Facts About Food Bloggers & Oatmeal

Fact – Healthy food bloggers (generally) love oatmeal.

IMG_1367

Fact – Said bloggers like to top their oatmeal with things like nut butters. Melty, delicious nut butters.

IMG_1371

Fact – Said bloggers like to add various ingredients to their oatmeal. Bananas seem to be the most popular addition.

IMG_1368

Fact – Sometimes said bloggers like to get even crazier and add things like vegetables to their oatmeal. Perhaps zucchini?

IMG_1370

Fact – I may just be one of those bloggers.

IMG_1369

Banana Zucchini Oatmeal

serves 1

Why not start your day off right with a serving of fruit and veggies in your oatmeal? Zucchini and banana combine to make a voluminous, delicious, and filling bowl of oats, similar to your favourite zucchini bread. Top it with your favourite nut butter, and you’ll be pleasantly full until lunch!

IMG_1363

• 1/2 cup large flake oats
  • 1/2 large banana, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy – I used unsweetened soy milk)
  • splash of vanilla
  • few dashes of cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • drizzle maple syrup (optional)

1. Combine the oats, banana, zucchini, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and flax seed in a small saucepan.

2. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until desired thickness – 5 – 7 min. Stir often.

3. Serve in your favourite oatmeal bowl, topped with the peanut butter and maple syrup.

Note – the more you stir, the more the banana breaks down and becomes one with the oatmeal. Since I’m not a huge banana fan, I make sure it’s completely combined, but you could leave it a bit chunky if that’s your thing.

IMG_1366

So tell me – are you one of “those” food bloggers?

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Recipe, Vegan, Vegetarian, Whole Grain

7 Comments on “Facts About Food Bloggers & Oatmeal”

1. October 6, 2011 at 10:22 am #

That looks so flipping good.
    Seriously, what is it about bloggers and their oatmeal?
    Not going to lie….I don’t remember the last time I had a hot bowl of oats. Fail?! I still haven’t been able to break away from smoothies and cereal yet… I’ve been doing eggs a lot more lately too. I’m getting ready to embrace the oatmeal soon though, the temperature dip basically demands it. As do my tastebuds, I miss me some oats!

2. October 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

Genius! I’m all for more veggies 🙂
    I am so one of those bloggers…but I really do enjoy the comfort that a hot bowl of oats provides.

3. October 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Seriously, eh!?!? lol I would have never thought to go there! 😛

I’m not one of those bloggers. I mean yes I like oatmeal but sometimes I think bloggers (not you) do things just because other more popular bloggers are doing it.

Just a thought! 🙂

4. October 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Okay, you have me interested in trying this one Marianne! While I am not a green monster food blogger, I do like a challenge – I am going to try this tomorrow! 😀

5. November 1, 2011 at 5:34 am #

I love oatmeal in the winter. Now that November has arrived, I can safely start eating it without fear of anyone laughing at me in the south. I particularly like it with native honey.

6. November 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

that sounds delish!! zucchini bread is so darn good… so zuke oatmeal has to be amazing too.

love the obligatory pb melty close-up pic too!

hope you are well, Marianne!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Fudgy Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies | french fries to flax seeds - September 10, 2014

[…] It’s great grilled, made into noodles, or as part of a zesty relish. I’ve made zucchini fries, zucchini oatmeal, and zucchini banana squares. But never had I included this versatile veggie into brownies…until […]