Remember my last post, where I shared my Nutrition Month pledge to stick to my weekly dinner meal plan, so I spend less money, waste less food, and eat more nutritious meals? I would like to report so far, so good! I’ve definitely been relying on some of those go-to recipes to make sure I can’t use the excuse “I’m too tired to cook tonight”. And while I’ve shared lots of our favourite meals on the blog, I sure haven’t shared them all. So today you’re getting one of my boyfriend’s favourite dinner salads.
I’ve probably said it before, but salad isn’t exactly my favourite thing in the world, which probably makes me a bad dietitian, but I’m okay with that – there are plenty of other ways to get in all those colourful vegetables. But my boyfriend enjoys when a hearty salad makes it into the dinner rotation, so I feel like I also need to support that, because hey, he’s requesting a veggie filled supper. If I said no to that, I really would be a bad dietitian!
Now to be fair – I could probably get away with just making a chicken Caesar salad every time and he would be perfectly content. But that’s boring, and it doesn’t lend itself to working in a whole rainbow of extra vegetables. So I’ve come up with a salad that’s bursting with colour and flavour that makes use of basics we keep on hand, but that’s also versatile enough so I can use whatever fresh veggies I have in the kitchen. Which in my books means it’s a winner.
This simple but satisfying salad is a breeze to whip up any night of the week, especially if you already have some leftover cooked chicken. You’ll just need to spend a little time chopping, and then you and your family can assemble your salads and be eating together in no time. I love that this salad hits all the flavour and texture notes – a little sweet and smoky from the BBQ sauce, lots of crunch from the veggies, saltiness from the cheese, and creaminess from the dressing. And if you’re like me, it’s also a little spicy because you top it with extra salsa too.
Big BBQ Chicken Salads
Get out your favourite BBQ sauce, serve up some salad greens, and top it with what ever you have in veggie crisper. Easy enough for the busiest of weeknights, this colourful, hearty salad is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ – 1/3 cup BBQ sauce (we get ours from our local BBQ restaurant)
- 4-5 cups of romaine lettuce (or your favourite salad green)
- 1 cup raw vegetables, chopped (carrot, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, or whatever else you have)
- ½ cup corn kernels (frozen, fresh, and canned will all work)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (I usually add these, but we were out)
- Salsa & sour cream, or ranch dressing…for dressing
1. Shred your chicken breasts using 2 forks, and mix with the BBQ sauce. If it doesn’t seem saucy enough, add a little more.
2. Divide your lettuce between 2 plates. Top each plate with half of each topping (chicken, veggies, corn, green onions, and cheese).
3. Add your dressings of choice, admire your work, and dig in!
What’s your favourite hearty salad recipe? Let’s share the dinner salad inspiration!