The Best Homework

…is the kind that doesn’t seem like homework at all.

IMG_1375

And the fact that you get to eat it afterwards?

IMG_1369

Well, that’s just an added bonus!

IMG_1377

You see, for my Food Theory Applications class – the one where we get to cook for 3 hours every Thursday – we have to do some recipe assignments at home. Basically, they involve finding a recipe from an approved source (not my own, not the Food Network, and not a blog), making it, then writing about it. Not unlike food blogging really.

IMG_1372

The only caveat being that we need to select recipes that reflect some of the concepts and techniques we have covered before the assignment due dates. For our first assignment, we had really only covered Eggs and Dairy and Flours and Baked Goods. So I chose…

IMG_1373

Berry Goodness Muffins from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. I figured it would combine both of our labs to date, both in the fact that it uses egg and dairy alternatives, and utilizes a variety of flours. Plus I just really wanted some muffins.

IMG_1371

It was your basic muffin method recipe – another concept we “learned” about in lab.

IMG_1377

You know, mix all your dry ingredients, then mix all your wet.

IMG_1378

The original recipe called for fresh strawberries, but they aren’t exactly in season. Plus we have 20+ lbs of blueberries in our freezer that we bought this summer. So blueberries it was.

IMG_1380

Mix your wet ingredients into the dry, but only until just combined. That’s the key to good muffins – don’t over mix!

IMG_1381

Before you know it, you’ll have 12 perfectly golden brown lemony blueberry muffins awaiting the ever important taste test.

IMG_1371

A few of my thoughts on the recipe:

– Don’t bother buying oat flour. It’s expensive, and it’s easy enough to grind up oats in your blender or food processor.

IMG_1374

– The nutmeg is a bit intense in these muffins, and I only used the smaller amount called for. I would omit it next time.

– Add the zest of the whole lemon. Blueberries and lemon are an awesome flavour combo, no reason to not amp up the lemony goodness.

– They were a little dry and crumbly. I might consider upping the amount of oil or milk. Just a thought.

– I would totally try the again once strawberries are in season, just to see the difference.

Best. Homework. Assignment.

IMG_1373

Can’t wait for the next one!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Baking, School, Snack, Vegan

10 Comments on “The Best Homework”

1. February 3, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

Um, I must agree the bestest most delicious homework ever. Hmmmm your muffins look delicious. Can’t wait for the next homework assignment either.

2. February 5, 2011 at 9:02 am #

That sounds like a fun class., one that forces you to learn about foods, cook them and then write about the experience. Sounds like blogger 101. Hopefully you won’t just get through it and then forget the lessons as many of us students do. You know , just getting through the semester, the quizzes and the tests, not to learn but to get a grade or move forward. Enjoy!

3. February 5, 2011 at 11:28 am #

Somehow your homework looks heaps more delicious than mine ever did! HA! 😉

4. February 5, 2011 at 11:41 am #

What a fun class! Definitely a good homework assignment. These muffins look great!

5. February 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Your class sounds like my experimental foods class! I can’t wait until we get started on the recipes–thus far, we’ve only done labs focusing on sensory evaluation techniques.

6. February 5, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

Now THAT is my kind of homework…sign me up! Those muffins look just delicious. You MUST have aced that assignment.

7. February 7, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Oh I loved that class: made my first souffle, got my first massive food induced gut rot from the dairy tasting class….we did NOT have homework though! We made those plain white flour, no additions muffins that were not much worth eating. Love Dreena’s cookbooks….way to support another local gal.

• February 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

I was sick during the dairy tasting class, so I didn’t get to enjoy any of the fun cheeses they had out. Which really, was a huge shame, because I love good cheese!

I like that you noticed how I went local with my cookbook choice as well 😉

8. February 8, 2011 at 10:59 am #

I could handle that kind of homework for sure! 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Grandpa’s Doukhobor Borscht Revisted « french fries to flax seeds - May 3, 2011

[…] my first assignment, I went with Berry Goodness Muffins from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan, and for the second assignment I chose to make Cheddar Walnut Spelt […]