I’ve said it before, but I’m going to say it again – muffins are my favourite thing to bake! They are so versatile and easy – I can use pretty much whatever I have hanging around the house to create a delicious, and nutritious muffin. I know muffins can get a bad rap, but those are the store-bought, sugar-laden monstrosities that are really just cupcakes without icing. When you make muffins yourself, you get to create something way better.
One of my go-to muffins is a good ol’ banana muffin. Inevitably every time I buy a big bunch of bananas, some of them will get forgotten (maybe on purpose) until they are well spotted or almost completely brown. When that happens, I have no choice but to do some baking – which clearly makes me heartbroken. I often think I will make banana bread, but then I quickly change my mind, and it’s muffins again.
I can never make just straight up banana muffins though – how mainstream! I’ve paired many a flavour with the humble banana before, but my favourite flavour combos have to be banana with peanut butter or banana with chocolate. As you can see, banana and chocolate won out here, because who doesn’t want a chocolate studded muffin? PS – maximize your chocolate dispersion by using mini-chocolate chips. It seems like you have more chocolate than you actually do!
These muffins are great for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert. All those little chocolate pockets make them seem like a decadent sweet treat, but the whole grain flour, bananas, minimal added sugar, and flax seeds pack some great nutrition in there as well. I bet even those “discerning palates” won’t notice all the whole grain fibre goodness in here – they are that good.
Whole Grain Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
makes 12 large muffins
Banana and chocolate is a flavour pairing made in heaven! These whole grain muffins come together in a snap, and make a great grab and go breakfast or after dinner treat. They are excellent as is, or spread with a little peanut butter. Yum!
- 3/4 cup milk (dairy or non)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with paper baking cups.
2. Combine milk, yogurt, and flax seeds in a medium bowl, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, chocolate chips, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Mash bananas into the milk mixture – a few lumps are okay. Add melted butter and vanilla, and stir until combined.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined – lumps are okay!
6. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin cups, and bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack
Note: use mini chocolate chips to make it seem like there is even more chocolate in every bite!
What is your favourite flavour to pair with bananas – chocolate, peanut butter, or something else?