Honey Vanilla Fig Spread

Remember those 30 ripe figs I had from my sister’s tree?

IMG_1381

So a couple of days later, my neighbour showed up at our door with another 16 figs from her dad’s farm. Fig overload!

IMG_1381

I knew there was no way I could eat all those figs as is before they went bad (even if they are ever so tasty). So I decided it was time to make a fig spread.

IMG_1368

I kept it simple – a little honey, vanilla, and a few plums for colour (thanks for the idea Heather!)

IMG_1380

After hours (yes hours) of simmering on the stove, I was left with this sticky, sweet, fragrant spread speckled with the little fig seeds. Delightful enough to eat by the spoonful, but deserving of a fancier application.

IMG_1378

Taking more fig pairing advice from my Facebook friends (speaking of – have you liked french fries to flax seeds on Facebook yet?), I created crostini with toasted filone bread, goat cheese, prosciutto, basil, and of course the figgy spread.

IMG_1372

Crunchy, creamy, sweet and salty little bites accentuated with the spicy bite of the basil. The basil really added that needed colour and flavour contrast.

IMG_1371

They made for a great summer lunch paired with a simple green salad – baby spinach, cucumber, chives, pumpkin seeds, balsamic, olive oil.

IMG_1386

Honey Vanilla Fig Spread

makes approx. 2 cups

If you find yourself with an over abundance of ripe figs, give this simple spread a go. Great on toast, oatmeal, or yogurt, it also makes for a nice contrast with savoury and salty foods. Try it out in the proceeding crostini recipe!

IMG_1379

• 20 ripe figs
  • 4 small ripe black plums
  • 1/4 – 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup water
  1. Peel the skin from the figs. If the skin is very thin, you can leave it. Roughly chop the plums, leaving the skin on.
  2. Place all ingredients into a large pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1.5 – 2 hours, until desired consistency is reached. Stir frequently to keep the spread from burning.
  4. For a smooth spread, use an immersion blender or transfer the spread to a blender of food processor.

Notes – Adjust the amount of honey depending on the sweetness of your figs and your own personal taste. Remember it will concentrate as it cooks.

Fig, Goat Cheese & Prosciutto Crostini

adjust servings to meet your needs

Looking for a fancy appetizer for your summer dinner party? Or perhaps just a fancy lunch for yourself? These crostini are simple to make, and hit all of the flavour notes – sweet, salty, spicy. Don’t omit the basil – it makes the dish.

IMG_1364

• rustic baguette or filone bread
  • olive oil
  • Honey Vanilla Fig Spread (see recipe above)
  • goat cheese
  • thinly sliced prosciutto
  • fresh basil leaves
  1. Preheat broiler in oven. Slice bread into 1 inch thick slices.
  2. Lightly brush each slice of bread with olive oil and toast under broiler. Watch carefully so they don’t burn, and flip to toast the other side.
  3. Spread 1 – 2 tsp goat cheese on each slice, followed by 1 – 2 tsp of fig spread.
  4. Tear prosciutto into pieces that will fit on your bread slices, and top the crostini with the prosciutto.
  5. Place a basil leave on each piece and serve.

Notes – This is really more of a method than an exact recipe – just adjust the quantities for your needs. You can also try other soft cheeses like brie or camembert in place of the goat cheese.

IMG_1382

I still have a few figs kicking around – any other suggestion on what I should do with them?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: BC, Fruit, Local, Lunch, Recipe, Snack

10 Comments on “Honey Vanilla Fig Spread”

1. September 6, 2011 at 12:24 am #

I need to stop reading your posts at night because I go to bed hungry.

2. September 6, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Great way to use those figs!!!

3. September 6, 2011 at 7:32 am #

looks AWESOME – I love the vanilla addition, and the pairing with basil! I’m in fig withdrawal right now, back in ontario, so I’m very jealous of your incoming figs… I put basil in a mango-peach smoothie, it was also awesome, I highly recommend trying it. and thanks for the link 🙂

• September 12, 2011 at 12:15 am #

Hmmm, and I have a lot of basil, as well as nectarines. Just missing mangoes…

Side note – figs = awesome in chocolate smoothies. Just saying.

4. September 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Yay! the green figs, now mine dont feel so alone haha! i was thinking of making a jam but didnt, but this fig spread you made is perfect that it makes up for my dissapointment lol. Btw, yes, it is normal to have felt slightly creeped out by my post of Katie’s birthday cutout… just be thankful your birthday is over because it would have given me an idea with a plateful of french fries and flax seeds LOL

xoxo ❤

5. September 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

It might sound odd, but I really enjoyed putting figs in a sandwich with goat cheese and grilling like a panino. Delish!

6. September 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

Oh wow, I love this spread! Figs are something I didn’t grow up with, other than in the Fig Newton cookies. 🙂 As an adult, though, I’m so intrigued by them. They will grow here and we planted a tree this year, but you don’t find them around here much at all which makes experimenting in the kitchen difficult. I love what you did with the crostini. Yum!

• September 12, 2011 at 12:10 am #

I’ve actually been using the last few ripe ones in smoothies, which has made me wish I had more! I’ll be posting a recipe for that soon 🙂

7. September 11, 2011 at 4:20 am #

Sounds delicious!! I can’t eat honey, I wonder if molasses would work? It’s so sad, I love honey, but it just gives me a really bad stomachache when I eat it. I love the idea of fruits/jams with prosciutto. Such a great combination. I had never thought to throw goat cheese in the mix!

• September 12, 2011 at 12:09 am #

Hmmm…I think molasses would probably be too strong of a flavour for the figs. Can you have maple syrup? I think it would be nice. Or perhaps brown rice syrup. Might have to play with the amounts depending on the sweetness you want.

And totally add the goat cheese. It gives you that creamy, tart addition to contrast the sweetness in the jam.