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter (or your favourite nut butter)

1. Combine wheat berries, apple, milk, raisins, and cinnamon together in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the apples are cooked and the wheat berries have absorbed some of the liquid. It will still be a bit watery.

2. Serve in a bowl topped with maple syrup and peanut butter. Enjoy!

This breakfast couldn’t be any easier, and is a great way to switch up your hot cereal. No need to limit yourself to oatmeal in the mornings – variety is not only great for your taste buds, but for your health as well.

IMG_1388

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Recipe, Vegetarian, Whole Grain

12 Comments on “Switchin’ Up Breakfast”

1. January 17, 2011 at 9:05 am #

Yum, that looks so good. Now I want a second breakfast. :p I’ve been getting back into eating oats after a while of not eating them. As long as there’s grains and peanut butter I’m usually a fan.

2. January 17, 2011 at 11:28 am #

I love wheat berries and was just thinking yesterday about making a breakfast creation. I ended up with steel cut oats this AM, but the wheat berries will be filling in soon.

I was so stressed with getting posts up last year after I started my job in September. I set a goal to step back in 2011 and not worry about the number. Some weeks will be 4 posts, some 1. I’m going to do my best at planning them and let the rest go. 🙂

3. January 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

I’ve always been kind of intimidated by wheat berries, but you’re making me think that preparing them is indeed possible!

4. January 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

You are such a busy little beaver! I hope you have some time for self-care in there somewhere (hmm).

5. January 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

Wheatberries are one of those thigns I can’t find around these parts. Must load up, next time I hit up civilization! 😉

6. January 18, 2011 at 11:21 am #

Wheatberries are great in yogurt, too! Hope you feel better already, Marianne!

7. January 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

That is such a great idea to use wheat berries. I love those chewy things, but it’s been ages!

Be sure to load up on Vitamin C!!!

8. January 21, 2011 at 8:15 am #

i made groats (well not wheat berries but gluten-free hot cereal version) for breakfast this morning too (altho i realize this was posted on the 16th hehe). when i looked outside at the weather, sheesh!.. definitely one of those days when its necessary to make a hot bowl of anything! i agree, no need to limit to just oats, theres so many nutritious grains out there that are really satisfying. i also like millet porridge too, it pretty delish 😉

xoxo

• February 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

I haven’t cooked up any millet in awhile – I need to get on that!

9. January 22, 2011 at 8:20 am #

oh and also Solstice luckily didnt smell bad when i went in but uno thats funny you mention that because i have a friend who goes there for the poetry slams they hold there all the time, and she mentioned something similar. but i wonder if it smells more on days after a heavy rainfall when all the stink kind of harbors around lol. i didnt sit in the back tho, where all the couches are, so maybe thats why. haha thats so funny tho!

xoxo

10. January 18, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

mmm, this looks really delicious. Never thought of wheat berries as an oatmeal type thing. Must try!

11. September 26, 2014 at 9:42 am #

I’d like to invite you to join our site http://www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit http://www.erecipe.com or contact me at erecipe00@gmail.com. We look forward having you in our network!