Fact – Healthy food bloggers (generally) love oatmeal.
Fact – Said bloggers like to top their oatmeal with things like nut butters. Melty, delicious nut butters.
Fact – Said bloggers like to add various ingredients to their oatmeal. Bananas seem to be the most popular addition.
Fact – Sometimes said bloggers like to get even crazier and add things like vegetables to their oatmeal. Perhaps zucchini?
Fact – I may just be one of those bloggers.
Banana Zucchini Oatmeal
Why not start your day off right with a serving of fruit and veggies in your oatmeal? Zucchini and banana combine to make a voluminous, delicious, and filling bowl of oats, similar to your favourite zucchini bread. Top it with your favourite nut butter, and you’ll be pleasantly full until lunch!
- 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1/2 large banana, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy – I used unsweetened soy milk)
- splash of vanilla
- few dashes of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- drizzle maple syrup (optional)
1. Combine the oats, banana, zucchini, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and flax seed in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until desired thickness – 5 – 7 min. Stir often.
3. Serve in your favourite oatmeal bowl, topped with the peanut butter and maple syrup.
Note – the more you stir, the more the banana breaks down and becomes one with the oatmeal. Since I’m not a huge banana fan, I make sure it’s completely combined, but you could leave it a bit chunky if that’s your thing.
So tell me – are you one of “those” food bloggers?